Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any full episodes from this season. I started on the Skyfall, erm Spyfall episode, but stopped when Stephen Fry's character was killed. It felt like a chore to watch the last season -- something that last happened to me in the 1980s with Doctor Who.

Here's a young Chris Chibnall criticising Doctor Who in 1986 (he has now distanced himself from his early criticism calling it nonsense, perhaps because of the amount of criticism he gets). Forget the title of the video, that's a joke as he wrote 42 for 2007's Doctor Who (I actually rather liked that episode).

Thanks for the link.....I'll watch it.
I miss Capaldi, Smith, Tenant,   and imho some of the past writing wasn't bad..I enjoyed many of the episodes.
I know some disliked the River Song stories but I liked them and her character.....so the new issues for me is not the fact we now have a Lady Doc...I just don't think she captures DR Who for me. I'll keep watching because I'm a Who fan, but.......

Edited by dr wu23 - February 03 2020 at 15:04
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 21:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Just watched the latest episode...Praxeus...am I the only one that thought it was lame..?

They are certainly hammering home the ecological themes this season. 

I do think overall this season is a step up from last year, but overall just ok. They are definitely building up tosomething though, so I suspect my feelings for the season as a whole will be tied to how these loose ends tie up. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 10:52
^That's my thought too. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 16:13
Tom Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Peter Capaldi
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 06:57
Long, long dead. The only thing I enjoyed about Dr Who, after Tom Baker, was the theme music. Which is why I did my own variation it. I'm considering doing another jam track around the Dr Who theme for the next album. 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/1variations-on-a-theme

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 13:54
Reboot Doctors

1. Capaldi
2. McGann
3. Smith
4. Eccleston
5. Whittaker
6. Tennant
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 14:36
Watched the Byron/Shelly episode the other night...and again while I enjoyed the 19th century tale...it was a mediocre episode. I'm starting to get tired of the fact of them reusing Cybermen and Daleks whenever they run out of ideas.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 15:45
Starting to get tired of it? I got tired of it in the David Tennant years.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 16:31
Too young for Hartnell, but grew up on Troughton, Pertwee and Baker. Drifted away after that (life and other things got me out of the routine). Loved the re-boot and it coincided with my children being of an age to enjoy it with me. I thought the Tennant years were wonderful - the writing was top notch, and even Smith and Capaldi maintained the high standard (helped by good companions too). Never liked the idea of a female doctor, but gave Whittaker a chance - but she is just not a good actor (never liked her in Broadchurch) - although to be fair she is not helped by the dreadful scripts - most of which are so worthy and educational, you feel patronised by their messages. It's a real shame - I don't get the buzz at present - but hopefully it'll return - but think a new re-boot is called for again
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Watched the Byron/Shelly episode the other night...and again while I enjoyed the 19th century tale...it was a mediocre episode. I'm starting to get tired of the fact of them reusing Cybermen and Daleks whenever they run out of ideas.

That's a good point. It reminds me of the Goa'uld on Stargate SG-1, but they were able to conclude that story line and introduce new "villiains," like the replicators. Doctor Who could use a new rivalry of sorts.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2020 at 06:36
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Tom Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Peter Capaldi
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee

The McCoy period basically killed off Dr Who for most people - he's a good actor but the whole era was woeful imo.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 00:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Tom Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Peter Capaldi
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee

The McCoy period basically killed off Dr Who for most people - he's a good actor but the whole era was woeful imo.

I disagrees, it didn't koll it off at all. It was just the change in TV in general, so many old things ended. And so much new shortlived stuff started on UK tv.

I loved the McCoy period, and I know it has a huge fan base, as does every doctor. It was sinister in a unique way, similar to how Sapphire & Steel was cosy and sinister at the same time, and Ace was a great conpanion. I really didn't like the Davidson and Colin Baker years though, they were pale imitations of the Ton Baker years.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 20 2020 at 00:32
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Too young for Hartnell, but grew up on Troughton, Pertwee and Baker. Drifted away after that (life and other things got me out of the routine). Loved the re-boot and it coincided with my children being of an age to enjoy it with me. I thought the Tennant years were wonderful - the writing was top notch, and even Smith and Capaldi maintained the high standard (helped by good companions too). Never liked the idea of a female doctor, but gave Whittaker a chance - but she is just not a good actor (never liked her in Broadchurch) - although to be fair she is not helped by the dreadful scripts - most of which are so worthy and educational, you feel patronised by their messages. It's a real shame - I don't get the buzz at present - but hopefully it'll return - but think a new re-boot is called for again

Exactly, she isn't a good actor at all. And Yes it is so preachy and socially correct all the time, so boring. It's like watching a primary school teacher taking her class on an outing, where they are all so well-behaved.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 20 2020 at 00:38
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:06
All I'm saying is that I'm writing music again aaaaand....... well. Draw your own conclusions from the artwork for the single from the album (which is called Omnivac, incidentally). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345