Topic ClosedAnderson-Ponty Band, 3 November, 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anderson-Ponty Band, 3 November, 2015
    Posted: November 04 2015 at 14:28
I was very pleased to attend the Anderson-Ponty Band (APB) performance at the intimate Arcada Theater in St. Charles, Illinois last night!!  Some quick impressions: 

a) the venue was sold out, and the crowd was very, very enthusiastic! Of course, grey-beards were in abundance, but that's okay!  My friend who went with me saw Yes open for ELP in Chicago about 1970, and I saw their CTTE concert in 1972, so I think most of us were Yes veterans.

b) it was a long show, starting at 7:30 pm and lasting until 10:30 pm, with a brief intermission.  

c) I didn't make an exact set-list, but it seems to follow what others have written, namely a sprinkling of revised Yes songs, a bit of "Enigmatic Ocean" by Jean Luc Ponty, some original songs that are on the CD, and a bit of jazz-rock fusion jamming, when Jon was offstage to rest his vocal chords!  

d) Yes tunes included the reggae version of "Time and a Word," which Jon performed solo during his "Voice of Yes" tour a few years ago; "Wondrous Stories," "Owner of a Lonely Heart," "And You and I," in tribute to the late Chris Squire, and "Soon."  They also did "Roundabout," and one or two that escape my old brain right now! 

The quality of the concert was excellent!  Sound was well balanced, stage setting was attractive, and the venue was perfect for this music.  

Jon's voice was fantastic!  He literally sounded as good as he did in the 1970s, and was only constrained in the very highest range of his old material.  It was fun to see him re-invigorated onstage, surrounded by very good musicians who clearly admired Jon and enjoyed being with him.  

Jon and Jean Luc Ponty had a great chemistry together, better than I would have imagined on paper!  They truly seem to admire each other a great deal, and this goes back to when Yes and Mahavishu Orchestra shared a bill years ago.  They seemed very spry and much younger than their actual years.  

I didn't take many photos, this one is about the best I have! 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 16:58
Good to hear.  I will be attending the show on Friday. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 17:12
That is very interesting, and cool, Chuck! Wish I could see them, but the closest they are getting to me is Toronto, which is too far away. Glad you had a wonderful evening.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 13:31
Some fan videos are starting to be posted on YouTube and Facebook.  This is one of my favorite songs of the evening!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 22:58
The show tonight was excellent.  I expected it to be good, but it was much better than that.  It was also Jon's birthday tonight.  I have some RTF and MO albums but nothing from Jean Luc Ponty.  That will need to be fixed. 

Here is a link to a video on the Music Hall's website/ 

https://www.facebook.com/MusicHallDetroit

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 22:32
What is wrong with me? I simply can't relate to the wow factor others are feeling relating to this? :( I don't think it's very good, to be honest.
But what do I know, I am a nincompoop and maybe I heard the wrong songs, I don't know.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 21:44
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

What is wrong with me? I simply can't relate to the wow factor others are feeling relating to this? :( I don't think it's very good, to be honest.
But what do I know, I am a nincompoop and maybe I heard the wrong songs, I don't know.

Thanks!  I've given this same topic a lot of thought.  As a huge Yes/Jon Anderson fan, I would have liked more of his influence vs. Jean Luc Ponty's.  However, JLP brought in his veteran players, so it was very much a JLP band featuring Jon Anderson type of thing. 

Fans of JA get very emotional to see the guy alive & in good voice!  And, some of the songs worked VERY well, especially "And You and I."  Songs like "Wond'rous Stories" and "Time and a Word" were a let-down for me, but still better than with Jon Davison, since Anderson's voice was excellent. 

The guitarist, Jamie Glaser, isn't Steve Howe (although technically, I think he's better from a schooled in music perspective), the keyboardist sure isn't Wakeman/Moraz, and the bassist, although very good, is a typical jazz-rock thumper, whereas I prefer the Rickenbacker/plectrum sound of Squire behind Anderson.  It was what it was, and I'm glad I went.

My hope is that new material will emerge that will be more satisfying to us fans.  Jon is 70, so he doesn't have forever to play this game.  And, the live show I saw was far better than anything I've seen Yes do for years (via Youtube, I wouldn't pay to go see them).  

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 13:20
Never saw Yes....I came of age when Yes were already in decline.  I've had plenty of chances from the 9012Live gigs right up to the current tour, but I never felt the need.  However, I've seen the Steve Howe trio (with his son on drums); I've seen Jon on his solo Yes orchestral tour about five years back; and now I've seen the Jon-Jean show and was not disappointed at all.  In fact, the show blew me away - I wasn't expecting such chemistry, nor was I expecting Jon's voice to be so good. 

