Topic ClosedMovies you were disappointed by

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 00:19
The Big Lebowski
I generally like Coen Bros films, but I couldn't even make it all the way through this one.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 00:42
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The Big Lebowski
I generally like Coen Bros films, but I couldn't even make it all the way through this one.

Personally, I love it.

Edited by Logan - June 21 2016 at 00:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 05:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The Big Lebowski

Personally, I love it.

I plan to go at work wearing the same "dress code" than the Dude in a few days (hoping that my employers will say: "Okay, you can stay at home this week").
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 06:18
I'm trying to think of a film that honestly disappointed me but as a pessimist I'm seldom disappointed.

I could potentially be disappointed by What Dreams May Come but after many attempts to watch it I've yet to make it to the end without falling asleep, (which is no exaggeration btw, thus far it's proven to be an unbeatable cure for insomnia). 

While I often look forward to seeing some adaptations, remakes and reboots, I never have a high expectation for them so I'm not disappointed when they turn out to be not as good as the original film, book or stage play. Prime among those would be Lynch's ballsed-up version of Dune but my disappointment there was not in the final film or Lynch's screenplay but that it wasn't the Jodorowsky film with music by Floyd and Magma, and art design by Giger, Giraud and Foss.

Having said that I cannot imagine that anyone could possibly be disappointed by a remake of a truly bad film other than by being disappointed that it was being remade at all. And that goes for so-bad it's good films like Battlefield Earth and Showgirls too.

I also have low expectations for over-hyped films so often they come as a pleasant surprise when they're not as bad as I expected. The only two things that disappointed me in The Hobbit trilogy was firstly that it was made into a trilogy in the first place and secondly, I found the the HFR format quite unpleasant to watch. 

Edited by Dean - June 21 2016 at 06:20
What?
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 12:07
The Burbs.

*Tom Hanks blows up the house, the police come, he freaks out, he lays himself in the ambulance, ready to be whisked off to the hospital and then jail.* 10/10 f**kING AMAZING

*Big reveal that they're actually evil* 5/10 NO WHY DID YOU RUIN A PERFECT MOVIE?

Seriously,The Burbs was SUPER suspenseful, not because the plot is particularly captivating, but because for the first 80 minutes I couldn't decide if it was interesting or not or if it was funny or not. If the first 80 minutes stood alone my opinion would be simply this: not bad; not very funny or interesting but not unfunny and not uninteresting. But then the ending came. I was in awe! This was a movie where three idiots went on a paranoid rampage and tried to prove that their new neighbors were serial killers, blew up their house in the process, and go to jail once they find out they're not actually serial killers! That is genius! But then NO, we have to have the big reveal that they were right all along! f**k that.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 21:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

do yourself the favor and get a copy of "Welt am Draht" from the Criterion Collection and you will realize what utter crap "The Matrix" is

You know The Matrix is one of the movies I would mention. I never enjoyed that movie at all, I guess I'm no fan of slow mo like the slow mo in Hardboiled is just not my thing. By the Way, I'm too lazy to look it up but is that World on a Wire? I've been meaning to watch that movie for some time now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123