Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony Iommi in Tull - rare photo at "rehearsal"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Iommi in Tull - rare photo at "rehearsal"
    Posted: March 29 2016 at 05:10
I recently saw an item on eBay that stated "original press photo 1968 Jethro Tull".

I was inquisitive; the item description just stated "these are all photos once in The HEMEL Hempstead POST newspaper archive, majority on the rear have a press stamp".

I thought OK, must be the original Tull line up with Mick Abrahams but then looked at the photo and low and behold there is Tony Iommi on lead.

The thing was, yes it was at the Stones' Rock and Roll Circus "Gig" BUT I had never seen this photo before and it was obvious that it was taken at "rehearsal" before the actual film shoot, as Anderson is not in his dressing gown and Glenn Cornick, Clive Bunker and Iommi are in entirely different outfits to that seen in the film.  I went ahead and bid and won a bit of history...... 9 quid well spent ...well, I thought so anyway!

Here is the photo below as well as the back of the photo as well. I had a chuckle to myself with the writing on the back of the photo "JETHRO TULL" "pop" group   Dec\68 

Edited by BarryGlibb - March 29 2016 at 05:12
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 05:14
This lasted a day or three. Ian didn't like pot-smokers............
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 07:44
Yes, great photo!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 10:41
Hi,

He talks about it in his Face to Face with Rick Wakeman. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 13:20
Hmm....he didn't like pot smokers....LOL.....I saw that Wakeman interview with Ian and I don't recall that remark but he did say that Iommi just wasn't a good fit for the band and what Tull were wanting to do musically.

Well...nothing against Iommi but Barre was a much more versatile player and imho a technically better player regarding the various things that Ian Anderson would want out of the band in the future.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 29 2016 at 13:22
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 14:13
The main requirement for Tull members after the original band were all gone was that they do what they were told. There was no "Jethro Tull", just Ian Anderson with sidemen.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 03:42
Ian Anderson spoke about Iommi in a recent interview in Prog magazine. It seems that the main problem was Iommi didn't turn up to rehearsals on time, and Anderson obviously doesn't like lateness.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 11:28
Iommi has stated in interviews that he left Tull because the interpersonal dynamics were very strange. 

He tells the story that during a lunch break from band rehearsal, they went to a pub and Ian was sitting alone while Cornick & Bunker were at a different table.  Tony takes a seat at Ian's table and they eat in silence as not a word passes between them.  After lunch, a shocked Cornick & Bunker tell Iommi that nobody is allowed to sit with Ian.  This was the opposite of what Tony had with Ozzy, Geezer & Bill as they were very tight and all friends, so he decided Tull wasn't for him and went back to Earth.

Re: the photo...fantastic!  Never have seen this one before...I have the 13" x 10" black & white photo book which was released back in '91 but out of print now.  It only includes 1 shot of Tull w/Iommi and is of course, different than the OP's photo.

Product Details 

Edited by The.Crimson.King - March 30 2016 at 11:34
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 11:25
I dig early Tull and most of their records up until Heavy Horses, but there's no doubt that a lot of the critical backlash against the band was brought on by Ian.  His pretentious BS pissed off critics from Lester Bangs to Robert Christgau......and his condescending attitude toward his fans makes me wonder why anyone would want to carry on as a fan after the music started going south.  That interview where he slams Genesis and Gentle Giant as prog dinosaurs.....I just hope he was being ironic (which I doubt) - something tells me this guy still thinks he's some sort of genius instead of a long-winded schmo who copped Roland Kirk's schtick and recruited some talented musicians to do his bidding.  Screw Ian Anderson.....but I still won't throw away my copy of This Was!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply