Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe sound of the modes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The sound of the modes
    Posted: May 27 2016 at 20:41
I thought that I would post a little something for those of you who are learning, or getting a grasp of music theory. Some people have wondered how to "hear" the sound of the various modes, that is: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian.

I had a teacher in college who showed me one way of doing this. The idea is that you have a bass instrument (such as a bass guitar, left hand of a keyboard, lower strings on a guitar, etc) play the root note of the mode; while doing this, the chordal instrument will alternate between the IV and V chords of the parent key. So for example, in F Lydian, the bass instrument will keep playing 'F' while the chordal instrument will alternate between F and G triads, since these are the IV and V chords of the parent key.

As another example, for E Dorian, the bass would play an E note while the chordal instrument would play G and A chords (IV and V in the key of D). Here's an audio example of Lydian:

And here's an example of Dorian:

Edited by Seventh Arrow - May 27 2016 at 20:43
 Post Reply Post Reply