My question:  Why....Why....Why not get back with Yes?  Moot point now with Christopher gone but why, why, why didn't he give it a go?  His voice is in prime form and he's doing Yes material with what amounts to a cover band....why not?  Now there are two Yes cover bands out there.....missed opportunity, man.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 21:42
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

My question:  Why....Why....Why not get back with Yes?  Moot point now with Christopher gone but why, why, why didn't he give it a go?  His voice is in prime form and he's doing Yes material with what amounts to a cover band....why not?  Now there are two Yes cover bands out there.....missed opportunity, man.

Those of us with inside information seem to blame Howe more than anyone, although Squire had a big part as well.  

Jon was "fired" when his health prevented from touring aggressively, and once he recovered enough that they could have reunited, I think there were too many bad feelings. 

Yes were brutal on their friends...they fired Ollie Wakeman, earning the permanent ire of Rick...axed Jon, and then Benoit David...and said very incendiary things in interviews.  

Personally, I think it is best to just have the memories of the band that we had.  Here, viddy this!! 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 20:47
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Some fan videos are starting to be posted on YouTube and Facebook.  This is one of my favorite songs of the evening!

Magnificent ... gawd we need more of this kind of stuff in our lives! I sooooo want to see this!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 14:32
Hi,

Got the album ... fits in the year's top ten albums easily ... not quite best but close ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 02:24
Cstack3, thank you for the performance review, as it proved to be a motivating factor in my recently attending a Anderson-Ponty Band concert.

I was expecting the music to be slightly more jazz fusion-oriented and was a bit surprised at the reggae influence on many songs throughout the concert, particularly on the new APB songs (one of song even quoted Bob Marley's One Love), though I quickly got used to it. At one point, there was a bluegrass instrumental, as well.

I was really impressed with Anderson's strong voice and energy. In addition to singing, he also played a pair of unusually narrow-body acoustic guitars (see pictures) and a bit of percussion. Ponty, for his part, still proved to be a masterful violinist and integrated his instrument very well in Anderson's material. I really liked the excerpt from his 1977 solo album Enigmatic Ocean and plan on purchasing it on the strength of the performance alone. The entire band seemed to gel really well together and all the musicians got solo spots, a gesture I always appreciate.

Here is a list of the performed Yes songs, in rough order: Owner of a Lonely Heart, Long Distance Runaround, Wondrous Stories, And You and I, Roundabout, and for the encore, Yours is No Disgrace and The Gates of Delirium's final section Soon. They also played the Jon & Vangelis song State of Independence. Interestingly, at one point Anderson also recited the spoken-word introduction to The Revealing Science of God unaccompanied (at least that's what I think it was). The songs were reworked to suit the band's style, which I appreciated because I like it when a band puts its own spin on a cover rather than imitate the original. A few of songs started with new lengthy instrumental passages before I recognized the lyrics.

I sat in the second row and had a great view of the entire stage. The hall was filled nearly to capacity, the audience was very enthusiastic and there were multiple standing ovations. The atmosphere was very welcoming and I appreciated the fact that the music was not inordinately amplified so as to cause my ears to ache. The entire set lasted almost three hours, including the twenty-minute intermission.

A minor nitpick is the fact that the projected animation seemed to consist only of cloned Windows Media Player visualization effects superimposed at oblique angles. I also found a lengthy, unaccompanied, jazzy bass solo right after the beautiful Chris Squire-dedicated And You and I as out of place, although it was probably intended as a tribute Squire.

I was particularly impressed with And You and I and with encore Soon, with Ponty substituting a heavenly violin for Howe's pedal steel guitar.

Here are a few pictures taken with my cellphone (sorry for the grainy quality).

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 14:17
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Cstack3, thank you for the performance review, as it proved to be a motivating factor in my recently attending a Anderson-Ponty Band concert.

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to help motivate you!  Big smile

You shared a great review and the photos are fine, what venue did you attend? 

I'm curious how Anderson plans to juggle APB, the upcoming Anderson Rabin Wakeman project, and all of his other obligations!!  No complaints, he is keeping the quality of the music up there!!  

Edited by cstack3 - June 04 2016 at 14:17
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 04:54
Would love to see them! What a pity they only tour in USA and Canada, it seems... Cry
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 00:03
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to help motivate you!  Big smile

You shared a great review and the photos are fine, what venue did you attend? 

I'm curious how Anderson plans to juggle APB, the upcoming Anderson Rabin Wakeman project, and all of his other obligations!!  No complaints, he is keeping the quality of the music up there!!  

The concert was held on 4/28 at the restored Fox Theatre in Tucson. I was appreciative of the fact that APB let audience take non-flash photos. During the intermission, I had a pleasant conversation on Yes discography and lineups and other classic prog bands with a couple who use to play in an LA house band in the 80s. Unfortunately, I was the bearer of bad news, as they were not aware of Keith Emerson's passing.

Also, thanks for bringing up the Anderson Rabin Wakeman project to my attention, I completely missed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply