Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeyboard Recommendation for Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyboard Recommendation for Prog Rock
    Posted: March 18 2016 at 15:24
Hey, I ll create prog band with my friends. Im originally bass player. But i want to play keyboard in this band. So im looking for keyboard for prog rock music. But my information about keyboards synths etc. very little. I dont know where do i start. Which keyboards or synths is best for prog and why? Which features do i care? In internet there s a little information about this. Especially prog rock keyboards. And i should say that, i have a low budget. Max 1000 $. 
 Sorry for poor English :)

Edited by Gahpar - March 18 2016 at 15:25
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 10:00
Hi Gahpar, welcome!  I'm a kybd player (among other things) and the absolute minimum basics I look for in a "prog friendly" synth are good Hammond organ sounds, at least 4 or 5 good lead synth sounds, a decent acoustic piano sound and most importantly for me, a synth that you can load mellotron samples into.  This guy on ebay called "vintagekeyboardsounds.com" sells samples of an actual mellotron M400 for $20 in many synth formats...I'd check him out and see what sample formats he has and start looking for synth/samplers that support those.  You'll probably also want a synth with some decent on-board effects processing (at least reverb and hopefully some delays) unless you plan to run your synth through effects pedals.  

For all those features you'll likely be looking at what are called synth workstations.  I play a Yamaha Motif XF-7 which does all this (and infinitely more) but is unfortunately way out of your price range.  I know the Motif has a little brother called a MOX for about $1000, but don't know if it's also a sampler.  If you don't care about mellotron, then a non sampler might be ok.  Some non-samplers have voices they call "mellotron" but they're usually very poor attempts at capturing the magic of the real thing.

Happy hunting!
 Post Reply Post Reply