Topic ClosedTop songs on not so good albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:51
Originally posted by amity62 amity62 wrote:

Rush - red sector A

Interesting choice. Grace Under Pressure has never been one of my favorite Rush albums but I would have picked Between The Wheels. That songs kicks ass
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:08
"Mozambique" from the Amon Düül 2 album "Vive la Trance"

definitely the outstanding track on this album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:23
Love all of Vive La Trance and think of it as something of a companion to Wolf City. Jalousie fx has always been a personal fave.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:38
I kinda liked Vive La Trance too, even though AD2 is generally a bit too out there for me.  I seem to remember really enjoying "Apocalyptic Bore".  I was encouraged by Micky to check out Wolf City and tried it once but it didn't make a big impression.  I'll give it a few more chances
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:46
Apparently different people have different favourites on Vive La Trance; for me this would also qualify for this thread because overall I don't like it that much, but Jalousie is great.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 10:44
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah I sorta suspected that
I have never gotten into Hemispheres and it's not because I haven't tried.

<div zoompage-fontsize="13" style="">
<div style="" zoompage-fontsize="13">eh, nobody likes everything right? That said, I think you're batsh*t crazy Wink

Hah! I'd completely forgotten about my previous posts in this thread Seems like my tastes haven't shifted that much in terms of what I don't like.
Oh and don't worry you're most definitely not the first person to call me that (although the words are a little different in danish)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 10:53
^I'm with you on Hemispheres.  EVen though I enjoy The Trees somewhat as well, the title track is a huge, heavy cinder block tied to that album's leg that sinks it straight to the bottom
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 10:57
In high school I adored Hemispheres, and Moving Pictures, but I think so much depends on when you hear an album. We are on a magical mystery musical tour, and I heard it at the right time in my journey. Were I to be exposed to it now I am confident that I would not be nearly so impressed, or enjoy it nearly so much, as I did back then. It's not an album that has appealed much to me for many years.

For a band I loved then, and before then, and still dig, Pink Floyd.

Edited by Logan - September 18 2017 at 11:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:00
Well said...even if I have some friends who would disagree with the both of us - so much so that we'd probably end up with the cinder block tied to our legs

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 18 2017 at 11:01

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:01

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

In high school I adored Hemispheres, and Moving Pictures, but I think so much depends on when you hear an album. We are on a magical mystery musical tour, and I heard it at the right time in my journey. Were I to be exposed to it now I am confident that I would not be nearly so impressed, or enjoy it nearly so much, as I did back then. It's not an album that has appealed much to me for many years.

For a band I loved then, and before then, and still dig, Pink Floyd.

No doubt. Context is everything.

Edited by Tapfret - September 18 2017 at 11:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:05
Greg the ninja...

I entirely agree with your sentiments though: time and place is everything...oh and that fickle thing called the mind; meaning where is your head at, are you relaxed/wired/happy/sad/on your way to the tractor meet/on death row/forgot your orange juice and just couldn't cope anymore/etc etc.
This is why I genuinely adore some albums today....that I hated with a vengeance when I first started out with them.
Maybe just maybe Hemispheres will join that club although I seriously doubt it. There's not much to 'hate' on the album, it's just too meandering for my tastes is all (hah and that is coming from a prog electronic nut!).

- Douglas Adams
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:13
I was about to argue that even high schoolers should know better than to lavish Rush with endless praise, but then I remembered that I listened to f**king Europe in high school. Carry on, Rush fans.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:18
Ahhh good ol Europe.
Hey Jim I was listening to the Grease soundtrack and Boney M at one point in my life so don't workry about anything. My mother obviously steered me down a dangerous path but I have since then recovered fully.

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:20

Greg the ninja...

I entirely agree with your sentiments though: time and place is everything...oh and that fickle thing called the mind; meaning where is your head at, are you relaxed/wired/happy/sad/on your way to the tractor meet/on death row/forgot your orange juice and just couldn't cope anymore/etc etc.
This is why I genuinely adore some albums today....that I hated with a vengeance when I first started out with them.
Maybe just maybe Hemispheres will join that club although I seriously doubt it. There's not much to 'hate' on the album, it's just too meandering for my tastes is all (hah and that is coming from a prog electronic nut!).

