Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Rolling Stones Album?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Favorite Rolling Stones Album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
1 [5.26%]
3 [15.79%]
3 [15.79%]
1 [5.26%]
1 [5.26%]
6 [31.58%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Rolling Stones Album?
    Posted: July 01 2016 at 22:18
For me it's between Beggars, Bleed and Fingers depending on the day, but I guess Let it Bleed is the choice due to its immaculate consistency. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 00:11
Satanic Majesties, by a long-shot. They have some decent albums but SM is just BRILLIANT hippie-psych. With lots of Mellotron to boot.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 00:32
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Satanic Majesties, by a long-shot. They have some decent albums but SM is just BRILLIANT hippie-psych. With lots of Mellotron to boot.

Thumbs Up

By far the best, I like it even more than Sgt Peppers, sometimes the inspired album is beter than the inspiration.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 02:18
Let It Bleed gets the vote with Sticky Fingers and Beggars Banquet tied for second.
Aftermath gets honorable mention.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 03:21
I think they were a pretty great band that recorded a bundle of timeless tunes ca. 1966-1969. Here's the five albums I consider worth owning - in order of preference:

Their Satanic Majesties Request
Let It Bleed
Beggars Banquet 
Aftermath
Between the Buttons

I can't stand the bluesy pubrock-band they became in the 70's, including their so-called classics Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street (the latter album must be the worst ever to grace countless rock magazines "best albums ever"-lists). 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 04:08
Goats Head Soup has a pretty good first side, side 2 was patchy, with a lot of country-rock vibes.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 04:11
Beggars Banquet is the only one I can tolerate from them. Has some pretty decent moments.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 09:20
Like a lot of lifelong fans, I've gravitated toward those LPs that haven't had their grooves worn out from hundreds of spins.  Goat's Head Soup, especially the second side; Black and Blue; Emotional Rescue; Satanic Majesties.....but the true treasures are in their early records:  12x5; Aftermath; Now!; Out of Our Heads.  There may have been no better run in rock than the 1966-73 Stones, but it's those great albums from outside their peak that didn't get as much FM radio/teenage bedroom play that keeps my love of the Stones perking.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 09:47
I'm still very curious to hear the opinions of fans as to the importance of Brian Jones in what they enjoy....he is not often mentioned in these polls. 

I've just read the furiously researched new book by Paul Trynka which makes the case that Jones was far more important to the band than Richards and Jag ever gave him credit for.  He argues that the Glimmers have intentionally diminished Jones importance when he was actually very important through Majesties, and residually present even after his death.  It's a great read and a serious challenge to what Richards wrote (and didn't write) in "Life". 

Edited by Finnforest - July 02 2016 at 09:48

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 09:47
Aftermath most of all, but really the whole stretch from that through Let It Bleed, plus Exile, is kingly.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 10:59
Exile on Main Street, followed by Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Their best three albums.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 11:33
Exile, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed in that order.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 19:06
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm still very curious to hear the opinions of fans as to the importance of Brian Jones in what they enjoy....he is not often mentioned in these polls. 

I've just read the furiously researched new book by Paul Trynka which makes the case that Jones was far more important to the band than Richards and Jag ever gave him credit for.  He argues that the Glimmers have intentionally diminished Jones importance when he was actually very important through Majesties, and residually present even after his death.  It's a great read and a serious challenge to what Richards wrote (and didn't write) in "Life". 

Beyond the very fact that Jones was the whole reason the band even existed in the first place, I've always loved his particular experiments and use of exotic instruments. I mainly jive with his extra touches and backing on Aftermath, Banquet, and Bleed - from unique songs to layers under the blues rock slabs - but we can't forget the wonderful Majesties' Request and the full force of his creativity unleashed over the songs of a for the moment willing Jagger/Richards.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 08:19
The top 4 on the list are all about equal imho.....been a Stones fan from the beginning ...used to buy the 45's starting in 1965 when I was 14......I guess Let It Bleed because 'Gimme Shelter' is on that one but Sympathy and Stray Cat Blues are on Beggars...so....it depends on the day I guess.

I was just thinking about the Stones earlier this morning when my radio alarm  came on to an fm oldies station playing one of their r&b tracks from '76.....Even by then I felt they had lost 'their edge' and were just redoing the same songs over and over after '74 and It's Only Rock and Roll. But they had a nice run there for 9 or 10 years.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 09:05
Satanic Majesties, as it was the closest the Stones ever came to prog, and it's a quick way for me to have a flashback. Tongue 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 09:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Satanic Majesties, as it was the closest the Stones ever came to prog, and it's a quick way for me to have a flashback. Tongue 

LOL

'2000 Light Years' is the only song on there that is really interesting to me....and the album was one of those late 60's hippy anomalies. Even Keith has said in interviews  he's embarrassed that they made it and that it was a response to Pepper because they had this competition going on for some years with the Beatles.
I'll play it for my son in law when he comes over tomorrow for July 4th and see what he thinks. Embarrassed
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Beyond the very fact that Jones was the whole reason the band even existed in the first place, I've always loved his particular experiments and use of exotic instruments. I mainly jive with his extra touches and backing on Aftermath, Banquet, and Bleed - from unique songs to layers under the blues rock slabs - but we can't forget the wonderful Majesties' Request and the full force of his creativity unleashed over the songs of a for the moment willing Jagger/Richards.

On a related note, I was reading about the creation of "Paint It Black" and the guy who helped make into the shape we know it as was not Jagger, Richards or even Jones, but Bill Wyman. Apparently, Bill was playing about with the song on a Hammond organ, trying to find a appropriate bass sound, and ended up inspiring the band to take it as a faster tempo.

Back on topic, put "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Child Of The Moon" on Beggar's Banquet, and that would be my favorite album. For an added touch, have the RSVP card be the printing on the CD. 

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - July 04 2016 at 13:10
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 15:24
I listened to TSMR for the first time yesterday, and other than the two songs I already knew (2000 Light Years and She's a Rainbow) I can't say I found it particularly good.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply