FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor review: Kalle Ylitalo - Expansion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For review: Kalle Ylitalo - Expansion
    Posted: April 07 2016 at 04:20
Here's some info about the upcoming album. Please contact me if you're interested in writing a review. :) Thanks! 

You can check out more info about me from: www.kalleylitalo.com

Kalle Ylitalo - Expansion

Panda Music

Release date: May 4 2016

On Expansion, due to be released in May, Kalle Ylitalo and his band experiment with timbre and open space. The album's atmosphere and mood alternate from hopeful to distressed, from static to energetic. The compositions shift smoothly between progressive rock, dub, afrobeat and jazz. Ylitalo’s Nordic melodies and potent bass playing are accompanied by the bold and experimental soundscape of guitarist Jukka Kääriäinen and the rousingly skillful drumming of Janne Mathlin. On the album – and occasionally on stage – the trio is joined by saxophonist Otto Eskelinen and horn player József Hárs.

Expansion is inspired by theories concerning the expansion of the universe and Ylitalo’s daily meditation practice. “Expansion is a fascinating phenomenon, both at the scale of the universe and that of the breath. Through the practice of meditation, the entire human experience begins to gradually manifest itself as a series of transformations, such as expansion, contraction, oscillation, attachment and release. Expansion is an artistic view of this endless dance of change”, Ylitalo describes his motives. ”The album consists of simple compositions that serve as a musical context and landscape for the musicians. I wanted to leave a lot of room within the compositions so that the music could be freely formed in the hands of these fantastic instrumentalists. I look forward to live performances, because I see infinite possibilities for different interpretations of the songs.”

Kalle Ylitalo is best known for his work as a composer for video games (Oceanhorn, Momoka) and as a member of the progressive rock collective Stringpurée Band. Currently he is also working on a series of solo pieces for various instruments, titled Illuminations. Jukka Kääriäinen performs with the bassist legend Teppo Hauta-Aho and Helsinki Soundpainting Ensemble. Janne Mathlin is also a member of Esko Järvelä Epic Male Band and Kings Of Moonshine. Otto Eskelinen is known from The Mystic Revelation of Teppo Repo and József Hárs from The Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra.

”There is a deep and distinctive artistic voice to be heard on Kalle Ylitalo’s Expansion. The bass guitar sounds decisively at the core of the music, but if needed, can also tell a story tenderly. The album is however not only a solo endeavour, but also the daring adventure of an evenly scintillating and fluently communicating power trio. The featured horn players support the organic and hypnotic songs, which are like musical short films. They comprise an empowering, visual and exciting journey.”

Jarmo Saari

guitarist, composer

Edited by Kalle Ylitalo - April 07 2016 at 09:15
 Post Reply Post Reply