Topic ClosedRIP Glenn Frey of Eagles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Glenn Frey of Eagles
    Posted: January 18 2016 at 16:35
RiP to the LEGENDARY main songwriter defacto leader of the Eagles, the man himself along with Don Henley.

My you enjoy Tequila Sunrises for an eternity

Edited by Icarium - January 18 2016 at 16:46
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 16:37
I just read this.....what the krapp is going on!!!!!

RIP Glenn Frey.....amazing music The Eagles created
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 17:08
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 17:33
R.I.P.... so sad
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 17:37
Wow!  This year is getting crazy, another one gone.

What a good song writer, vocalist, and musician.  Such great harmony those classic Eagles songs had.  RIP and thanks for the music Glenn.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 17:41
"Hotel California" was the first song I learned how to play in B minor.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 20:50
Frey's early acoustic songs with The Eagles like Take it Easy, Tequila Sunrise and Desperado were tunes people loved to hear playing guitar around the campfire and at parties. The Eagles got a little too glitzy and pop after that for my tastes, although Joe Walsh revitalized their sound for a minute. But Frey was born in Royal Oak, MI, so he's always been a next-door neighbor, in a manner of speaking.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 18 2016 at 21:10
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 20:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I just read this.....what the krapp is going on!!!!!

What's going on is the music icons of a generation are getting old.  But we all know that.

The Eagles were an excellent and boring band.   But rest peacefully, Glenn.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 21:49
Guess he wasn't livin' right.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 22:18
Wow....all these guys in their late 60's passing on.....kind of scary since I'll be 65 in July.
RIP Mr Frey....

Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 06:28

The Eagles were an excellent and boring band.   But rest peacefully, Glenn.

[/QUOTE] ^ Fully agree !!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 09:15
Eagles was my favourite band in high School, mostly becouse of a greatest hits record, i spun it daily.
Lots of it become my rutinal basic for Learning bass guitar, the bass line of Hotel California is as cool as the guitar solos, so melodic, and fun. Timothy B Smith is an unsung and singing hero. Hes sining bass playing is so delicate. The New kid in town. and Feldor and Welsh are such a good combo of fierce angry guitardome. and from that docu i saw in summer, Don Henley is a better drummer in the earlyer  days, fluid and explosive.

Skilled band who knows how to save the dynamite and techicality, elegant and tunefull Music. Glenn Frey was sort fo the oak tree of the band, the wice dude who sort of pulled the strings and had a firm idea of what Eagles were and should be, maybe a lite dictatorical. Hes no slouch on solo guitarist either actualy, but is sort of left in the shadow of the mighty two, of Felder and Walsh.

But i respected Freys integraty, hes ideal was to me, a good one, and was the key factor to why Eagles was so effective and worked so well IMO.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 09:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Frey's early acoustic songs with The Eagles like Take it Easy, Tequila Sunrise and Desperado were tunes people loved to hear playing guitar around the campfire and at parties. The Eagles got a little too glitzy and pop after that for my tastes, although Joe Walsh revitalized their sound for a minute. But Frey was born in Royal Oak, MI, so he's always been a next-door neighbor, in a manner of speaking.
Yes.  As a fellow Michigander I agree.  I knew somebody who knew somebody who went to school with him in Royal Oak.  LOL  I go through phases with the Eagles where I really like them, but at other times, they are too Country sounding for my tastes.  Their Greatest Hits has always been one of my favorite compilation albums. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 13:53
Well I just could not let this one go by without paying my respect.  Forgive me if I wear my heart on my sleeve for a moment... 

I was sad when Bowie and Squire passed away, two artists deserving of great respect and who brought me much enjoyment.  But when I saw the words on my monitor that Glenn Frey was dead the tears came as if I'd lost a friend.  People can say what they like about the Eagles being corporate, or crap, or both.  To me they were beloved postcard Americana inextricably tied to years growing up, restlessness, and long nights.  Nights and experiences that were real and went with songs from a faraway LA band.  They weren't there to be groundbreaking or excite highbrows, there were other groups for that. 

Frey was the coolest Eagle, the pushy one, the loudmouth perhaps, rocking out in a laid back 70s combination of long hair, flannel shirt, and shades up top.  He was the undisputed leader of the band despite Henley's magic ballads.  Like the rest of the Eagles nothing was particularly extraordinary at first glimpse.  Despite commercial success, in many ways the individuals of the Eagles flew below the radar save for Henley's 80s pop solo career.  But when you put these guys together they were perfect.  Despite all the stories of drama and cocaine, they were absolute perfectionists when it came to the craft.  Every song a simple story of human condition, every vocal backed by flawless harmonies, every strum of Frey's acoustic adorned by Felder, Leadon, and/or Joe Walsh with just the right nuance or sizzle.  And when a song needed a real pretty shot of cowboy moonlight, Randy Meisner stunning range could deliver it like nobody since. 

