Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI just listened to sebtp and foxtrot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 21:06
Zooka_Jesus: I learnt to love GG (hard enough!), but I still love GENESIS (with GABRIEL), since they're were great as well! And Yes were great with CttE and VDGG was an amazing band as well, not to forget ELP. What's so difficult by appreciating all those ones?Wink
To be prog or not to be, that's not the question!
Sillyam Likesbeer
transend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 22:24

Er...

Foxtrot - definitley a great album, only floored by its 'recorded inside a small box' sound. Kinda always ruined it for me...so i prefer the live versions.

Selling England by the pound - I think it is a great album, very good songs, though again, they are all better live.

Id View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 23:08

I'm not such a huge fan of Genesis or SEBTP myself, but I definitely can get into a few of the songs.  The compositions are pretty cheesy, in my opinion, but the talent of the players really makes up for it (especially the drums!  Such awesome drums!)  Gabriel's voice is hard to get used to as well.  Especially when he says "hey baby" on Supper's Ready.

Yeah, I like harder-edged prog.

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 22:38

I can see what you mean about the 'Hey baby' on Suppers ready. okay- to be HONEST with everyone: Selling England By the pound=  Nursery Cryme=  but Foxtrot=.

Sorry to those who disagree but Foxtrot just isn't that great. There's something annoying, poppy, mainstream and non-progressive (ie: BORING) about the album, as a whole, incomparison with the ones released before and after it. It's 'nice' but it doesn't do it for me to the orgasmal extent that SEBTP does.

Trouserpress: sorry if I pissed you off hun but it was only because you seemed so incredibly BITTER about Genesis. Which hurt- as it does when anyone voices their hatred of music that you love so dearly. Music can be a personal thing- hence the reason why these forums and even reviews on this site can be so damn brutal. In a way. 

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 22:52
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

I can see what you mean about the 'Hey baby' on Suppers ready. okay- to be HONEST with everyone: Selling England By the pound=  Nursery Cryme=  but Foxtrot=.

Sorry to those who disagree but Foxtrot just isn't that great. There's something annoying, poppy, mainstream and non-progressive (ie: BORING) about the album, as a whole, incomparison with the ones released before and after it. It's 'nice' but it doesn't do it for me to the orgasmal extent that SEBTP does.

Trouserpress: sorry if I pissed you off hun but it was only because you seemed so incredibly BITTER about Genesis. Which hurt- as it does when anyone voices their hatred of music that you love so dearly. Music can be a personal thing- hence the reason why these forums and even reviews on this site can be so damn brutal. In a way. 

That's what I always thought about SEBTP. Personally Foxtrot is my fav. It's all just a matter of tastes.  Mine being better than yours.

Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 00:59

I actually had the same exact reaction when I first heard Genesis.  I bought Foxtrot, I sort of liked Watcher of the Skies, didn't much like Time Table or Get 'em Out, really liked Can-Utility and Horizons, and wasn't sure what to make of Supper's Ready.

I admit it, it was the way Gabriel sang, it turned me off.  It was too weird, like he was purposely trying to sing funny (which he was).  The album sat on my shelf for quite awhile before I gave it another chance.

Then I heard The Musical Box, and I understood completely.  I think you kind of have to hear that song first to understand what Genesis was all about.  Now they're my favorite band, and Foxtrot is probably my favorite album from them.  Listen to Nursery Cryme or Live first.  Don't start with Foxtrot or Selling England (which are both better albums, but only if you understand Genesis a little more).

It also helps if you read the lyrics.  One of the things that makes Gabriel-era Genesis so great is the intelligent, and often twisted lyrics he wrote for them.

Edited by Gianthogweed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456