Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is prog?
    Posted: August 22 2005 at 03:52

Hi all.

I think, progressive rock is probably the most confusing genre of music out there, because it's really not a genre at all.

It seemed to start as more a movement in the sixties, to push rock and pop music beyond the boundaries of the 3 minute single and combine it with different styles of music.  The Beatles, Frank Zappa, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Doors, they were all progressive rock bands.  It really didn't develop into a specific defineable sound until much later, when bands like Genesis, Yes, and ELP were at their height in 1972-75.  But surely, there's more to the progressive movement than that.

David Bowie, Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Queen, Led Zeppelin to name a few prog bands who are usually defined by different genres.  But the idea behind their music is the same.

This is the music I listen to.  And I consider it all to be progressive.  It challenges music.  In later decades these movements would become new wave, then alternative, then indy.  All non-genres that eventualy became genres defined by a specific sound.  Of course, due to personal tastes, I prefer some to others (mainly the Beatles/folk/hard rock influenced ones), but I respect all innovative artists who are willing to push the boundaries of music and go beyond the status quo.  Isn't that what progressive music is?  Or is it too broad a definition.

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 03:54

You will definitely enjoy some of the discussions and debates here.

Welcome!!!!

"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:23

Yes, you will find a lot of discussion on the subject "what is prog?" and the usual outcome is nobody really knows.

Post Reply Post Reply