Topic ClosedBest possible Yes line-up these days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:22
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I'm interested to hear the new Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin collaboration. There is obviously no possibility of reconvening the classic lineup, and it would be unrealistic to expect a bunch of 60 and 70 somethings to perform like they did 40 years ago anyway. But it would be nice to have a touring unit with a selection of classic '70s and '80s members that performs cleanly.
No! Anything but Rabin!

We've got tickets to see the AWR concert in Ohio, but even as I clicked "purchase" I was still in disbelief that I was actually handing over good money to see Rabin play.

And then I remembered that my husband was paying for the tickets, so I'm okay with it.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I'm interested to hear the new Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin collaboration. There is obviously no possibility of reconvening the classic lineup, and it would be unrealistic to expect a bunch of 60 and 70 somethings to perform like they did 40 years ago anyway. But it would be nice to have a touring unit with a selection of classic '70s and '80s members that performs cleanly.
No! Anything but Rabin!

We've got tickets to see the AWR concert in Ohio, but even as I clicked "purchase" I was still in disbelief that I was actually handing over good money to see Rabin play.

And then I remembered that my husband was paying for the tickets, so I'm okay with it.
You are a woman of class and quality.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 13:12

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

No! Anything but Rabin!

You are a woman of class and quality.

Not really, I just want to see Anderson and Wakeman before I die. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 01:20
^ ......or before they die..............
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 06:39
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LOL yeah we can only hope.

And for this thread, I have my personal favorite candidates.

Anderson-Howe-Squire-Wakeman-Bruford/White (Yes, I put both drummers together since I feel like I can't see this lineup without either of them. That's just me though.)
Anderson-Howe-Squire-Moraz-White (Relayer is just f**king masterful in part to this lineup)
Horn-Howe-Squire-Downes-White (underrated af)

So, if I have to choose, it'd be the first one, personally. Even though they're technically two separate line-ups, I still think they're the entire classic line-up of the group, imo.
Progrockdude
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 07:42
^'Best possible Yes line up these days' is most likely not going to feature Chris SquireWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 07:46

I was going to add that, then got superstitious. 2016 doesn't need any suggestions from me to get any worse.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 13:05
Funny how the same line-up that gave us Topographic, gave us Tormato
I still enjoy Heaven And Earth. And Billy Sherwood is an outstanding musician.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 22:14

Funny how the same line-up that gave us Topographic, gave us Tormato
I still enjoy Heaven And Earth. And Billy Sherwood is an outstanding musician.

Billy Sherwood may be able to hold his own playing bass on Yes... though I haven't heard much of the band with him on bass. However, it's his influence on the band that worry me. I didn't like the two albums in which he was part of the line-up, and the Conspiracy albums and Prog Collective have something that puts me off. They are not terrible, but in now way are they great either. I believe something that sounds rather wrong with whatever he is involved with is the vocal melodies and production... they fall flat and tired... I think he tries to make them dreamy or something, but it just doesn't work for me. And that may be exactly the last problem with Heaven and Earth, even though Sherwood isn't part of the band, he mixed or produced the vocals (of all things), so, the album sounds tired and without energy... and in great part it's in the vocals. That said, one of the songs I absolutley love from the band was written by him (even if he was not part of the line-up), with "The More we Live - Let Go"
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 06:45
[QUOTE=Tom Ozric]Funny how the same line-up that gave us Topographic, gave us Tormato
Very funny, isnīt it. Rick Wakeman was in all the best albums they did. That line-up created the very finest albums. All albums are different to each other in fact. Luckily they progressed along the way and thank God they stopped re-recording The Edge over and over again. Yes ! Particularly "Tormato" from 1978, they last great album before Andersonīs departure. "Tormato " is brilliant Big smile, and very unique and very positive. Short songs, full of magig and melodies like normal Yes albums are. I instantly fell in love with it and Birotronīs sound... over 3 decades ago. This, their first and Oceans are the albums I play most of, on regular basic and I never get tired of them. I always wanted to skip Relayer and never liked it, except the Soon section. I never cared for their 80īrecords either. Just recently I have started to listen the Ascension albums again, they have some brilliant versions of their best songs there. The Wakeman era once again, very funny indeed.

Ah, and Yes does not exists without Jon Anderson and Chris Squire.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - June 05 2016 at 06:57
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 06:58
^ Hopefully the Birotron, and not that dang Polymoog.........
Love Squire's bass on Tormato - constantly wah'd or something.......(says 'harmonised' in the credits....)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 07:38

Love Squire's bass on Tormato - constantly wah'd or something.......(says 'harmonised' in the credits....)

