4 [80.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ennio Morricone - L'arena or Ecstasy of Gold
    Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:11
Just two 60s Ennio Morricone tracks off different 60s soundtracks for "westerns".

"L'arena" (1968) off The Mercenary and much later used in Kill Bill Vol II when the Bride unburies herself.

"The Ecstasy of Gold" (1966) off The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:34
When it comes to Morricone, I put on the BLUEBEARD soundtrack.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:39
^ The only Morricone you listen to?

Interestingly I don't have that one, and I have lots of his 1970s soundtracks.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:44
I vote for L'arena even if I love both tracks. In this article, http://flavorwire.com/141457/10-songs-that-will-get-you-high-according-to-science , L'arena is the first piece of music they list as one that can get you high by increasing dopamine levels.

I wanted to keep the list short to make it easier for people who don't know the music, or need reminding since these are well known, to listen. I was tempted to make it three with Man With a Harmonica, but the two I chose I think work well as a pairing.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:31
Ecstasy of Gold
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 11:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I vote for L'arena even if I love both tracks. In this article, http://flavorwire.com/141457/10-songs-that-will-get-you-high-according-to-science , L'arena is the first piece of music they list as one that can get you high by increasing dopamine levels.
Intersting, but I still have a deeper or longer lasting relationship with The Ecstacy Of Gold perhaps and embarrassingly because of my Metallica-fanboyism as a kid. 

- Now desperately trying to locate that Bluebeard OST - apparently a glaring omission in my more than 70 titles ++ Morricone-collection. 

But of course its silly - bordering on idiocy to stick to one Morricone OST. But its a perfect excuse to dig up my old Progressive Morricone-thread 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 13:44
That is one massive Morricone collection you have. I have less than 30 albums of his, but I haven't sought to increase it in a few years (still, I have more Morricone albums than albums by anyone else). I was impressed by the Hateful Eight soundtrack.

I think maybe Guy means that that is just his particular favourite, but I'm too big a fan to stick with one, a dozen, and more of his OSTs, though most of what I have is from his late 60s to mid 70s period. Talk about a prolific composer. I've got lots of his from 1972, but not the Bluebeard (it's listed at discogs but not at rateyourmusic, that I can see).

Here is a track from it off youtube:

Incidentally, I know how Metallica has introduced their concerts with Ecstacy of Gold, but here's one of their versions for those that have not heard Metallica do it.

I love Ecstacy of Gold, but still surprised not to see L'Arena getting any votes other than me (not that many people voted at all). I would have thought this scene alone would have made a few posters here fans of it:

Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 21:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I think maybe Guy means that that is just his particular favourite, but I'm too big a fan to stick with one, a dozen, and more of his OSTs, though most of what I have is from his late 60s to mid 70s period. Talk about a prolific composer. I've got lots of his from 1972, but not the Bluebeard (it's listed at discogs but not at rateyourmusic, that I can see).

Yes, Logan, that is quite correct.  I probably should have added the word "first" to my comment.  I have many Morricone soundtracks, the earlier, odder being my favourites.  But some of his "bigger" films are in the archives.  The BLUEBEARD soundtrack has such a mysterious, evocative and melancholy combined with ecstasy feel about it.  It is far the best thing in the film.  It's on a level like Nino Rota's score for CASANOVA by Fellini.  Now for those searching for it, there was a U.S. vinyl release, but on CD I found a slipcase edition
from Italy or Scandinavia under the films Italian title, which is something like BARBARU ( I apologize for my inadequacy at this moment- my copy is inconveniently filed behind some rather heavy tubs and it is difficult to reach it this minute ).  However, if you give me a day, I can excavate it out and supply you with complete information.  I think the soundtrack is well worth owning and I played many, many times on SPACE PIRATE RADIO.

best to everybody...
 Post Reply Post Reply