Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrexit leave voters vs. Trump supporters.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If this were Facebook, glad it's not, I'd "like" Andy's post (course we can use thanks).

I don't believe that derogatory language is a good thing, and do think that freedom of speech must have its limits, but political correctness can not only limit ones choice of bad words and actions, but also render frank discussion about certain subjects seemingly taboo, and that can be dangerous. It's a   difficult line to draw.

I think there's a place for ridicule in society even when it offends many people's deepest beliefs, and I tend not to take things as sacred (of course there are ways to express things in a more diplomatic and sympathetic manner). Having worked with people with cognitive disabilities I do feel rather offended when people bandy about unpleasant words about people's intelligence ("stop being such a "re****" for instance, so I understand the pro-PC stance. It's a balancing act. It's also one of those charged terms that can mean different things to different people, but one should never get too hung up on labeling (something far too many unPC people do as a matter of course).

Society would be a much better place if we could all take the mickey out of ourselves, and I wish people didn't get so angry when they feel that their belief systems are being mocked or even scrutinized, far too much angry mob mentality -- my personal belief is that all ideas and beliefs should be up for scrutiny (mock my belief at your peril). ;)
Political correctness Respecting other People and Freedom of Speech have nothing in common, avoiding the use of derogatory non-PC terminology does not limit discussion or satirical comment, nor does it create taboo topics that cannot be discussed. The purpose of non-PC terminology is to stigmatise, isolate and denigrate a minority group - there is no room for that in any discussion or diatribe (regardless of whether it is serious commentary or scrutiny, or satirical mockery).

No one ever said you can't talk about race, sexuality, gender, religion or beliefs (though there are people here who would rather we didn't). Those who make the most noise about "Political Correctness gone mad" are generally those who would (and do) complain the loudest when their own beliefs are being ridiculed or satirised so it isn't Political Correctness that is limiting or restricting mockery and scrutiny but narrow-mindedness. 

If someone is unable to discuss race, creed or gender issues without using non-PC terminology then I'm pretty sure the only reason I would want to be involved in that conversation would be so I could politically correct their limited vocabulary. For example if someone finds it necessary to use the non-PC terms spaz, mong, tard or cretin regardless of context then that person is in dire need of some re-education.

Glad it sparked such discussion, as I used it as a segue before to link a discussion about Turkey and the more general discussion. For those that don't know about the Erdogan poetry competition: https://www.rt.com/uk/343531-boris-johnson-erdogan-offensive-poem/ Whether or not the German comedian was right to do such mockery, whether Angela Merkel should have "given a green light to the criminal prosecution of German comedian Jan Böhmermann for his 'defamatory poem' about Erdogan", whether provocateur Douglas Murray should have done the competition, and whether he should have given the prize to former the Spectator editor and Britain exit supporter as a political statement is probably a matter for another thread.
A British statesman writing an offensive (would be satirical but frankly isn't anywhere clever enough to qualify) poem about the head of state of another country has bugger-all to do with Political Correctness. It's a sad reflection on how far a bumbling racist clown can go in the political system because he's "good telly" and makes people "larf". What I would question would be the logic of making that British statesman Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (aka British Foreign Secretary).

I rather like Foucault's (from 1968) usage of the words politically and correct "a political thought can be politically correct only if it is scientifically painstaking".
Foucault (according to Wikipedia) is a dead philosopher - his opinion means little to me for that reason alone, however, he wasn't referring to "political correctness" in its modern (common) usage. 
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 00:06
Multiple quotes can make more work, especially when you've had as many beers as I have. I generally prefer to respond to the gist of things with my own perspective, but I'll try. Forgive any digressions or not directly responding to the substance of your post as I like to use other people's thoughts more as a jumping point for my own rather free-flowing thoughts and thought association.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If this were Facebook, glad it's not, I'd "like" Andy's post (course we can use thanks).

I don't believe that derogatory language is a good thing, and do think that freedom of speech must have its limits, but political correctness can not only limit ones choice of bad words and actions, but also render frank discussion about certain subjects seemingly taboo, and that can be dangerous. It's a   difficult line to draw.

