Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteely Dan...???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steely Dan...???
    Posted: May 06 2016 at 03:29
Why aren't DONALD FAGEN and WALTER BECKER solo included???
Per Köhler
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 04:34
I'm not sure they've ever been suggested tbh.
If you think they deserve to be here, then you might want to check out this linkSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 07:18
I have reopened this thread (and moved it to it's proper place) after talking to Per over PM.

I hope he will sprinkle this thread with some music that warrants the proghead's attention and perhaps a little write-up as to why he thinks these cats deserve to be on PASmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 07:39
I'm a big fan of the Dan, and Donald and Walter's solo works, but not sure if there is much that is "progressive" in the latter. Impeccable musicianship of course, and always with ultra-refined arrangements in the case of Donald's stuff, but that's all IMO.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 09:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure they've ever been suggested tbh.

Once before as far as I can tell David (July 2011): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79841. It was along-running thread, and Thanos passed them over to JR/F in November 2013, with George eventually reporting back (August 2014) that they had been previously rejected around 2008.

The thread is still open if you'd like to merge this one with it. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 11:13
^And there was another thread here.

And an ex-admin js (Easy Money) discussed them in 2011 and even before that there was discussion about Fagen in 2008, like I mentioned.

I doubt there is gonna be a change of vote for this one, at least not for me, it's jazzy pop mostly, and I don't care much about the reasoning that they have to be here because Steely Dan is here.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 12:09
^ Yeah - my search didn't find that other thread because I included both Fagen and Becker's surnames in the search box. Embarrassed
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 21:16
Steely Dan is one of my absolute favorite bands. Love solo Fagen as well, The Nightfly is so good. 
Per Kohler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 04:51
Agree!!! I recommended both Fagen/Becker to the site but don't really know what happened...
Per Köhler
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 05:23
I had promised myself not to visit PA until the captcha sh*t was over with but seeing as I re-opened this thread on request from the OP, I gather it's only fair that I add a little to the proceedings.
First and foremost: I am rather perplexed to find that you still don't understand what happened to your request Per as I've explained this a couple of times now. I think you originally made a new band suggestion using the old email method, which, as I told you, is obsolete these days. That was why I opened your thread so as you could make your case in the open forum.
Doing that though means providing music in the form of videos, links to streaming sites - something so the team in question have something to evaluate. This thread has nothing...which probably is why nothing has happened.
The Prog Related sub is the only place I see this having a shot (even if it is a long one). Getting into Prog Related reauires a Special Collaborator backing one's suggestion up - meaning he or she brings the suggestion to the admin team - who then will decide whether or not to include X act in Prog Related.
With that being said, one of our hardworking admins already posted in this thread and judging from that it doesn't seem like Fagen and Becker will be included anytime soon.
Personally I think it is the right decision. I don't think Steely Dan belongs on PA to begin with let alone the more commercially viable sound that came in the wake during their respective solo careers. Does that take anything away from the actual merit and quality of the music? Nope not in the least. Just means it doesn't fit in on a progressive rock site is all

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply