Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi, I知 New Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, I知 New Here
    Posted: August 23 2005 at 10:59

I stumbled across this great site while doing a search for Steve Hillage!  I started listening to prog when I was in high school in the early 80s.  I worked in a kitchen with an Italian chef who was really into prog and he got me listening to VanDer Graaf generator, Al Di Meola, and a host of other bands.  Had another friend who turned me on to things like Henry Cow, Gong, Matching Mole, National Health, the Residents. and lots of others.  I began listening to King Crimson, solo Fripp and Belew, saw Crimson on the Three of a Perfect Pair tour. I also like early Genesis up to Wind and Wuthering/Trick of the Tail.  Also enjoy Steve Hackett, Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel and the other Genesis related solo stuff.  I also like ELP, Yes, and a lot of the other prog "Standards". 

These days, with so much stuff available on CD that was out of print, I have become interested in these bands all over again.  I recently went out and bough the repackaged Gong albums Angels Egg and You, and am planning to check out Can next, which I've never really listened to before.  I am also a big fan of psychedelic music and enjoy the Super Furry Animals, Funkadelic, and am a long-time Phish and Grateful Dead fan, although I was never one of those people to pull up stakes and go on tour. 

I write a lot in my job and was hoping to use this site to write some album reviews and maybe concert reviews as well, if I can ever get out and see some more shows.  I live in the Boton area and have friends all over the world.  I travel to Germany at least once a year and am interested in finding out more about German bands.  My German friends have been helpful in pointing out some of the more interesting bands. 

I am less familiar with the new bands in the genre.  I have tried listining to bands like Dream Theater and Spock's Beard, but they don't teally do it for me. No offense to their fans. 

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 11:08
Hi there, welcome - from a (relative) newcomer to another! Sounds like you have well developed tastes! I think the site is pretty good, it's got me into a few new bands and some old ones I'd never tried listening to!

Careful on that Dream Theater comment - there's a lot of strong feeling about them, although personally I have to agree with your view... again., no offence meant... 
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 11:14
Welcome! I'm also in the Boston area.

Since you like psychedelia, you should come check out my band, Specimen 37 this Saturday at the Skybar in Somerville. We make what we call Psychetronic Rock. (Kind of like Pink FLoyd meets Ozric Tentacles meets the Residents, etc.). Check out our website (it's in my signature) for an idea of what we sound like, and we hope to see you there!

At any rate, welcome!
Pure Brilliance:
 Post Reply Post Reply