I think there's a place for ridicule in society even when it offends many people's deepest beliefs, and I tend not to take things as sacred (of course there are ways to express things in a more diplomatic and sympathetic manner). Having worked with people with cognitive disabilities I do feel rather offended when people bandy about unpleasant words about people's intelligence ("stop being such a "re****" for instance, so I understand the pro-PC stance. It's a balancing act. It's also one of those charged terms that can mean different things to different people, but one should never get too hung up on labeling (something far too many unPC people do as a matter of course).

Society would be a much better place if we could all take the mickey out of ourselves, and I wish people didn't get so angry when they feel that their belief systems are being mocked or even scrutinized, far too much angry mob mentality -- my personal belief is that all ideas and beliefs should be up for scrutiny (mock my belief at your peril). ;)

Political correctness [imagine a strike-through] Respecting other People and Freedom of Speech have nothing in common, avoiding the use of derogatory non-PC terminology does not limit discussion or satirical comment, nor does it create taboo topics that cannot be discussed. The purpose of non-PC terminology is to stigmatise, isolate and denigrate a minority group - there is no room for that in any discussion or diatribe (regardless of whether it is serious commentary or scrutiny, or satirical mockery).

Not sure that one should automatically respect people, but seeming to be respectful towards people can have a relation to freedom of speech. If laws regulate what one can say about another group under hate speech laws, and such hate speech is not deemed respectful, then freedom of speech is limited. Like I said, though, I think there should be limits on freedom of speech. Arguing semantics is a tedious exercise, but it needn't just be about derogatory terminology.

Originally posted by OED OED wrote:

The avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

Or Merriam-Webster:

Quote agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

In word and action being PC by avoiding risking offending any marginalised group (or any group at all as it sometimes means) is going to limit freedom of speech and freedom of action. It can be about more than just the choice of words, which is part of what I was trying to get at.

No one ever said you can't talk about race, sexuality, gender, religion or beliefs (though there are people here who would rather we didn't). Those who make the most noise about "Political Correctness gone mad" are generally those who would (and do) complain the loudest when their own beliefs are being ridiculed or satirised so it isn't Political Correctness that is limiting or restricting mockery and scrutiny but narrow-mindedness.

You can talk about them here, but there can be very negative consequences depending upon how you talk about them. In Canada (Human Rights Commission) v. Taylor, [1990] 3 S.C.R. 892 at 902, the Supreme Court said hate propaganda denotes any expression that is "intended or likely to circulate extreme feelings of opprobrium and enmity against a racial or religious group". I think he may have called for wiping out transgenders mind you, and promoting genocide is rightfully illegal.

Up to you how relevant you think this is to the discussion, but many countries also have blasphemy laws. The following quotes courtesy of wikipedia:

In Canada it's a criminal blasphemy libel law which says: "Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years". A later subsection does say that "No person shall be convicted of an offence under this section for expressing in good faith and in decent language, or attempting to establish by argument used in good faith and conveyed in decent language, an opinion on a religious subject".

"In Ireland, blasphemy is prohibited by the constitution and carries a maximum fine of €25,000. A controversial law was passed on 9 July 2009 and went into effect on 1 January 2010."

In Saudi Arabia, Egypt and in other countries blasphemy can result in the death penalty, and I'm not sure that they're very tolerant even if you try to be quite PC in the way they go about it.

So yes, you can talk about beliefs but sometimes only in a particular permitted manner (some countries have much more freedom than others in that regard). SOme of those examples aren't really relevant to PCness (you might say all, but it has relation to what I have been talking about) because being unPC generally refers to discriminating against marginalised people.

]If someone is unable to discuss race, creed or gender issues without using non-PC terminology then I'm pretty sure the only reason I would want to be involved in that conversation would be so I could politically correct their limited vocabulary. For example if someone finds it necessary to use the non-PC terms spaz, mong, tard or cretin regardless of context then that person is in dire need of some re-education.

I would rather people be polite in the way they discuss, draw cartoons or sing about it, but even in a polite way one risks offending groups of people which will be considered unPC by some. The fear of offending people can make people feel like the subjects are taboo. And instead of opening dialogue it can close it down. Incendiary, rude language closes down discussion as well.

Glad it sparked such discussion, as I used it as a segue before to link a discussion about Turkey and the more general discussion. For those that don't know about the Erdogan poetry competition: https://www.rt.com/uk/343531-boris-johnson-erdogan-offensive-poem/ Whether or not the German comedian was right to do such mockery, whether Angela Merkel should have "given a green light to the criminal prosecution of German comedian Jan Böhmermann for his 'defamatory poem' about Erdogan", whether provocateur Douglas Murray should have done the competition, and whether he should have given the prize to former the Spectator editor and Britain exit supporter as a political statement is probably a matter for another thread.
A British statesman writing an offensive (would be satirical but frankly isn't anywhere clever enough to qualify) poem about the head of state of another country has bugger-all to do with Political Correctness. It's a sad reflection on how far a bumbling racist clown can go in the political system because he's "good telly" and makes people "larf". What I would question would be the logic of making that British statesman Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (aka British Foreign Secretary).

His poem is rude, but on the bigger issue, I too rather question the response of the German Government to the German comedian, and that rather smacks too much of limiting freedom of expression and speech to me, but it was libelous. It was parody gone too far. It's still rather interesting since Ergdoyan has long been criticised for silencing the media, and has majorly cracked down on the media after the coup attempt. I don't think many see him as a free speech advocate. Okay, it's more about libel laws than being PC, but I wouldn't call the poems PC (there were much better written ones than Johnson's, but his did make me chuckle in a school-boy humour sort of way). Agree with you, though, about Boris Johnson.

I rather like Foucault's (from 1968) usage of the words politically and correct "a political thought can be politically correct only if it is scientifically painstaking".
Foucault (according to Wikipedia) is a dead philosopher - his opinion means little to me for that reason alone, however, he wasn't referring to "political correctness" in its modern (common) usage.
You come across as prejudiced against philosophers or should I say dead philosophers. ;) If I were talking about Léon Foucault instead of Michel you might well still consider it irrelevant, but I expect deep down you'd care a little more, or at least be a little more interested. If Socrates had said anything remotely relevant, I'd still care. Anyway, I like that way of thinking about political correctness as I do think the term in its common sense is overused and can be too open to interpreation, but then so is progressive rock.

Edited by Logan - July 29 2016 at 00:24
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 03:57

Multiple quotes can make more work, especially when you've had as many beers as I have. I generally prefer to respond to the gist of things with my own perspective, but I'll try. Forgive any digressions or not directly responding to the substance of your post as I like to use other people's thoughts more as a jumping point for my own rather free-flowing thoughts and thought association.
I address specifics so I answer each point in turn, I just find that more logical and consistent. But feel free to respond in whatever manner suits you.

Not sure that one should automatically respect people, but seeming to be respectful towards people can have a relation to freedom of speech. If laws regulate what one can say about another group under hate speech laws, and such hate speech is not deemed respectful, then freedom of speech is limited. Like I said, though, I think there should be limits on freedom of speech. Arguing semantics is a tedious exercise, but it needn't just be about derogatory terminology.

Originally posted by OED OED wrote:

The avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

Or Merriam-Webster:

Quote agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

In word and action being PC by avoiding risking offending any marginalised group (or any group at all as it sometimes means) is going to limit freedom of speech and freedom of action. It can be about more than just the choice of words, which is part of what I was trying to get at.
PC is about respecting others and even though it is a crass generalisation, those people who are denigrated by non-PC speech generally deserve better respect and those who would use non-PC speech to oppress and offend generally don't deserve a great deal of respect. With or without PCness those people will be disrespectful of the minorities they are abusing anyway. 

I maintain that being PC does not prevent, limit or constrain freedom of speech. The English language has a pretty large vocabulary of a tad over 1 million words so saying that avoiding the use of a few dozen "taboo" words limits expression is meaningless. Anyone who feels the need to denigrate a minority but cannot achieve that without recourse to offensive slang-pejoratives probably doesn't have anything to say that people should want to listen to anyway. Making people think about the language they use reduces casual racism and sexism (i.e. denigration that happens without prior thought) but it does not prevent open discussion, it just means that they have to choose their words thoughtfully before opening their mouths. The casual sexism against Hillary Clinton shows how ingrained that language is within the modern world even among people who claim to be "right-on" and "progressive".

As I live in a country that has never had freedom of speech written into a formal bill of rights (the Puritans didn't leave England because they were being persecuted, they left because they were being prevented from persecuting anyone who didn't share their puritanical beliefs), and don't get my knickers in a twist whenever something is perceived to be a threat to some else's freedom of speech (or action) I have a habit of parodying it as Freedom's a Peach whenever I see faux-outrage by those who wish to protect freedom of speech so they can continue to harass and persecute others. Because of that I have a tendency to see freedom of speech as something separate to Political Correctness, blasphemy and overt hate speech so when I see someone defending their right to use un-PC words citing freedom of speech I take a cynical view of what they are trying to say.

I also tend to see the phrase "arguing semantics" as weasel words designed to shut-down a discussion because frankly the semantics of words is pretty fundamental to any discussion, but that's by-the-by.

You can talk about them here, but there can be very negative consequences depending upon how you talk about them. In Canada (Human Rights Commission) v. Taylor, [1990] 3 S.C.R. 892 at 902, the Supreme Court said hate propaganda denotes any expression that is "intended or likely to circulate extreme feelings of opprobrium and enmity against a racial or religious group". I think he may have called for wiping out transgenders mind you, and promoting genocide is rightfully illegal.

Up to you how relevant you think this is to the discussion, but many countries also have blasphemy laws. The following quotes courtesy of wikipedia:

In Canada it's a criminal blasphemy libel law which says: "Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years". A later subsection does say that "No person shall be convicted of an offence under this section for expressing in good faith and in decent language, or attempting to establish by argument used in good faith and conveyed in decent language, an opinion on a religious subject".

"In Ireland, blasphemy is prohibited by the constitution and carries a maximum fine of €25,000. A controversial law was passed on 9 July 2009 and went into effect on 1 January 2010."

In Saudi Arabia, Egypt and in other countries blasphemy can result in the death penalty, and I'm not sure that they're very tolerant even if you try to be quite PC in the way they go about it.

So yes, you can talk about beliefs but sometimes only in a particular permitted manner (some countries have much more freedom than others in that regard). SOme of those examples aren't really relevant to PCness (you might say all, but it has relation to what I have been talking about) because being unPC generally refers to discriminating against marginalised people.
Being PC does not prevent blasphemy and hate-speech. They are related but they're not the same thing. PC is essentially voluntary as there are few, if any, banned non-PC terms. All of your dictionary quotes state that it is the avoidance of causing offence ... and in most cases that offence is inadvertent and unintentional or the speaker may be unaware that what he has said is casually offensive - Boris Johnson probably didn't think much beyond making a humorous comment when he described black people as "piccaninnies" having "watermelon smiles". You can just about get away with that kind of crap in the prep-school dorm when you're five years old or when you're making a satirical juxtaposition of PC vs non-PC in a cartoon or satirical magazine (assuming your readership is smart enough to see the satirical point being made and isn't just laughing along with the bigotry ... which is a trap that satire often falls into). 

I would rather people be polite in the way they discuss, draw cartoons or sing about it, but even in a polite way one risks offending groups of people which will be considered unPC by some. The fear of offending people can make people feel like the subjects are taboo. And instead of opening dialogue it can close it down. Incendiary, rude language closes down discussion as well.

And there are instances where the substitution of a PC word/phrase for a non-PC word has opened up dialogue on a subject and brought to light discussion and thought that was actually limited and held back by the use of non-PC language. A good example of that is changing Indian to Native American that changed the perception of a whole race of people from being a Hollywood-forged cartoon savage, protagonist and all-round bad-guy into a suppressed and mistreated nation of displaced native people.

Fear of causing offence is not a bad thing but people have to be sensible about it, something can only be offensive when it is used in an offensive context. Calling a chalk board a black board is not going to offend a black person (when I was at school in the 1970s all our black boards were dark green anyway) and no one would ever call them African-American boards [I also note that whiteboards are still called whiteboards] - black is not a non-PC word as such and discussing issues of race and colour is not taboo just because someone has over-reacted to the use of the word "black". Unlike the Native American example, calling it a chalk board isn't going open up or shut down a discussion on colour it has just made people think before using the word in every context rather than in one specific context. Andy's brown-paper bag example (aside from not actually being a banned in Seattle) was about context .. the historical racist connotation he referred to was the practice of using the colour-shade of a brown-paper bag as a Dulux colour-chart for segregation purposes - Rosa Parks failed the brown-paper bag test.

A British statesman writing an offensive (would be satirical but frankly isn't anywhere clever enough to qualify) poem about the head of state of another country has bugger-all to do with Political Correctness. It's a sad reflection on how far a bumbling racist clown can go in the political system because he's "good telly" and makes people "larf". What I would question would be the logic of making that British statesman Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (aka British Foreign Secretary).