I love all the instruments and sounds on "Tormato", that certain coldness and remoteness, even raw sounds from futuristic Tor landscapes is very unique in rock, itīs a sound sci-fi. And it was (and still is) like fresh air in a hot summer day... in the middle of new wave BS.  I never get tired of this special album, the last great rock album from the 70īs in fact.

All the other guys shine there too, like never before. Itīs full of energy. Yes came back to square one, short songs and melody. The circle was completed. They had guts to do whatever they wanted. Itīs been said that they disagreed on many things... they disagreed on nearly everything when Peter Banks was in, when Bill Bruford was...like they always have done, so nothing new under the sun. But they did get the best out of everything musically. Itīs the Yes magic. That is victory to music. Nothing else matters.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 09:22

yep... Squire did rule on that album.

The effect was made by a company called Mutron, it's not a typical wah wah pedal but more of a touch wah effect.  Depending on how hard you hit the bass strings, the effect is either prounounced or more subtle.  Many bass players would kill to get ahold of one of those. Very rare.. very expensive. No longer made as many bassists have tried to recreate that sound using modern envelope filters but they don't sound the same.

and the best I can say is Wakeman's Casio.. I call it that.. no sure what you call it LOL  Sounds like something he picked up from the neighborhood Radio Shack for a few bucks.  Sounds god awfull for the first.. ehhh.. 100 listens to that album (thus the general hate for the album) but after that.. it grows on you.  To the point the album wouldn't be what it is.. without it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 15:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yep... Squire did rule on that album.

The effect was made by a company called Mutron, it's not a typical wah wah pedal but more of a touch wah effect.  Depending on how hard you hit the bass strings, the effect is either prounounced or more subtle.  Many bass players would kill to get ahold of one of those. Very rare.. very expensive. No longer made as many bassists have tried to recreate that sound using modern envelope filters but they don't sound the same.

and the best I can say is Wakeman's Casio.. I call it that.. no sure what you call it LOL  Sounds like something he picked up from the neighborhood Radio Shack for a few bucks.  Sounds god awfull for the first.. ehhh.. 100 listens to that album (thus the general hate for the album) but after that.. it grows on you.  To the point the album wouldn't be what it is.. without it.

Haters go hate. As interesting as a dog pooping.

Btw, "general hate" is a myth, somebody elseīs fantasy really... way back, mid 80īs I played the album to a guy who didnīt care prog at all, he was only into "heavy metal" like Judas Priest etc. He said: that was "hells good" ! To my great surprise he very much liked Andersonīs voice as well. I watched him listening to "Circus of Heaven". He looked if he was in a church. No stupid jokes, he looked stoned. I went stunned because he was a tough guy. I joked that JP makes a hell of noise, he answered: hell they do ! Laughed at each other. I met him a decade later. He said he has "Tormato" and  a few prog records. He gave me Kraftwerk to listen Smile. I said itīs alright, great work with machines ! Embarrassed He couldnīt get my sarcasm, luckily as he was really a big guy. Great times !

Cīmon, you have NOT listened it for 100 times you are just showing off LOL

But I have, since January 1979. The 1st UK edition. Blow me away then and is better than ever now.
And you surely have absolutely NO idea how it sounds to my senses, in my system.
I have always loved everything on that album and will listen it again... and again.

And I really donīt give a damn for othersī opinions Tongue... never have and never will.

Oh, agree about Squireīs sound & input. Mr. Howe shines as well there. 
Wakemanīs sounds are sounds of Future Times. Often remote and cold but so interesting. Fresh. Whiteness. Like Januaryīs air here in North. The overall sound landscapes are truly something else, they were ahead everybody at the time. The Tormato Tour 1978-79 got some of the most powerful performances in their entire career. 

"Tormato" is brilliant. In everything. ***** Work of genius, Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman & White. Future Times... Rejoice !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 15:59
But today... hmmm... interesting actually... my 2 cents

voc: Jon Anderson (if interested, probably not)
gtr: Steve Morse for the difficult pats and Trevor Rabin 2nd gtr & entertaining female fans (if there are any     left ?) if of course Steve Howe has no time outside Asia - he should play the acoustic stuff at least, for goodnessī sake !
keys: Patrick Moraz (adds darkness, well added at least), as Rick Wakeman probably wouldnīt care for less
bs :Jussi Pattitussi ( I think he was in Finland in early 90īs ?) This is the kinky part because no-one can replace Chris Squire (LOL)
drs: Alan White (for whiteness too) of course !

prod: Trevor Horn

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - June 06 2016 at 16:14
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 18:31
Trevor Rabin does not entertain this female fan. Yuck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12