1 [3.70%]
1 [3.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 15:55
My record speaks for itself in the teams I led for ground breaking AND setting new lows. LOL

What counts IMO, the purpose of this site, is perhaps to reach those knuckleheads like me that might write a band off might just check it out and see what you (and teams) see. Wink

well done sir! Thumbs Up As I said, in case my hidden meaning was missed. brazen and ballsy. I like it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 22:28
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

My record speaks for itself in the teams I led for ground breaking AND setting new lows. LOL

What counts IMO, the purpose of this site, is perhaps to reach those knuckleheads like me that might write a band off might just check it out and see what you (and teams) see. Wink

well done sir! Thumbs Up As I said, in case my hidden meaning was missed. brazen and ballsy. I like it.
Thank you, I did get the hidden meaning Tongue
But I have to credit support from my teammates and from a few others, among them someone you know quite well apparently Clap

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 07:14
Thumbs Up

hah. I didn't even realize the band had been added till I put foot in mouth with my first post as I like to drop into threads unannounced and ill prepared (ie reading the previous posts LOL).  I know jack sh*t about the band other than hearing the name is association with the almighty Bono.  I'll have to read through your reviews and perhaps pick one to check out. I'm pretty sure is it likely not something up my stylistic alley. Especially if anything like Iona which was a band that bored the frickin hell out of me when I saw them at Nearfest. Embarrassed

so who is next on your folkie hit list... .say Willie Nelson and I'll be your man. Clap LOL I will want his bio and his addition would be enough to get me off my non-reviewing ass and I'd review every damned one of this albums
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:09

Thumbs Up

hah. I didn't even realize the band had been added till I put foot in mouth with my first post as I like to drop into threads unannounced and ill prepared (ie reading the previous posts LOL).  I know jack sh*t about the band other than hearing the name is association with the almighty Bono.  I'll have to read through your reviews and perhaps pick one to check out. I'm pretty sure is it likely not something up my stylistic alley. Especially if anything like Iona which was a band that bored the frickin hell out of me when I saw them at Nearfest. Embarrassed

so who is next on your folkie hit list... .say Willie Nelson and I'll be your man. Clap LOL I will want his bio and his addition would be enough to get me off my non-reviewing ass and I'd review every damned one of this albums

not a fan of Iona or Karnataka myself after trying them both out on the presumption they were influenced by Clannad, which is probably true.  Clannad are the originals and did it much better.   You could check out my reviews or try Dulaman from the folk period and Magical Ring or Macalla from the rock period, or ask Raff which she would recommend.  I never gave their 90s work much chance because I felt like they were trying to emulate Enya who had left them for bigger (but niot better) things, but I see I was being somewhat unfair now that I listen to Banba, Lore, etc.  They really pioneered an ambient folk style, which sounds descended from choral music.

Re Willy Nelson, I think if you propose an artist we have to evaluate them.  oy, isn't he a country and western elder statesman?

Edited by kenethlevine - December 06 2015 at 08:10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:12
that's a relief... I had hoped you weren't a fan.

Iona was simply. not for me. LOL  I'm sure some like them though.  I'm heading towards your reviews later today and see if I can dial up the album that sounds most interesting. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:22
cool, I am heading to Atlanta for a conference and NOT taking a laptop, so I may well not respond till Wed night, but enjoy!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:44
life is good when you don't even realize what you have on your wall of music.

Raff just told me we actually do have some CD's by them.

must have been part of her collection when we merged ours hahahha

have a good trip Ken. Ever make it to D.C and we should hook up I have it as a standing invite to anyone who makes it here to look us up and get together.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:45
At present I just have two Clannad compilations, which I spin relatively often, though I used to have a cassette of Banba (which I liked quite a bit).  One of the compilation includes the title-track from Dulaman, which is quite gorgeous, and a few other songs from their early albums.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:46
really? I don't remember ever hearing them. I didn't even know we had them LOL You must have listened to them while I was work hahaha. Smart woman that you are. Micky loves to rock...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:55

really? I don't remember ever hearing them. I didn't even know we had them LOL You must have listened to them while I was work hahaha. Smart woman that you are. Micky loves to rock...

What about Pentangle then?Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:58
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

What about Pentangle then?Wink

Edited by micky - December 06 2015 at 08:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 09:23
yes Clannad's first is quite heavily influenced by Pentangle.  After that, not as much but obviously still there
Glad you like the track Dulaman Raff.  Honestly that album is a wonder to me, but I need to hold my tongue and let you hear it.  If I praise it too much it might set people up for disappointment.
If you get a chance, either of you, Clannad reviews would be much appreciated.
I will keep that in mind about DC.  Likewise if you come to Boston.  I have a music friend from Spain who stopped at my place on his honeymoon and we listened to music for a few hours.  His poor new spouse could see we were communicating at another level, like when we referred to "that song" by SENSITIVA IMMAGINE without having to say more than that!  I gave them a rare LP by Paul Brett that I had several copies of for their wedding present and sent them on their way with a few CDs for their road trip.  Fun!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 09:36
Boston? Cool!  For whatever reason Ken I thought you lived way out west. LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 10:01
^ I wish  Unhappy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 10:04
me too! LOL  If Raff and I do decide to stay here in the US when I retire.. we do go back home to Oregon. This place serves its purpose and I like the east coast to a certain extent but not the place I'd choose to be. The roulette wheel of life just sort of dropped me off here.

Edited by micky - December 06 2015 at 10:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 15:51
yeah Ken.  That Dulaman albums is priceless man. It really isn't my particular style. Neither is Pentangle but as Raff notes, quality and perfection ... added onto a heathy dose of jaw dropping beauty can overcome the need to rock man.  Well done Ken, not likely an album I ever would have heard if not for you and the folkie-insurgants. Keep the additions coming.  Say Willie is next and I'll name my next pet after you...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 18:15

yeah Ken.  That Dulaman albums is priceless man. It really isn't my particular style. Neither is Pentangle but as Raff notes, quality and perfection ... added onto a heathy dose of jaw dropping beauty can overcome the need to rock man.  Well done Ken, not likely an album I ever would have heard if not for you and the folkie-insurgants. Keep the additions coming.  Say Willie is next and I'll name my next pet after you...

just got back from Atlanta.  Glad you appreciated Dulaman, Micky.  
One of Delta's music selections was "In a Lifetime: The best of Clannad".  Nice but too much of the 1990s stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12