His poem is rude, but on the bigger issue, I too rather question the response of the German Government to the German comedian, and that rather smacks too much of limiting freedom of expression and speech to me, but it was libelous. It was parody gone too far. It's still rather interesting since Ergdoyan has long been criticised for silencing the media, and has majorly cracked down on the media after the coup attempt. I don't think many see him as a free speech advocate. Okay, it's more about libel laws than being PC, but I wouldn't call the poems PC (there were much better written ones than Johnson's, but his did make me chuckle in a school-boy humour sort of way). Agree with you, though, about Boris Johnson.
Johnson's behaviour is symptomatic and ingrained (but no less excusable) - he is simply unfit for [public] office in my estimation, but he's not my MP and I didn't vote for him. But as I said, this example has bugger-all to do with Political Correctness (or freedom of expression) - if Böhmermann's poem was defamatory and fell foul of Germany's libel laws then that's still noting to do with PC or Freedom of Speech.

/edit: you also have to consider that over the past 600 years the German-Turkish relations have been complex and that is something that Merkel is working hard to maintain as a good relationship despite her opposition to them joining the EU as a full member, (their membership application has been on-going for the past 25 years and has every indication that it will keep going for the next 25). Turkish citizens are also the largest ethnic and muslim minority living in Germany (this does not include those of Turkish decent who are naturalised German citizens) so this case has serious political and social implications within Germany.

You come across as prejudiced against philosophers or should I say dead philosophers. ;) If I were talking about Léon Foucault instead of Michel you might well still consider it irrelevant, but I expect deep down you'd care a little more, or at least be a little more interested. If Socrates had said anything remotely relevant, I'd still care.
My disdain and condemnation of all philosophers dead or alive is on record and discussed at length in various threads in this forum - that is prejudiced in the sense that it is based upon prejudice against the so-called profession of philosophers - I regard them in the same breath as I do alchemists - once regarded as part of the scientific canon but now discarded. However if Léon Foucault had made philosophical argument about the speed of light rather than a scientific observation I would disregard that too. Since both Foucault's and Socrates shrugged off this mortal coil long before the modern usage of the term Political Correctness became applied to language designed to denigrate minorities then their thoughts on the subject are irrelevant to this discussion as far as I am concerned. If you can re-apply the quote from one contextual use to another [then that] is fine for you but it means little to me.

Anyway, I like that way of thinking about political correctness as I do think the term in its common sense is overused and can be too open to interpreation, but then so is progressive rock.
As I said, the silly examples of the over-use of PCness is overstated and deliberately misrepresented by those predominately right-wing opponents who oppose it. Unfortunately some liberals have been seduced by the anti-PC propaganda - whenever the tabloid press highlights an example of "PC gone mad" I always look beneath the surface for the real story, nothing represented in the media is ever what it seems to be.

Also, common sense isn't that common.

Edited by Dean - July 29 2016 at 04:51
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:32
Where else are we supposed to get information from on these matters?

There is no such thing as impartial media.

It's easy to say these stories are over stated or made up or whatever but there is no real way of verifying anything one way or the other. You'd expect the Sun to overstate and the Guardian to understate or ignore. Stalemate.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 05:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Where else are we supposed to get information from on these matters?

There is no such thing as impartial media.

It's easy to say these stories are over stated or made up or whatever but there is no real way of verifying anything one way or the other. You'd expect the Sun to overstate and the Guardian to understate or ignore. Stalemate.

If I find two opposing views of the same incident I will consider both perspectives as failing to give the whole story, and then will use that as a springboard to find out more information on the topic raised if that concerns me at all. Tracking-down the chief spokesman for the Seattle Office of Civil Rights, Elliott Bronstein's explanation for his "Brown-bag" memo didn't take much effort and that CSI detective work can be applied to every sensationalist media story. (Often without recourse to Snopes).

This is exactly the same as testing every click-bait Facebook meme for veracity and point of origin before clicking on "Like". If something is too good, or too outrageous, to be true then there is a good chance it isn't true, even if it supports my personal prejudices and opinions.
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 05:34
^^ Fair points. I admit people should dig deeper to find the story behind the story on many issues.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:09
Dean, I just spent hours writing a reply (insomnia, been up all night), tried to get every word nice and right, but I don't want to post it for fear of sounding unPC. I do fret when I write things that may seem intolerant, and one reason to be PC is that at least for me, it's not worth the mental anguish not to be. I guess it's more the writing than the posting that is the important part anyway.

