Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Musical Box Shows?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Musical Box Shows?
    Posted: December 22 2015 at 12:18
Hello,
I just recently bought tickets for one of The Musical Box's Selling England by the Pound show, but I stressed myself quite a bit over which show to get tickets for.
Has anyone seen any of their new shows?
What do you all think?
Also, what is the difference between The Black Show and the Selling England by the Pound show?
I've heard that it's the same music, but a different background and tweaked costumes, but I can't find much online about it.
Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 13:22
The difference between the black and regular is basically what you said. Different costumes and a darker theme. I bought tickets to the black one after seeing the regular two years ago. Looking forward to it very much.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 17:52
I saw their "Foxtrot" show in March, 2015, and it was sublime!  The stage set looked exactly like the cover for "Genesis - Live" and the music was on the money!! 

I'd also seen TMB perform "The Lamb" and would love to see their "Selling England" show!  

You'll have a fantastic time!  
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 20:58
Can't help you. I will say that they came to some venue in L.A. a few years back, and I blew the chance to see them. Supposed to be the next best thing, from what I've heard.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 23:27
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Can't help you. I will say that they came to some venue in L.A. a few years back, and I blew the chance to see them. Supposed to be the next best thing, from what I've heard.

They have played LA 4-5 times.  Here is a link to show coming this February:

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 15:30
^Thanks for the info. I've happened to consult the calprog web site a couple of times in the past, especially since they helped bring Steve Hackett to SoCal the last time he made the rounds (along with some high fallooting affair in Mexicali, I believe). Missed both shows but will try to talk the wife out of the funds to attend TMB in Feb., such being in the financial straights that I'm in.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jarhead81198 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 11:37
I suppose I should do a followup.
I went to the show at the Gramercy Theatre in New York, it was absolutely astounding.
It was listed on the website as the Selling England by the Pound show, but it ended up being the Black Show, which I'm not at all angry about.
To my knowledge, however, the Selling England by the Pound show is worth seeing over the Black Show if given the choice. It's close to the original shows that Genesis put on in the early 1970s.
The Black Show has a different stage setup, apparently some tweaks to the music and stories in the between, and altered costumes.
I haven't seen the Selling England by the Pound show, so I'll try to explain to the best of my knowledge.
I've heard that the music in the Black Show is sort of more relaxed and improvised, the lead singer Denis Gagné, makes a sort of screeching sound effect before performing Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, and the costumes are designed more for a darker show. Meaning the makeup on the lead singer's face glows in the blacklights more prominently.
All in all, if given the chance, everyone should see this show. It was asbsolutely mind blowing. It was very close to the original shows; I wasn't expecting Denis Gagné to sound so similar to Peter Gabriel.
The show that I went to was a standing show, so I waited outside a few hours before the concert began to assure myself a good spot, and I was in the front and centre, leaning against the railing. 
I understand that standing concerts aren't for everyone, including myself, but this was absolutely worth it.
I'll try not to spoil anything, but at the end of the song, The Musical Box, the singer came right to the front of the stage and.. Oh, I've already said too much.
I urge you to go see this show though. StarStarStarStarStar
Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 18:00
A friend of mine was at one of their shows the other night and he highly recommends it. The band completely nailed 70's Genesis, especially the singer. His only complaint was the drunk guy two rows behind him who decided to harmonize with the lyrics Tongue
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply