Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you follow/have local prog bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 16:47
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

None here in Lawton, Oklahoma that I'm aware of.

And none here in San Diego, Ca. At least not to my knowledge.

Astra, which has been a pretty big name, comes from there. Really good band, I think. Maybe not progressive in a sense as they have I think a really good retro sound.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 17:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOLThumbs Up I once saw a prog band play Willie's in Stillwater once...  what a riot.. the bassist got in a fist fight with heckler and the band finally had to cut its set short under a barrage of beer bottles.

good times......

In the mid-late 1980s, I lived in Tulsa, OK and was bassist to the amazing Lon Jones and his "CAVU" project!  Lon was one of the first Guitar Craft students of Bob Fripp, and he was a musical genius. 

Of course, whenever we played in public, the Okies would sort of scratch their heads, but still, we had a great time with it!  

I saw quite a few prog artists come through Tulsa back then, including Al Dimeola (who played at the Cains Ballroom), Chick Corea Band (who played at the late, great Tulsa Center for the Contemporary Arts), Adrian Belew's solo project (another TUCCA show), Pat Metheny (fantastic show), and the Moody Blues (at the Oral Roberts University auditorium!).  

Chicago used to have lots of home-grown prog, I don't know where it went.  We were particularly strong in jazz-rock fusion, with local bands Apprentice, Spyro Gyra, and Kick the Cat, but it seems to have gone quiet lately. 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by cstack3 - August 08 2016 at 17:13
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 18:11
There's Lethargy, a technical death metal band/mathcore, and Psyopus who are avant-garde metal. That's the closest I get to local prog. 

Edited by aglasshouse - August 08 2016 at 18:14
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 02:50
No
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 07:30
Unfortunately here in Amish country there are no local prog bands to speak of. It would be nice. The bars and clubs in this area require the bands to play classic rock form the 70's, 80's and 90's if you want to work. I used to play in one of those bands a few years back. The money was nice but I got so tired of playing the same old tunes for 11 years and had to give it up. I didn't feel challenged as a musician and felt stagnant. I haven't listened to anything but prog since.     
Lost in trance of dances, as rhythm takes another turn
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 08:28
C Stack mentioned Chicago.....I think 'Cheer Accident' is based there.
A few years back...one of my friends from Chicago used to go see them on a reg basis in and around the area.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 08:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

LOLThumbs Up I once saw a prog band play Willie's in Stillwater once...  what a riot.. the bassist got in a fist fight with heckler and the band finally had to cut its set short under a barrage of beer bottles.

good times......

In the mid-late 1980s, I lived in Tulsa, OK and was bassist to the amazing Lon Jones and his "CAVU" project!  Lon was one of the first Guitar Craft students of Bob Fripp, and he was a musical genius. 

Of course, whenever we played in public, the Okies would sort of scratch their heads, but still, we had a great time with it!  

I saw quite a few prog artists come through Tulsa back then, including Al Dimeola (who played at the Cains Ballroom), Chick Corea Band (who played at the late, great Tulsa Center for the Contemporary Arts), Adrian Belew's solo project (another TUCCA show), Pat Metheny (fantastic show), and the Moody Blues (at the Oral Roberts University auditorium!).  

Chicago used to have lots of home-grown prog, I don't know where it went.  We were particularly strong in jazz-rock fusion, with local bands Apprentice, Spyro Gyra, and Kick the Cat, but it seems to have gone quiet lately. 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Tulsa ehh... loved that city. Yeah it had a lively music scene when I lived there (mid 90's).  I mainly played in Stillwater we never got too serious but yeah.... in addition to a few gigs that didn't connect with our audiences LOL and few scuffles .. we did have a great time even if it at times was something right out of a Blue Brothers scene. My Rickenbacker was famous in Stillwater though...my place was the place for good progressive music and good dope and more Jack Daniels that one should humanly drink... I used to practice on my front porch and my god.. prog or not... my oh my did I draw some female interest. Perhaps it was the combination of a Stetson and Rickenbacker that seemed so odd. LOL  Well I was damn good player back then. 

Good times.... the less said the better since my better half tends to read my posts.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 08:06
here in D.C we do have a thriving experimental scene...  we have a yearly festival spotlighting those bands. Sonic Circuits and though we haven't gone in a number of years... we really did enjoy ourselves.

Raff is president of the DC Art Rock society .. in charge of promoting the local prog scene here. not that she does much. I think it is pretty dead. We do go to our yearly meetings that just turn into drunken orgies of prog and high idealism. Myself.. nah.. I am not a member. I just go to yearly meetings to drink with that famous Sci-Fi writer that is on the membership board.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 13:00

here in D.C we do have a thriving experimental scene...  we have a yearly festival spotlighting those bands. Sonic Circuits and though we haven't gone in a number of years... we really did enjoy ourselves.

Raff is president of the DC Art Rock society .. in charge of promoting the local prog scene here. not that she does much. I think it is pretty dead. We do go to our yearly meetings that just turn into drunken orgies of prog and high idealism. Myself.. nah.. I am not a member. I just go to yearly meetings to drink with that famous Sci-Fi writer that is on the membership board.

DC is also home base for Dan Britton, the creative driving force behind some fine groups, most notably Birds and Buildings.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 13:55
The place where I live has utterly failed to be a breeding ground for prog bands throughout the decades.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

DC is also home base for Dan Britton, the creative driving force behind some fine groups, most notably Birds and Buildings.

oh yeah.. Dan is a wweetheart and a great talent.  There are some really good groups and artists here.  The biggest and best to come out of DC would be the Muffins. I sort of was getting at .. new fresh groups to explore and promote.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 08:20
It's pretty dead prog-wise here in Vancouver, Canada.  The only local that I'm aware of is Black Mountain, who are on PA and have a nice psychedelic vibe.   I haven't yet seen them live.  It's been a sh*tty year for touring prog acts here.

Oh, wait.  There's Devin Townsend too!

Edited by twalsh - August 16 2016 at 08:22
More heavy prog, please!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 11:35
The only local prog band I ever saw was at my community college east of San Diego (called Grossmont, to be exact) back in '76/'77. i had just finished my morning classes and saw these guys setting up. They called themselves Harlequin, and to some degree the dressed the part. Their whole set sounded like prog to me with mixed time signatures and lengthy instrumentals, but only knowing a few giants of prog at the time, I couldn't tell you just what they covered. Well, their set went over like a led zeppelin, and by the last few numbers with hordes of disinterested students walking past them as if they were road kill, the resorted to playing, I believe, some Steve Miller and a Boston tune. So sad.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 11:41
I believe Panic Room started out here in Swansea, Wales. I've got 2 of their albums, and Incarnate (2014) in particular is well worth your time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12