Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Dream Theater Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 04:07
Can't wait to see their concerts again and again!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 09:34
Funny how this thread hasn't had any posts for so long....

Anyhow, Laz Junior expressed a wish to see DT live, so tickets booked for Cardiff in April today
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 14:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Funny how this thread hasn't had any posts for so long....

Anyhow, Laz Junior expressed a wish to see DT live, so tickets booked for Cardiff in April today

I'm not surprised Steve...The hardcore DT fans I think are gone and even so the last couple releases have been so uninspiring. I bought tickets to last years May show but conflict with my sons last lacrosse game prevented us going. I was bumbed but really not too much as I had no desire to hear all of the Astonishing live, heck to this day I have yet to play the whole thing thru, and I only own a digital download, nothing physical of that album.

I love DT, but clearly that love stops at BC&SL.........My son enjoyed the shows, he has seen them twice. First time when they opened for Iron Maiden and on the ADToE tour. We stood in line almost all day on that one as it was GA tickets, paid off we had like 3rd row seats...but he was only 12 I think, and fell asleep about 30 min into DT show then woke up with about 30min left......here he is, poor kid was tired this was probably 10pm, sporting his ADToE shirt and all LOL. He did get to shake Petrucci's hand as the bus pulled in to the back of the venue, he ran back there and watched them all get off, sad I did not get a picture of that.

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 15:53
Thank you for digging out this thread which had fallen by the wayside. I took the occasion to re-read it. It seems that I am not the only one who has problems with Jordan Rudess's playing style. He sometimes sounds as if the following dialog between him and his mother happened in his childhood:

Jordan: Mum, I want to learn guitar.
Mum: No way, you'll learn piano. Has more culture.
Jordan: OK, then I'll learn piano. But some day I'll find out how to play guitar on that darn thing!

I liked Kevin Moore better.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 21:32
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Thank you for digging out this thread which had fallen by the wayside. I took the occasion to re-read it. It seems that I am not the only one who has problems with Jordan Rudess's playing style. He sometimes sounds as if the following dialog between him and his mother happened in his childhood:

Jordan: Mum, I want to learn guitar.
Mum: No way, you'll learn piano. Has more culture.
Jordan: OK, then I'll learn piano. But some day I'll find out how to play guitar on that darn thing!

I liked Kevin Moore better.

I do like Rudess on DT... actually, I believe he's better suited to the rest of the band (on the other hand, Moore gave a different take on the sound of the band that helped to complement the band). However, I believe Rudess could do much more. He seems to concentrate to play only symphonic prog keyboards, but he can do much more. Some more piano... there are a few piano parts from him that really sound beautiful within the songs, but are not many and are too short. Or for example, something like what he did with Steven Wilson on Grace for Drowning to spice things within the sound of the band, which is becoming more stale with each release.
Davidf60 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 04:07
Dream Theater are one of my very favourite bands, I have all of their studio albums, several of their live DVD,s including the deluxe edtition of Live at Luna Park which is truely superb. 
One of the things I really appreciate with DT is you always get a lot of music for your money, a lot of bands albums are barely 40 minutes long which really bugs me.
I must admit The Astonishing did shock me on first play,  but I don't think you can knock any band for doing something different and now after many plays it's really rather good.
mathausen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 08:12
I will love Dream Theater until the last day of my life!!!Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 20:57
Originally posted by Davidf60 Davidf60 wrote:

Dream Theater are one of my very favourite bands, I have all of their studio albums, several of their live DVD,s including the deluxe edtition of Live at Luna Park which is truely superb. 
One of the things I really appreciate with DT is you always get a lot of music for your money, a lot of bands albums are barely 40 minutes long which really bugs me.
I must admit The Astonishing did shock me on first play,  but I don't think you can knock any band for doing something different and now after many plays it's really rather good.

Actually, I often prefer when the bands make somewhat shorter albums... usually when they try to fill up to the last minute of the CD, they end up putting fillers and such. This may be one of the reasons I don't find any DT album to be a 5 star masterpiece, while they are one of my favourite bands... actually, I think almost all of the albums up to Silver Linings have enough songs I love to make 40 or 50 mins 5 star albums. The problem is, often different people love different songs from each album, so how to choose the right songs to make the masterpieces?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 10:12
hmmm there hasn't been much time for a playing of DT so "The Astonishing" album first than who now`s!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
LTocher View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 01:57
Love almost every DT album... the self titled and black clouds are a bit less enjoyed, though. Both feel kinda rehashed and soulless to me (with the exception of certain songs). And a seemingly unpopular opinion is that the astonishing was a bit too short on the second disc haha, I really enjoyed the cheesy musical-theatre nature of it all and thought it ended a bit abruptly.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 02:14
Over the years my love for many DT albums have diminished but I still think I love Awake a lot. There is something about that albums dark and really personal atmosphere of that album that they never really did before or after it. 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 03:05
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Over the years my love for many DT albums have diminished but I still think I love Awake a lot. There is something about that albums dark and really personal atmosphere of that album that they never really did before or after it. 

I fully agree, Awake is easily their best and most unique imo. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123