1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 18:00
Outer Limits (original) & Twilight Zone are the essential U.S. sci-fi.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 18:15
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Agreed. Such creativity and imagination on display in those shows.

A couple of my favourite episodes are the Outer Limits Sixth Finger and Twilight Zone's Number 12 Looks Just Like You. So much greatness of course.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 19:23
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Agreed. Such creativity and imagination on display in those shows.

A couple of my favourite episodes are the Outer Limits Sixth Finger and Twilight Zone's Number 12 Looks Just Like You. So much greatness of course.

Quite true, Logan.  I believe it is because they were writers' shows.  Serling knew this.  His top five or six writers all came from U.S. sci-fi literature.  Outer Limits as well.  And both show's creators were authors of science fiction as speculative fiction and a warning of dystopian values, while savoring the writing with the O. Henry twist.  They both were truly "progressive" in intention.

Regarding The Sixth Finger, a great episode, it is interesting to note how good David McCallum was in this and that other episode where he controls time in the house of blind Sir Cedric Hardwicke and the murderous women.  The original Outer Limits was as noir a sci-fi series could be.

cheers!

Edited by Guy Guden - May 18 2016 at 19:25
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 19:32
By the way, though I had watched a couple of Farcape episodes a few days ago since it's on Netflix Canada, today being an almost completely work free day, I decided to watch another and genuinely found it fun. Most shows, like music, I find need a little investment of effort, and I don't think I gave the show a proper chance when it was new as I would miss episodes and so lose out on finer points of the story arc, and I didn't start at the beginning. Same with Firefly, I came in part way into the show.   These days I generally prefer to binge watch when possible (with serials in particular).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 20:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

(voted Time Tunnel ... I'd love to watch those old programmes again)

more of a Land of the Giants man myself, but Irwin Allen always did it for me.   Spared no expense.  Tongue

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 01:37
My Dad was a big Star Trek fan and although I loved and obsessed over Star Wars, I never went with him to see Star Trek The Motion Picture with him and he died a couple of years later.
My Mum used to love Star Trek The Next Generation, The X Files and Stargate.
But of the list, the one I followed when they were repeated was Lost In Space!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 02:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

(voted Time Tunnel ... I'd love to watch those old programmes again)

more of a Land of the Giants man myself, but Irwin Allen always did it for me.   Spared no expense.  Tongue

Land of the Giants was never shown in our TV region though it was in the neighbouring one so at school some of the kids watched it while the rest of us didn't. However, I did watch and enjoy Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost In Space.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 03:58

By the way, though I had watched a couple of Farcape episodes a few days ago since it's on Netflix Canada, today being an almost completely work free day, I decided to watch another and genuinely found it fun. Most shows, like music, I find need a little investment of effort, and I don't think I gave the show a proper chance when it was new as I would miss episodes and so lose out on finer points of the story arc, and I didn't start at the beginning. Same with Firefly, I came in part way into the show.   These days I generally prefer to binge watch when possible (with serials in particular).
I watched Farscape from the beginning through to the end and the final 3 hour miniseries conclusion (The Peacekeeper Wars), I wasn't sure about it at first as the opening episode seemed to be an updated version of Buck Rodgers and I didn't warm to Ben Browder's character to begin with (far to shouty), but I liked the idea of a living spaceship (ā la Anne McCaffrey's 'The Ship Who Sang' and Iain M Banks Culture series) and the supporting cast appeared to be interesting enough to continue watching: Scorpius is one of the great villains of TV SF and an alien who farts helium when scared... and yes, the ladies were pleasing to the eye but they were also strong characters and not just window dressing. Like Babylon 5 (as opposed to DS9), I favour series with a good story arc and a proper denouement and I think Farscape had that. I missed Browder and Black in Stargate SG1 because of Sky TV's dreadful scheduling of the program once terrestrial TV dropped it and still haven't seen seasons 8 to 10.

I started to watch Firefly but just didn't like it, a few of the support characters were ok but I couldn't relate to the two leads. Conversely Serenity was one of those rare things - a film version that was better than the TV series that spawned it. Having enjoyed the film I tried returning to the TV series but still didn't like it. I think the difference is Firefly took the Space Western genre too literally and was little more than a thinly disguised TV series about outlaw cowboys, whereas Serenity reeled in 'Western' aspect, dragging it towards the more popular Space Opera territory.

[Writing this I'm reminded of US/Canadian SF TV series that time seems to have forgotten - Andromeda, staring Kevin Sorbo]

Edited by Dean - May 19 2016 at 04:01
What?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 20:42
Star Trek (the original series).  Easily.

"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ", should be on the list somewhere.

Edited by dwill123 - May 19 2016 at 20:48
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 07:50
Dwill: You're absolutely right, it should have been. I have lamented forgetting to include Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I actually did think of it when I was coming up with the poll as it as show that I like considerably, but the name of the show didn't immediately spring to mind and then I forgot. I have seen episodes again recently on TV, but I made this list hurriedly without research. There another great classic one that I used to watch that I know I'm missing.