I will say though that the fear of offending people, as well as potential reprisals from offended people (violent or otherwise), can stifle creativity and dampen ones freeness with speech and expression, and I do believe that fears of being unPC can make it harder to broach/ speak about sensitive issues.
There's more to it than just one's word choice when it comes to notions of being PC.

Sometimes when talking about important issues one knows that it's going to offend people, especially if speaking frankly. Scrutiny can be offensive to some. Then there's the question of if it is okay to parody beliefs knowing that it is not PC (Charlie Hebdo for example, or South Park) and will offend many people, and may put lives in danger, and if ridicule is an important part of "Western culture" as some say it is.

In Canada as a country with hate laws, and stereotypically polite people, one question that is asked, at least by me, is how much right do we have to offend?
Certainly everyone has the right to take offence, but not to the point of bloody revenge, but that's another issue.

On fear of offence, I did highlight as an example one ethic group that is responsible for the most gang violence in my region, as well as honour killings, but on the news the ethnicity seems to be avoided. A prominent member in a position of authority of that ethnicity and following that religion has said that this culture of silence is harmful. He said that the fear of identifying them by the media so as not to offend members of that religion is doing more harm than good. Incidentally, our Minister of National Defence who lives in the same area and is of the same ethnicity and religion wants the youth to join the military instead of joining gangs.

I'm all for choosing ones words wisely and not using derogatory terms, but the danger is a culture of silence where people avoid speaking about issues that may be perceived to marginalize or insult groups of people. Also, parody can be really toothless when you overly fear ridiculing people, cultures, and belief systems.   It wasn't being aimed at a minority, but The Life of Brian offended lots of people, and I'm glad it was made. Salman Rushdie offended lots of people with the Satanic Verses, Charlie Hebdo ridiculed various groups, and it was not PC and could be pretty disgusting, and everybody knows how that went. South Park is an equal opportunity offender.

I just don't know where the PC line should be drawn. How much ridicule is okay, and should the media have the right to deliberately offend groups of people? That is very much a free speech and freedom of expression issue.

Being PC is pretty much a voluntary issue, but one can expect or be concerned about consequences in certain cases when one does offend people which can lead to people choosing to be less freely speaking (or less freely acting) out of fear -- or in extreme cases, being killed so that they can't speak at all.

Edited by Logan - July 29 2016 at 09:13
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 05:49
Word choice is just a simplification of language choice because how you talk to or about an individual or group determines how your words will be interpreted. Every definition of Political Correct uses the word "avoidance" - that covers avoiding the use of language or action that inadvertently offends and avoiding causing casual offence by language or action that is likely to cause offence, but it does not mean avoiding confrontation or avoiding causing offence when the intention is to offend. If the intention is to offend then there is no PC way of going about it. The objection to Political Correctness is not about the words used but the words are what the objectors home-in on so any rebuttal of that will come over as a defence of those words themselves and their apparent usage and will appear as a defence of Political Correctness. Since Political Correctness is a pejorative term used against liberals then they are hardly likely to defend it, which why I have striven to point-out that a lot of what people are objecting to isn't actually Political Correctness (gone mad) and why the litmus test for those objecting is "respecting others". 

Fear of causing offence doesn't magically go away when the ideas identified as Political Correctness are ignored, negated or scrapped - being non-PC doesn't stop the fear of retribution or reprisal nor does it prevent those reprisals. The reaction is to the offence caused not to the words used to cause the offence. It could even be argued that the fear of causing offence is the fear of being offended by the subsequent reaction however it should come as no surprise that if you offend someone they will be offensive in return. If you intend to criticise a faction within a minority group then damage-limitations means targeting that faction alone and not the whole group, and thus avoiding offending those who you did not intend to offend.

