Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me an amp
    Posted: December 25 2015 at 12:14
Preferrably under $1000

(Sorry in advance for the long read)

I've been using a Fender Hot Rod DeVille (2 x 12) for a while. But I'm not really satisfied with it. It doesn't take overdrive/distortion as well as I'd like (too grainy). I've tried recording with it numerous times putting various pedals in the mix, rolling back my overdrive pedal, using both clean and overdriven channels, and messing with the knobs, but, in the end, I had to do some nasty EQ-ing. I wish I could say it was just when I was recording, but even when I'm just playing it sounds a bit grainy. I've also tried a friend's Hot Rod Deluxe, and encountered the same problem and his tubes were a little newer. 

The hot rod seem more compatible with single coil pickups where I'm more interested in a hot hum bucker sound. Something like this:

I know Ian MacKaye uses an SG with a Marshall JCM 800. I have an SG special, but I don't have the kind of money to get a JCM 800. Not to mention, I'm in a band with three guitars. Even when we turn down just past 2 (because before that the volume jumps) we're quite loud. The textures we use are a little too complex to have too much ear-piercing-ness clouding the mix, so I'm looking for something quieter than the JCM 800. But something that sounds relatively similar. An Orange stack is another reference for the kind of sound I want. But preferably a combo or a medium small head-cab duo. Under $1000. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 21:03
The amp tone in that clip reminds me a bit of the Mesa-Boogie Studio Series (warm, fat, tubie)--  don't know if they still make 'em, you might find one used -

Edited by Atavachron - December 25 2015 at 21:05
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 12:24
^They still make them it seems. It seems like a pretty nice amp. From what I've read, however, it sounds like it takes a minute to dial in the right tones. If I can find one around here, I'll definitely give it a try.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 23:12
Yeah you have to get the settings how you like, but that doesn't take long to learn.   Better than some fuzzbox that's mostly gonna diminish tone, not add it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 08:31
Fender Deville 4x10 is what I use and I absolutely love it. Has a bit more of a scream than the 2x12 and it's got some serious gain. Usually can't turn it up past 4 without overpowering the entire band.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 12:05
How's it fair in a recording setting?
 Post Reply Post Reply