Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere things really better in the 70s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 23:48
^Yeah, I was gonna say that but wasn't exactly sure when she was born.
Magma America Great Make Again
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 05:56
Someone remind me, where have i seen this debate before Question
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 06:06
Blue Nun, Black Forest Gateaux, Brown everywhere, Berni Inns, everywhere closed on Sunday, mass strikes, loons, 3 day weeks, Ted f**king Heath, IRA blowing people to bits, mysterious fires at cottages in Wales...those were the days.

Edited by NutterAlert - November 17 2015 at 06:10
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 07:52
Weren't they just ? ;-)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 23:38
It's an interesting question since most who have posted here on PA were just kids then or not even born yet....based on the age polls lately.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 07:14
No question. The 70's was a highly creative era. I was in my teens and developing my drumming skills in the early 70's in the Bronx, NY. I played with everybody and anybody, anywhere and anytime. I lugged those drums all over the neighborhoods. Rolling them along on top of my wheeled trap case. At that time, I lived close by to George Benson. And the guys on his street all went nuts for George. Those older guys influenced my friends and I to get into music. Once I got hooked, I was all in. I started listening to Miles's Quintet stuff,George Benson's CTI stuff, James Brown funk, Jimi's unbelievable playing and Santana's new melding of Latin Jazz Rock. So when we played with other musicians we blended all that into our jams. These jams, many times mind-enhanced, endured for hours and that enabled us to explore dynamics, tone, the instruments boundaries. This strong merging of jazz, blues and rock around that time, helped create some great music. It's all that difference blending together. Then we heard FM Radio AOR and that started us listening to Procol Harum, Cream, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Tull, ELP and so on. It's all that difference blending together. But, it was fostered by a generation eager to hear it all the world over. That's really not the case today. Radios blasted the long songs and thought nothing of playing an album side. Today they need income and that means 3 minutes of music must be funded by 10 minutes of advertising. Unless you are a publically funded station and then you require a massive campaign every few months to pay up for the listeneing to keep going. It's a shame, cause it relegated the listener to hear only chopped versions of great songs and almost ALL must have vocals! Certainly the economy, the price of a pint at the pub, all had a hand in that period as well. Not the same today. Though I long for another creative ground-breaking. 

Deafmoon
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 11:35
I love the music of the 70s, but as a Progressive Metal fan, I am enjoying the new genres available today.  Now if you want to compare Symphonic prog now and then, there may not be a contest.  Let us add all the Eclectic prog and Progressive metal that spawned from those innovators.  I think groups like Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Symphony X, and Beardfish have created their own sounds from their influences and completely innovated.  Innovation can be overrated, and it is hard to make music that does not incorporate the predecessors. 

Edited by javajeff - November 21 2015 at 11:35
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 12:03
Listening to Caravan's Land of Grey and Pink has blissed me out with it's hippie philosophy. I think this was the album that finally decided me that the 70s were better.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 12:33
^make sure you listen to this one also....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:38
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 09:07
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

bah...  remind me.. which decade gave us Belinda Carlisle...

The '70s

so back to the original question. You want that ^

or this..

the 80's smoke the 70's

(oh Belinda.. I still love you)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 09:43
^ I saw them in San Diego in about 2003 and they put on a really good show.
My friend Michelle Penn opened for them so I was able to go backstage.
I met the bass player but didn't see Belinda anywhere.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 10:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the 80's smoke the 70's

That is the silliest thing you've ever said, Mick....and that's really saying something! Wink

Because of the b*****dization and MTV deprivation visited on the music industry in the 80s, these three releases and many like them would never have been released in that dismal, big-hair, flock-of-seagull-guano decade:

Triple live rock albums (with drum solos) at gold album status? Whole rock albums based on a classical composer? Platinum selling albums with 18-20 minute long songs? Albums that contained one song reaching #1 on Billboard? Six minute-long rock songs based on rhapsodies and great rock instrumentals of that length (like Frankenstein and Hocus Pocus) in top ten single sales? New jazz-fusion albums selling at gold or platinum with regularity (like Bitch's Brew, Romantic Warrior, Elegant Gypsy, Birds of Fire, Love Devotion Surrender, Head Hunters, Blow by Blow, Wired and Caravanserai)? Why, even your blessed Italian prog bands like Le Orme, Banco and PFM were back at their jobs waiting for tourists at Rome taxi stands by the 80s.

Never would have happened in the 1980s climate. But you had Boy George, of course. LOL

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 10:19
hahahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Wilchbla View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 10:34
Rock isn't dead but it's no longer the big dog on the block. It's become just another genre of music. I drive a school bus and about half the kids listen to Top 40 pop and the other half listen to country music. A couple like rap and only one kid, who is from Central America, listens to any rock. The other kids couldn't even tell you a Led Zeppelin song.

I'd say rock reached it's peak in the early 70's but that's really subjective. My older brother thinks it reached it's peak just before The Beatles showed up and then they marked the beginning of the end. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...
This is some mighty fine literature.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Damn, I'll say!  Clap
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 17:24
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Damn, I'll say!  Clap
A Tale of Two Progs by R.H. Dickens. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 08:39
in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112