Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which phases of Bowie's career do you like best?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich phases of Bowie's career do you like best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 05:54
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I think the span from Space Oddity to Scary Monsters is really excellent, with only a couple of missteps (Pinups and Lodger).

Outside was interesting but more miss than hit - the better songs on there are really good though. (The version of I'm Deranged on the Lost Highway soundtrack might be the best Bowie track of the 1990s).

Heathen was interesting, but I consider The Next Day his true return to form. And Blackstar is really, really interesting - a bit of a puzzlebox, that one, but it's really good.

it's interesting that many people don't like "Lodger". I think it is the best album he made, even better than "Low" or "Heroes". the first track on "Lodger" is in my opinion the weakest; the rest is brilliant

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 13:33
The second side of Lodger is my favorite side on the "trilogy".  Breaking Glass is my favorite track from the trilogy; Heroes my favorite album, but the second side of Lodger takes the cake.  Maybe best side of music of Bowie's career. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 13:24
My favorite album is 'Scary Monsters'...I don't really have a favorite era, just favorite albums. Aside from 'SM', some of my other faves are 'Hunky Dory', 'Heroes', 'Outside' and 'Aladdin Sane'.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 13:50
My favorite album is still the 1st one that I heard:  The Man Who Sold the World, when it had just come out.  I guess it could be considered part of the Ziggy period, but it always struck me as a bit of a one-off because it's SO hard rock.  So, I guess my favorite period would be Ziggy followed by Berlin.  My least favorite would be the Thin White Duke/Young Americans period, which I find unlistenable.  I like the Tin Machine albums.  Let's Dance is fun, if flawed.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 14:10
I'm a pretty big fan of his earlier, folksier stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123