Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTriumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard turns 40!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard turns 40!
    Posted: February 12 2016 at 18:29
          Exactly 40 years ago, German 70s Symphonic Prog band Triumvirat were in the midst of recording their fourth studio album, entitled "Old Loves Die Hard". The band were recording this between Jan. 5th and Apr. 6th, 1976, at EMI Electrola Studio 1.
                        This record featured for the first time new British Lead Singer Barry Palmer, who answered an ad in music magazine Melody Maker, looking for a replacement for previous Lead Vocalist Helmut Koellen, who had left the group at the end of 1975.
                         There was also a returning member in Dick Frangenberg, who was Triumvirat's original bass player.
                 There was also use of the Cologne Children's Choir, and backing vocalist Jane Palmer, and Sax player Charlie Schlimbach. 
                     Old Loves Die Hard was released in June of 1976. Despite the fact that there was no real tour in support of the album, it sold pretty well, and had worldwide interest created in it, scoring a No. 1 position in Portugal, and entering the top 100 in the USA. 
                  The album, split up into 7 tracks, gravitated between songs with strong vocal delivery, and totally instrumental numbers.
                        Singer Barry Palmer would also appear on the two subsequent Triumvirat studio albums "Pompeii" (1977), and "A La Carte" (1978).
                        Instrumentally, and vocally, the album is a strong, solid effort, and to this day remains an intriguing opus of the band.
                        Below, is a rarity, a Japanese promo lp copy of Old Loves Die Hard, with the North American cover featuring a mouse looked at through a magnifying glass

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 18:46
A fine album indeed.
At the time of release I was a bit disappointed though.
But I still play it on a regular basis.
Shake & bake.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 00:50
Thanks, Doug!  As always, your dedication to all things Triumvirat amazes me!!  
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 08:06
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks, Doug!  As always, your dedication to all things Triumvirat amazes me!!  
You're most welcome, Chuck. Thank you for your continued interest and support. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 18:16
Time for a Steve Wilson Remix??
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 11:16
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Sounds like a great idea, JD. I posted a message on his "Steve Wilson remixes" facebook page to that effect.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 17:44
I love this album as well, the History of Mystery 1 & 2 are splendid pieces , showing off the Fritz piano mastery (Pffff!) , while Panic on 5th Avenue is a tour de force! I said it before and will say it again I prefer Triumvirat over ELP any day. And night! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 08:47
How I discovered T-Rat.

1972, I was 14, and as always I headed downtown to do my usual Saturday album hunt. I had gone to Sam's, Records on Wheels and A&A Records and was making my last stop at an independent store. As i was browsing I heard the most magnificent sounds coming from the stores stereo. I headed right to the cash register and asked the guy what was that? He showed me the LP cover of Mediterranean Tales. I told him I'd take it. It was around $20 CDN as it was an import. Huge amount to spend in those days, but I felt it was worth it. I placed my money down he did his thing and handed me back the bag with my change. Later when I got home and was checking out all my purchases I opened the bag and found my original cash in the bag on top of the album. So I got the album and a few bucks back in the process. I went on to purchase every T-Rat album as they were released up to A La Carte.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Sounds like a great idea, JD. I posted a message on his "Steve Wilson remixes" facebook page to that effect.
Steven Wilson desecrated 'Tull's A Passion Play merely by editing out that small fadeout between record sides during The Hair Who Lost His Spectacles. A rather pompous move that didn't improve things any. I'll stay away from his remixes in the future as a result.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 16:45
I picked up an original  used copy of that about 2 months ago at the local vinyl shop.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply