FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnglishness and English Phlegm in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 01:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Having grown up on Teesside and in Newcastle I'm with Dave (and Dean)

I would like to believe it is not really about being with anyone. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion and so I'm really delighted for us to be able to share different opinions, discuss, learn (in my case) in a polite and affable manner. That's one of the great things about Progarchives forums. Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 03:14
I guess the epitome of the kind of Englishness the OP is referring to, and self-consciously so, would be the band England (natch...) and their album Garden Shed:

Excellent musicianship for sure - but for my taste, too twee.

That record came out in 1977. I would have been nine. My experience of England, at the junior school I went to in Leeds, was a bit different. The question that if you were unlucky the big lads would ask you in the playground was whether you were a Mod, a Rocker or a Punk - the third element having been added about a year previously. And yeah, Leeds and Bradford were so massively behind the times that Mods vs. Rockers was still a thing there in the late seventies. The answer you gave to the question didn't really matter, though, it was just a pretext to thump you.

Of course your tribal musical identity at that age was passed down from older brothers, if you had them.  Apart from my mate Carl who idolised Elvis and wore a bootlace tie to school (1977 would turn out to be a bad year for him) I don't remember anyone having much interest in actual music beyond TOTP and what was on the radio.  Some lads had Northern Soul patches on their denim jackets, but that was an older brother thing again.  I didn't have one, but of my friends who did, most had gone punk. That didn't mean they'd thrown their Pink Floyd albums away, though - they weren't daft, after all.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 04:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by malsader malsader wrote:

Not meaning to digress from the main topic of the posting, but I have to correct you on the matter of "Britishness".
Britain is not England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Britain is just England Scotland and wales. The term The United Kingdom refers to England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, hence the correct term being: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The name Great Britain is actually the Greek term for the largest island in the island archipelago of the British Isles, the next largest island they called Little Britain ('mikris Brettanias') which we now call Ireland. Since this is an island grouping defined by geography and not an arbitrary scribbling of lines on a map drawn by kings, princes and generals the island of Ireland will always be British...

Didn't the Greeks call the main island Albion, because of the white cliffs of Dover, seen from the continent?

I used to live in Deal and work in Folkestone, so I went through Dover every day. Actually, the white cliffs are green when you get up close to them due to mould and algae. ;-)

malsader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 09:21
You are absolutely correct. I am referring not to the historical/geographic naming but to the modern political one. I am not a fan of Wikipedia but here goes any way:
and
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 09:45
Top Gear got lot of phelgm la britannia
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 12:33
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by malsader malsader wrote:

Not meaning to digress from the main topic of the posting, but I have to correct you on the matter of "Britishness".
Britain is not England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Britain is just England Scotland and wales. The term The United Kingdom refers to England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, hence the correct term being: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The name Great Britain is actually the Greek term for the largest island in the island archipelago of the British Isles, the next largest island they called Little Britain ('mikris Brettanias') which we now call Ireland. Since this is an island grouping defined by geography and not an arbitrary scribbling of lines on a map drawn by kings, princes and generals the island of Ireland will always be British...

Didn't the Greeks call the main island Albion, because of the white cliffs of Dover, seen from the continent?

I used to live in Deal and work in Folkestone, so I went through Dover every day. Actually, the white cliffs are green when you get up close to them due to mould and algae. ;-)

well, no doubt that up close... you'd get the same thing in Boulogne (called Blanc Nez cape) area and the Normandy cliff too in that case ... Last time I was in Hastings (October under the rain) , the cliffs were whitish too

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 08:46
It is probably no coincidence that prog emerged in England of all places. But I don't think "English phlegm" - whatever that may be! - played a major role. I conjecture that the following factors were involved:

1. England was the place where rock and roll matured - and returned to America after the Payola scandal and several rock'n'roll stars disappeared in jail, the army or the realm of the dead, giving way to Brill Building pop until the Beatles and their ilk invaded.

2. England, with composers like Tippett and Britten, was the last stronghold of tonal classical music in the second half of the 20th century in the free world, resisting against the serialist paradigm that had taken over on the Continent and in North America by then. This enabled English rock musicians to draw on the tradition of tonal classical music without seeming to fall out of time too much.

3. Related to the above, the influence of Anglican church music on progressive rock has been pointed out by various scholars.

4. In England, romanticism had married with progressive political thought, while elsewhere, it had been more or less highjacked by the right. Everywhere else, the left was technocratic. This was something that strongly influenced the ideology of progressive rock.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234