Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 08:35
Bowie's music has been my main inspiration for the last 25 years, to such an extent that not much else has found favour with me. Lots of fans abandoned his music when he released 1. Outside, which I considered brilliant. I've been to his musical Lazarus in November of last year, but now new era has begun in which we can no longer depend on Bowie coming up with fantastic new ideas?

So I wonder: what next? Is there any recent music out there which can measure against Bowie's genius? I am aware of some of Bowie's preferences and have made some of them my own (Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Suede, Arcade Fire, The Pixies, Kraftwerk, Jacques Brel).

Does anybody have any tips for a musically lost soul? I'm not so much looking for similarity of sound, but rather for high standards of innovation and emotional value.

Cheers,
Sando
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 12:46
That is quite a tall order
Welcome to PA btw! Always cool to see folks from Holland chiming in (been an orange fan ever since Ruud Gullit).

High standards of innovation and emotional value? ...and it doesn't have to sound like Bowie but rather show the same fondness for the music's many different opportunities?

Try Animal Collective. Strawberry Jam or Merriweather Pavillion.
Kayo Dot's two most recent albums (Coffins on Io and Plastic House On Base Of Sky) may also be of interest. Both share this dystopian 80s production - sounding like something David Bowie and David Sylvian could've cooked up during a wild peyote trip.
Speaking of whom, if you haven't already checked out Sylvian, then you probably should. He's always reminded me of Bowie (in a good way). The same can be said about Brendan Perry from Dead Can Dance, although he has more of a Jim Morrison boom to his voice. Either way, Dead Can Dance. Try out their masterpiece Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
sandokanfirst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 06:13
Thanks, @Guldbamsen!

I realize it's a tall order, but I very much appreciate an actual music lover's take on this rather than relying on one of (for instance) Amazon's algorithms. I will certainly check out the music you mention. The names are somewhat familiar, but I've never delved into them.

I'm afraid that Dutch football has rather gone downhill since Johan Cruyff and Ruud Gullit Wink
Musically, very little of value is produced here in my opinion. So I'm grateful we can listen to music from all over the world.

Cheers,
Sandokanfirst
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 15:39
my first instinct called out the name of late Nelson Roger Prince, hes very eclectic, genious  and  awe inspiring,  also artist known as Joe Jackson should be sought out and Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, and Tom Waitz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12