Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moody Blues vs. Procol Harum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Would you eat cake if given the opportunity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [34.78%]
45 [65.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 16:54
Procol Harum
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 22:20
Moody Blues by a fair bit.  I put the first Procol on a similar level to DOFP, but after that there is no contest
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 10:06
What a blend of good stuff the Procols were. And that singer. The Moodies went soft after awhile, and can be expected to appear on NBC's Today show as part of their "Summer Concert Series" from time to time.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 12:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

What a blend of good stuff the Procols were. And that singer.

Indeed. Gary Brooker is just unbeatable (and last I heard could still belt it out like he did when he was a young man); Robin Trower is absolutely one of the guitar GODS, and his replacements--notably the magnificent Mick Grabham and Geoff Whitehorn--were certainly no slouches; and secret weapon Barrie Wilson, may he rest in peace, was one of the most underrated drummers in rock. And the whole Procol concept of somehow teetering on the edge between sepulchral gloom and music hall bawdiness is a unique and joyful thing.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 23:37
Procul Harum
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 11:08
As much as I like Procol Harum - and have all of their albums - they simply were/are nowhere near what the Moody Blues were doing. Even just looking at that classic of prog. instruments - the Mellotron - PH only used it sparingly (maybe only 5 songs). The Moodies used it a ton, and Mike Pinder is probably the God of the Mellotron. Fripp and company wouldn't have been influenced by PH, but he/they definitely were by the Moodies.

You could probably only compile one album of true prog. from PH, but many of the early Moodies albums were heavy into prog.

Both are great groups and deserve to be celebrated, but this is an easy poll.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 13:46
Moody Blues
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 14:33
Procol by a wide margin. 

Both bands presented unique approaches at a time when rock was just getting experimentally interesting...Moodies: tron, orchestra, acoustic guitar, Procol: piano + organ.  Procol had secret weapon Keith Reid and I find them lyrically much more interesting than the Moodies.  Plus Gary Brooker has one of the great rock voices of all time and the albums with Trower were brilliant...even the post Trower albums were great but more rock than prog.  I could cherry pick a single "best of" album for the Moodies and it would be great, but I find very few Procol songs I'd leave off and their "best of" would take a box set Wink
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Procol by a wide margin. 

Both bands presented unique approaches at a time when rock was just getting experimentally interesting...Moodies: tron, orchestra, acoustic guitar, Procol: piano + organ.  Procol had secret weapon Keith Reid and I find them lyrically much more interesting than the Moodies.  Plus Gary Brooker has one of the great rock voices of all time and the albums with Trower were brilliant...even the post Trower albums were great but more rock than prog.  I could cherry pick a single "best of" album for the Moodies and it would be great, but I find very few Procol songs I'd leave off and their "best of" would take a box set Wink

I agree wholeheartedly with the above but when it comes to choosing between the two bands it is difficult for me. I will, for very personal reasons, pick the moodies by a whisker though I'm very fond of PH too

Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 23:04
I was named after Justin Hayward. Sorry procol harum.
The most dangerous man in America.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 23:30
Procol Harum, no competition! 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 03:50
Procol Harum made some great music, but I've got to go with the Moodies. They have a an album in my top ten prog albums of all time (TOCCC) Procul don't.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 18:04
The Moody Blues
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 18:09
I have never heard every or even most Procol Harum albums but I believe I have heard enough to make a judgement here. Big Moodies fan, however, so there you go. 
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 06:53
I voted for the Moody Blues, but it's quite a close call.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:39
Procol Harum

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 07:12
Procol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12