When English comedian Stephen Fry caused offence by accusing sexual abuse victims of wallowing in self-pity and telling them to "grow up" his reaction to the counter-attack was first to run and hide and then to issue a hasty apology regretting causing offence and complained that everyone had missed the point he was making, which implies he wasn't expecting his remarks to be contested and he perhaps isn't as erudite and word-wise as everyone presumes him to be. Conversely when "controversial" Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle caused offence (by making a joke about a c-list celeb's disabled son) he accepted the consequences of his remark (essentially the stalling of his TV career) and rather than apologies he defended himself for highlighting what he believed to be the exploitation by the celebrity of their son's disability. Both these comedians are highly intelligent and are (or at least should be) aware of the consequences of their actions, the same cannot be said of other non-PC 'comedians' whose sole intention is to exploit and offend and who believe it is their right to be offensive with impunity.

Being PC, nonPC, or having Freedom of Speech or Expression does not grant immunity from the repercussions of what they have said or expressed and Freedom of Action does not offer protection against reaction. You can defend someones right to Freedom of Speech but you cannot protect them from the consequences of how they choose to use it. Nor does being unable (by law) to prevent or restrict someones Freedom of Speech mean giving them a free platform to exercise that freedom or allowing them access to a platform to express their views and opinions. Nor does it mean restraining or curtailing any reaction to what they have said. Having the right to hold an opinion or commit an act does not automatically make that opinion or action right or even defendable. If that exercising of ones right to Freedom of Speech/Expression/Action is intended to provoke, antagonise or offend then the only protection the law offers is in making any physical reaction to that unlawful - which is a deterrent but not a preventative. If you provoke a lion then you must expect the consequences of that action to be unpleasant and brutal as the lion is unaware of the consequences of its reaction. If you provoke a fanatic who is prepared to accept the consequences of their reaction then you must expect that reaction to be as unpleasant and as brutal as the reaction to poking a lion in the eye with a stick.

The use shock-comedy to make a point isn't setting out to offend the belief or the subject of the belief but the holder of the belief and in some cases it's not even the holder of the belief that is being satirised but those who are offended by the act of causing offence to the belief-holder. Life of Brian wasn't blasphemy because it satirised and parodied the belief-system and not the belief itself, it didn't offend god but it did offend those who believed in god. South Park (and I have to admit here that I seldom watch it) sets out to satirise by the use of parody those who are offended by offence. Both were/are designed to provoke a reaction but are made in the relatively safe knowledge/assumption that the reaction will not be physical. Charlie Hebdo on the other hand poked a lion in the eye with a stick.

PC is not just a neat rhyming couplet acronym, it's two words: Political and Correct and the key word there is "Political" which is why there is a left-right slant on what is considered to be Politically Correct and what is not. The right has its own form of politically-oriented correct speech but it is rarely, if ever, called PC because the term "PC" is a right-wing pejorative against liberal and/or left-wing ideas - the common citing here is "freedom fries" but we can add other seemingly inoffensive euphemisms here such as "collateral damage", "enhanced interrogation" and "intelligent design" - the difference is each those is designed to protect and cosset the sensibilities of those making them and their target audience, which is patronising and tantamount to passive-aggressive behaviour (i.e. being offensive by avoiding direct confrontation).

[I have noticed that (ironically) in the USA the Americanised version of the British anti-PC cry of "PC gone mad" is "PC run amok" which in itself is a PC substitution.]

It seems incongruous to me that standing up for equality, defending sexual orientation and the right of individuals not to be ridiculed and/or victimised for their beliefs or physical appearance is a wholly political (and predominately "liberal") thing, which is why I will continue to separate Political Correctness from censorship and freedom of speech.

disclaimer: I'm not so much defending Political Correctness here as addressing the notion that the opposite of Political Correctness (i.e. anti-PC or unPC) is Political Incorrectness (which it isn't).

Edited by Dean - July 30 2016 at 06:12
What?
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 11:38
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

I'm probably the only anti-Trump person on here that would've voted to leave if I were a British citizen. Look, the immigration crisis is indeed a problem, as too many immigrants, regardless of what religion, race or gender they are, would have a negative impact on the economy. The migrants coming here probably don't care about the rules here, which is a shame really. I wouldn't go as far to say it's an "invasion" (mainly because if it were, then it's one of the worst I've ever seen LOL). It doesn't help much since they're Middle-Eastern Muslims (whose countries don't have a good track record in regards to human rights), and a majority of them aren't even from Syria (where we SHOULD get the refugees).

Notice I'm talking about Muslim immigration, and Polish. I mean, seriously, since when did they get involved? How are they a problem, ffs?

