Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Smokers in Australia to pay $45 per pack by 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSmokers in Australia to pay $45 per pack by 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 15:56
I think most smokers understand that sh*t and respect it...  what was it .. 2 or 3 years ago when Virginia finally banned smoking in bars.  Really wasn't much of any complaint from us. So cigarette breaks outside became as much a part of the bar experience as getting ones ass out of your stool to make trips to the john. 

Most of those young ladies didn't smoke, and likely wasn't fair or even particularly healthy for them to breath in our damn 2nd hand smoke. Good law

not that bit of empathy stopped us from smoking in bars in the first place..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 20:27
In the immortal words of John Wayne, "Anyone can quit smoking, it takes a real man to face lung cancer."

If cigarettes are going up to $45 a pack, I'm buying some grow lights, a humidifier and enough aluminum foil to cover the walls and ceiling of my attic. An ounce of tobacco is going to cost more than an ounce of pot! 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 23:25
California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill into law today that raised the smoking age from 18 to 21.
The law also restricts the use of electronic cigarettes in public places.

He vetoed a bill to allow counties to vote on a tobacco tax to offset the cost of smoking related healthcare.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 23:52
Pretty insane but hey, the cost (which is pretty high here, at least $1000 a year at the very light end) has always been a distant, secondary thought to most smokers I knew, even in regards to quitting. Maybe at $45 it'd actually achieve the hard and fast result of getting lots of people to quit? 

Semi related well not really: I always found it odd so many call it a tax on the poor, but then will say how it's a choice, a right. 
The latter is absolutely true, it's a choice, and yes, it disproportionately impacts the poorer, but what about the choice? If you choose to smoke, well you know what you're gunna pay for it, and it's not a target of the poor, poorer just smoke more. 

I am not anti smoker, if anything I feel bad how vehemently angry so many get over it and treat smokers like they're hitler. Just I kinda hate how so many try to twist into an unfair targeting/hurting the poor thing.  If ya wanna smoke, smoke but cmon, dont say its some evil way to target the poor or unfair. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 04 2016 at 23:54
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 04:23
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

There is always contraband.

sadly that's what a lot of smokers resort too... Contraband ciggies from Poland or more eastern origins, or biuying reserves in a country where it's not nearly as expensive (Right now, Brits are emptying Belgian stores on the shoreline before going back home)

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't have a problem with someone killing themselves by smoking; it's their choice... but sadly second hand smoke is just as bad.

actually, it's not as bad as first hand smoking.  And this is one issue that's easily solved - smoking has been banned in almost all public places in many countries.

Well, I'l not so sure that first hand smoke is less harmfull to by-standers, because there is also the smoke from the tip of the ciggie when not dragging a puff >> that's pure unregultaed combustion fumes.

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I think most smokers understand that sh*t and respect it...  what was it .. 2 or 3 years ago when Virginia finally banned smoking in bars.  Really wasn't much of any complaint from us. So cigarette breaks outside became as much a part of the bar experience as getting ones ass out of your stool to make trips to the john. 

Most of those young ladies didn't smoke, and likely wasn't fair or even particularly healthy for them to breath in our damn 2nd hand smoke. Good law

not that bit of empathy stopped us from smoking in bars in the first place..

Not smoking in bars is a big benefit, but it comes way too late for me, as I don't frequent them nearly as much as I used to... Sure in jazz/music clubs and restaurants, it helps a fair bit

actually, in Continental Europe, I see girls smoke way more than the men their age... and back in the 70's & 80's, I seem to remember that women were just as smokers as men were

==============

while I definitely suffered from "wild" unregulated tabagism around me for decades, but nowadays that things are much better, I can't help but thinking that smokers are being outcasted (somewhat unfairly) in present days, beit at work or in leisure time

and asking them to go smoke outside is hardly a solution, because non-smokers are still on the streets and go through the bar/restaurant entrances

Edited by Sean Trane - May 05 2016 at 04:31
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 04:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

while I definitely suffered from "wild" unregulated tabagism around me for decades, but nowadays that things are much better, I can't help but thinking that smokers are being outcasted (somewhat unfairly) in present days
I think non-smokers are the outcasted in my country: public places, like small concert venues for example, have smokers/non-smokers areas but since it seems that most people smoke, concerts happen on the smokers area. I went to a sold out concert on a place like that and there were so many smokers that the air was unbreathable and incredibly hot Dead I only go for the music, why do I have to deal with that cr*p? Ouch
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 07:11
Personally, I could not go back to the times when you could smoke in pubs - permanent fug, clothes/hair smelling like an ashtray when you got home....

Ironically, given the EU laws which banned smoking in the UK came from Brussells, when I visited there, I found over half the bars there allowed smoking & I was even looked at oddly when I went outside for one

Edited by Jim Garten - May 05 2016 at 07:12

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12