It's an album that I could pretty happily listen to right now, but it's not an album that calls to me "play me". Unlike progressive electronic, which you know I adore, the meandering does not take me on a trippy trip. There's a hypnotic and mind altering, or cosmic, quality to such much electronic music that I don't find in Rush's music. Electronic is more of a meandering journey into the mind -- sometimes quietly meditative, sometimes more intense. It's an experience that is very different. You could describe this experience far better than I can even if each experience has a subjective quality quite unique to the listener. On some journeys I like to meander, with others it just creates more tedium.

Edited by Logan - September 18 2017 at 11:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:32
That's a good way of describing it. There is music made specifically around 'meandering' ideas - like Schulze for instance...but instead of ending up like big gulps of notes and tones flabbing around seemingly without any direction it becomes this spacious room of sound that takes on an oceanic stoicness; ie the meandering is sought out and investigated, whereas (most) rock music very easily can end up uninteresting if it goes down the meandering route. It does work for some though. A fair few Krautrock bands turned the monotony of motorik beats into something wholly different...but again was well aware of what they were exploring.
It's when music unexpectedly turns out meandering that I personally jump off the bandwagon...but yeah one man's meander is another man's favourite prog excursion...or something to that effect.

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:48
So well said, you did not disappoint. It really is about the space that is created. To use a bad film analogy, Electronic music is rather more like watching a Wim Wenders, or Lars von Trier, film with the way they work with space to evoke a feel, Whereas Rush is more like a film that doesn't have space to breathe and meanders in an unsatisfying way. Kind of like the the movie The Adjustment Bureau. I love Philip K. Dick, but ugh, I thought that movie was not good. Maybe some Star Wars type stuff would be a good comparison for what I mean with Rush, and 2001: A Space Odyssey is more in the electronic music world.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:09
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^I'm with you on Hemispheres.  EVen though I enjoy The Trees somewhat as well, the title track is a huge, heavy cinder block tied to that album's leg that sinks it straight to the bottom

I think it's like a balloon that elevates it into the clouds. La Villa is pretty good too Big smile 

Being a Rush fan and not liking Hemispheres is a pretty odd concept to me. And that's coming from someone who wasn't exposed to Rush until about 1980/81.

Edited by Jeffro - September 18 2017 at 12:13

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:16

...but yeah one man's meander is another man's favourite prog excursion...or something to that effect.

This is true. Hemispheres absolutely evokes a feeling. It's just a different kind of feeling. Camera Eye is another that fits the bill.

My face IS a maserati
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 15:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So well said, you did not disappoint. It really is about the space that is created. To use a bad film analogy, Electronic music is rather more like watching a Wim Wenders, or Lars von Trier, film with the way they work with space to evoke a feel, Whereas Rush is more like a film that doesn't have space to breathe and meanders in an unsatisfying way. Kind of like the the movie The Adjustment Bureau. I love Philip K. Dick, but ugh, I thought that movie was not good. Maybe some Star Wars type stuff would be a good comparison for what I mean with Rush, and 2001: A Space Odyssey is more in the electronic music world.

I like that analogy. I make the same kind of comparison when trying to formulate the difference between the vast majority of psychedelic music I listen to vs the kind I don't. It's basically the same thing that attracts me to electronic music - that 'waving along in the dark with but a mere flashlight' kind of approach has always resonated with me. Transcribed onto music it means fumbling about, loosey-goosey, in-the-moment-satori and all that kind of jazz...whereas the other type of psychedelic music, often the one that comes from the ol US of A ahem(;), is more structured and riff based often drawing inspiration from metal. Didn't used to be like that though. I definitely hear where most of the early Krautrock bands got their mojo from (even if some still claim that Krautrock was about wiping the slate clean and starting over - which is impossible but a commendable notion indeed) granted they did make it a lot more freaky...but the US were still on with the esoteric wild and at times unstructured beauty of psychedelic music back when flowers, paint and acid were a match made in heaven. Some folks still dig these artifacts or so I'm told.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234