Rarely did my friends and I play Eagles albums at home in the same way we played rock albums by other bands.  We didn't have to because the Eagles rode the FM airwaves every time we turned the car key.  Glenn Frey became the voice of the open road and the muscle car experiences of our youth.  Windows down, warm summer wind blowing through the potent mix of rock and smoke.  Even though we may not have given them the same "rock god" respect we gave other harder rock legends, the Eagles were always there.  People road tripped to "Take it Easy", they partied to "Life in the Fast Lane", they made out to "Hotel California", and they ran out many long nights to Take it to the Limit,  Lyin' Eyes, New Kid in Town, Tequila Sunrise, Wasted Time, 7 Bridges Road, In the City, One of these Nights, and quite literally, countless others.  That's why I was crushed today.  Another voice I thought would always be around isn't.  People seem to take the Eagles for granted.  Only when one starts to look at the track lists of album after album do we realize we probably shouldn't.  And Glenn was the heart and soul. 

Thanks Glenn for many a pretty song...

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 16:38
The Eagles is one of my favourite non-prog bands. I spin their two live albums 'Eagles live' and 'Hell Freeezes Over' regularly. R.I.P. Glenn! Cry
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 04:36
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Well I just could not let this one go by without paying my respect.  Forgive me if I wear my heart on my sleeve for a moment... 

I was sad when Bowie and Squire passed away, two artists deserving of great respect and who brought me much enjoyment.  But when I saw the words on my monitor that Glenn Frey was dead the tears came as if I'd lost a friend.  People can say what they like about the Eagles being corporate, or crap, or both.  To me they were beloved postcard Americana inextricably tied to years growing up, restlessness, and long nights.  Nights and experiences that were real and went with songs from a faraway LA band.  They weren't there to be groundbreaking or excite highbrows, there were other groups for that. 

Frey was the coolest Eagle, the pushy one, the loudmouth perhaps, rocking out in a laid back 70s combination of long hair, flannel shirt, and shades up top.  He was the undisputed leader of the band despite Henley's magic ballads.  Like the rest of the Eagles nothing was particularly extraordinary at first glimpse.  Despite commercial success, in many ways the individuals of the Eagles flew below the radar save for Henley's 80s pop solo career.  But when you put these guys together they were perfect.  Despite all the stories of drama and cocaine, they were absolute perfectionists when it came to the craft.  Every song a simple story of human condition, every vocal backed by flawless harmonies, every strum of Frey's acoustic adorned by Felder, Leadon, and/or Joe Walsh with just the right nuance or sizzle.  And when a song needed a real pretty shot of cowboy moonlight, Randy Meisner stunning range could deliver it like nobody since. 

Rarely did my friends and I play Eagles albums at home in the same way we played rock albums by other bands.  We didn't have to because the Eagles rode the FM airwaves every time we turned the car key.  Glenn Frey became the voice of the open road and the muscle car experiences of our youth.  Windows down, warm summer wind blowing through the potent mix of rock and smoke.  Even though we may not have given them the same "rock god" respect we gave other harder rock legends, the Eagles were always there.  People road tripped to "Take it Easy", they partied to "Life in the Fast Lane", they made out to "Hotel California", and they ran out many long nights to Take it to the Limit,  Lyin' Eyes, New Kid in Town, Tequila Sunrise, Wasted Time, 7 Bridges Road, In the City, One of these Nights, and quite literally, countless others.  That's why I was crushed today.  Another voice I thought would always be around isn't.  People seem to take the Eagles for granted.  Only when one starts to look at the track lists of album after album do we realize we probably shouldn't.  And Glenn was the heart and soul. 

Jim, very nice sentiments.  All songs I know by heart and still sing along to every time I hear them, whether on the radio or on my iPod.  I never had the chance to see them play live, but this past summer while vacationing in Ludington, MI, I saw an Eagles tribute band perform and while watching them perform, I think I finally realized just how much I really liked this band.  Glenn Frey will be missed.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 07:33
this song is Glenn,,, and the special time were the electric guitar entrances in the second chorus, is so cool,

nice fender rhodes in this
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 15:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Jim, very nice sentiments.  All songs I know by heart and still sing along to every time I hear them, whether on the radio or on my iPod.  I never had the chance to see them play live, but this past summer while vacationing in Ludington, MI, I saw an Eagles tribute band perform and while watching them perform, I think I finally realized just how much I really liked this band.  Glenn Frey will be missed.

Thank you Scott.  Here's one of 'dem pretty Glenn songs for you.....kind of a mellow one but I love the care taken with the vocals.....and Felder's little embellishments are SO nice...enjoy my friend.  And turn it up, this particular video has stellar sound! 

Edited by Finnforest - January 21 2016 at 15:09
 Post Reply Post Reply