I'm not sure to really understand your argumentation: since Lebanon and Turkey "welcome" around 1 million Syrian refugees each, should these countries also leave UE because of the immigration Crisis? Question

Not sure that the majority of those one million are actually refugees, per say. And also, are Turkey and Lebanon in the EU, exactly, because I don't think they'd really fit in there (especially the latter after the coup)? And also, what I mean about the "too many immigrants" is that there won't be enough supplies, food, and/or shelters, etc. available to the insane of number of any immigrants, whatsoever. Of course these policies should still be around, but we shouldn't be reckless and just let a REALLY vast amount of immigrants into the country, you know? 
Progrockdude
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 05:58

I'm probably the only anti-Trump person on here that would've voted to leave if I were a British citizen. Look, the immigration crisis is indeed a problem, as too many immigrants, regardless of what religion, race or gender they are, would have a negative impact on the economy. The migrants coming here probably don't care about the rules here, which is a shame really. I wouldn't go as far to say it's an "invasion" (mainly because if it were, then it's one of the worst I've ever seen LOL). It doesn't help much since they're Middle-Eastern Muslims (whose countries don't have a good track record in regards to human rights), and a majority of them aren't even from Syria (where we SHOULD get the refugees).

Notice I'm talking about Muslim immigration, and Polish. I mean, seriously, since when did they get involved? How are they a problem, ffs?

I'm not sure to really understand your argumentation: since Lebanon and Turkey "welcome" around 1 million Syrian refugees each, should these countries also leave UE because of the immigration Crisis? Question

Not sure that the majority of those one million are actually refugees, per say. And also, are Turkey and Lebanon in the EU, exactly, because I don't think they'd really fit in there (especially the latter after the coup)? And also, what I mean about the "too many immigrants" is that there won't be enough supplies, food, and/or shelters, etc. available to the insane of number of any immigrants, whatsoever. Of course these policies should still be around, but we shouldn't be reckless and just let a REALLY vast amount of immigrants into the country, you know? 

First: have you realised that my post was a joke made of something called "irony" and "sarcasm"?

Secondly: do you just know which countries are part of the EU, which countries could apply to enter and which countries are actually managing the refugees crisis?

Thirdly: do you really think that the Brexit was only motivated by this recent immigration crisis? Haven't you heard of euroskepticism in UK before the 2010's?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 12:49
CPicard, I was confused by your intent too. Later I thought you must have been joking in some way, but joking especially without facial expressions can be hard to appreciate. Anyway, I don't think it was ever intended to be a hahah belly laugh type joke. ;) I personally tend not to find sarcasm funny as it is mocking and contemptful, much like, segue time, not being PC....

Dean, an excellent post and I do get where you are coming from (personally saddens me to see mention of Fry again as I do appreciate him even though he has done some things that are contemptible, but that's by-the-by). I think my problem is not so much a PC problem as it is a matter of being sometimes too socially/ politically safe as opposed to being socially and politically responsible.

Edited by Logan - July 31 2016 at 12:50
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 04:28

CPicard, I was confused by your intent too. Later I thought you must have been joking in some way, but joking especially without facial expressions can be hard to appreciate. Anyway, I don't think it was ever intended to be a hahah belly laugh type joke. ;) I personally tend not to find sarcasm funny as it is mocking and contemptful, much like, segue time, not being PC....

Well, strangely, my sarcasms are often targeting so-called "non-PC" opinions.
I may sound "mocking and contemptful" using sarcasm to express my views, but keep in mind that I'm living in France, where the political debates are becoming more and more a competition of insults, lies, propagandas... coming especially from the right-wing and the extreme right-wing.
I'm somewhat disturbed by the news coming from UK concerning the attitudes of some people after the Brexit (anti-Polish xenophobia, for example) or the declarations of Trump, that could lead some people in France to talk or act in more extreme ways that they already are.
So, maybe sarcasm isn't funny, but I'm not sure the state of the world nowadays (and I'm also looking at India, Burma, China...) could inspire me better than that.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 14:00

I may sound "mocking and contemptful" using sarcasm to express my views, but keep in mind that I'm living in France, where the political debates are becoming more and more a competition of insults, lies, propagandas... coming especially from the right-wing and the extreme right-wing.

Ermm Hmm. How do you pronounce Trump in French?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 14:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ermm Hmm. How do you pronounce Trump in French?

With caution and far from the children's ears.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 16:43
LOL
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123