On a lesser note: Surprised I didn't include Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Okay, it is dated, but I enjoyed it back in the day.   There are many others. Man From Atlantis was cool. One big one that I missed, guess it should be in the British section for production, is Max Headroom.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 08:16

I watched Farscape from the beginning through to the end and the final 3 hour miniseries conclusion (The Peacekeeper Wars), I wasn't sure about it at first as the opening episode seemed to be an updated version of Buck Rodgers and I didn't warm to Ben Browder's character to begin with (far to shouty), but I liked the idea of a living spaceship (ā la Anne McCaffrey's 'The Ship Who Sang' and Iain M Banks Culture series) and the supporting cast appeared to be interesting enough to continue watching: Scorpius is one of the great villains of TV SF and an alien who farts helium when scared... and yes, the ladies were pleasing to the eye but they were also strong characters and not just window dressing. Like Babylon 5 (as opposed to DS9), I favour series with a good story arc and a proper denouement and I think Farscape had that. I missed Browder and Black in Stargate SG1 because of Sky TV's dreadful scheduling of the program once terrestrial TV dropped it and still haven't seen seasons 8 to 10.

I need t read more of the Culture series, looked for it in the bookshop and at the library. Scorpio I did indeed like, and Rygel is terrific Henson creation. Digression: My favourite Henson film, by the way is The Dark Crystal which I find a very moving and wonderful film.

I also want a good story arc and denouement (even if the denouement is ambiguous). Far too often shows get cancelled before there's any sense of closure, or the writing just gets lame and tired (a reason I tend to favour through-written series). I have all of Farcape on Netflix, so there's no reason not to watch it through.

I started to watch Firefly but just didn't like it, a few of the support characters were ok but I couldn't relate to the two leads. Conversely Serenity was one of those rare things - a film version that was better than the TV series that spawned it. Having enjoyed the film I tried returning to the TV series but still didn't like it. I think the difference is Firefly took the Space Western genre too literally and was little more than a thinly disguised TV series about outlaw cowboys, whereas Serenity reeled in 'Western' aspect, dragging it towards the more popular Space Opera territory.

[Writing this I'm reminded of US/Canadian SF TV series that time seems to have forgotten - Andromeda, staring Kevin Sorbo]

I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on Firefly. I will watch Serenity as it's on Netflix Canada. Having that made was quite the coup for the fans as I recall.

I think time has been kind to Andromeda, not because it aged well, but because it forgot it.    I didn't actually catch that much of it, but Kevin Sorbo had zero appeal to me (not a character I identified with, nor a commanding performance). Another that may have been forgotten, well it's a Canadian production so some might say it's to be expected, but with an American audience in mind, is Starhunter. I rather liked it. Peter Gabriel did theme music for the show (series/ season 2), and it was the music that sucked me in. And it had a girl that I found petulant and irritating in that show but I had admired in another Canadian show called The Newsroom (an all too rare, I think, example of very good Canadian TV).

Edited by Logan - May 20 2016 at 08:18
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 13:12

One big one that I missed, guess it should be in the British section for production, is Max Headroom.
While it was produced by a British company 'Max Headroom' the SF TV series was made for an American network and was never shown on British TV as far as I know. 

The TV series called 'The Max Headroom Show' that aired on UK TV was just a music video programme with no SF content other than the titular host himself. Interesting for five minutes, it got old very quickly.

Both were spin-offs of a 1-hour TV film by Channel 4 called 'Max Headroom, 20 Minutes Into The Future'.

Edited by Dean - May 20 2016 at 13:12
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 03:59
I mentioned Babylon 5 en passant earlier without noticing it wasn't on the list. Planned from the start to be a five-year, five-season, story arc with a proper beginning, middle and end it was a ground-breaking series not only for its concept, but also for the use of the emergent CGI technology and use of the nascent internet as a means to develop a fan-following. One of those silly irrelevant facts that sticks in my long-term memory is the brother of Wayne's Word's Dana Carvey built the prototype Video Toaster hardware that was initially used to create the CGI effects. A 'clever' artistic trick they used was in adding a huge nebula backdrop in all the space images so they didn't have to use artificial lighting to make the ships visible against a pure black background. The inaccurate depiction of stars in SF programmes is a minor irritation for me, especially in Star Trek but Voyager's producers' gain kudos for adding a constant engine-sound to the audio track of all on-board scenes (only noticeable in stereo broadcasts).

Another first was the programme's creator wrote most of the episodes and two whole seasons, (Neil Gaiman, DC Fontana and Harlan Ellison also wrote for the series to a strict set of rules to ensure continuity of the story-arc). While some of the dialogue was at times a little lumpen, I thoroughly enjoyed following the story-arc to the final show-down with "The First Ones" - however, binge-watching that from beginning to end would be a major undertaking that even I as a long term fan would shy away from. LOL

Earning it a "Prog-related" point, Tangerine Dream's Chris Franke composed all music, which equates to something like 45 hours of original music, a small fraction of which has been released on CD. [Incidentally, some of the music for Farscape (26 episodes) was written by Chris Neal, whose 1974 prog rock album 'Winds of Isis' is listed here under Crossover].

Edited by Dean - May 21 2016 at 04:27
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12