Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The American Political System: Can It Be Fixed?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Political System: Can It Be Fixed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

No
You're too eloquent for such a brief response T. Could you please expand on your reply. Thanks.
Sorry. But yes, I see it impossible. Too many strange things have to happen from a political point of view and then there even have to be societal mindset changes that I think in 2079 the system will be exactly the same. To "fix" this system you need money out of politics (won't happen, even if it's somewhat reduced, the American elections will remain a "who has more money for ads and staff" contest); you need in my opinion more than 2 parties (won't happen, unless Democrats and Republicans for some reason get a liking to political harakiri); you need a more informed electorate (yes, with such "tremendous" education at the mid-high school level); I even think you make minor things like a national voting day holiday (won't happen, Republicans won't let it happen); no gerrymandering; etc etc etc etc. 

Short of an actual social revolution (which won't ever happen here as American youth seems to not give a sh*t about anything but cars women and the NFL) the system will remain as it is forever. 

So, considering my pessimism, my original "NO" sufficed. Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 10:18
^Gotcha! Thanks!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 11:10

Short of an actual social revolution (which won't ever happen here as American youth seems to not give a sh*t about anything but cars women and the NFL) the system will remain as it is forever.

I disagree with that, things like the Occupy movement and the BLM movement are proof that this generation has become less complacent imo
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 11:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

What has steadily and irreversibly changed over the past century is the diversity of the electorate, and of the population in general.  Today people of all faiths, economic classes, religions, genders and social viewpoints have the power of the ballot box, although even here there are constant attempts to dilute that diversity through gerrymandering, voter ID initiatives, intimidation and other forms of disenfranchisement.  It is not a coincidence that the my current state requires state-issued IDs and in this area the only two places to get one are DMV offices that are in white neighborhoods and off the path of public transportation.  This was not the case several years ago when state IDs were not required to vote.

The two-party, winner take all approach, funded and influenced by special interests that we have for elections is the system, and if not broken then it at least has become highly ineffective.  National parties choose the candidates, which means I can have anyone I want as President or Senator, as long as it is one of the pre-approved selections of those parties.  Super delegates didn't decide the Democratic nominee but their existence means the national party controls the nomination process except in the case of a high landslide, which will become more unlikely as our population becomes more diverse.  And we've proven time and again that there is no realistic chance of a third-party candidate, and the primary systems of many states prevent third-parties from even making it onto a ballot, so the ability to affect change through voting is a restrictive proposition at best.  And given the growing diversity of our voting population it seems likely that we will continue to see elections like this one where we play out a sick game of 'would you rather' at the polls because our outdated system is not designed to accommodate much beyond either/or choices.

This is an excellent overview of the main problems of US political system in a nutshell, as far as I'm concerned. But what is the remedy to this Bob? Hopefully, identifying the areas of disease will lead to a cure.

Let's hope that is the case.

IMHO a major overhaul or revolution of either extreme is unlikely to be successful, simply because the resulting upheaval would never be tolerated by the political elite or the government itself, and would be feared by many citizens.  I'm referring to a dramatic change in our 'system' such as replacing the electoral college with a popular vote; or replacing Congress with a parliamentary system; or major campaign finance reform which would almost certainly require action by the Supreme Court and Congress; or changing the very balance of powers our current three-tiered government rests on; or a Constitutional amendment of any kind; or the emergence of a third or fourth party; or more dramatically an uprising, coup, succession or other civil action.  These things aren't likely to happen and even if they did wouldn't likely solve the root causes of our political problems and would create several new ones.

The problem as I see it is that we have two parties that are becoming more polar while the electorate they're supposed to represent becomes more diverse.  So it may be that there was a time when the majority of voters identified with the ideals and values of one or the other party, but as minorities and women and teens and non-Protestant and non-elite citizens gained the right and the ability to vote, it was inevitable that more and more voters would emerge whose values and interests fell outside the boundaries of one or the other party's platforms.  And that's what has happened.

The solution is obvious, making it happen is the challenge.  The solution is that each party needs to broaden its platform and become more inclusive, but the reality is the opposite is happening.  People like Trump appeal to populist emotions but in reality people on the left & right extremes of his flock will never work together in government or socially, and probably don't even work together on his campaign.  The Republicans give lip service to trying to make themselves more relevant to minorities and young people and non-Christians and immigrants and the working class, but the efforts are disingenuous and tend to be more about trying to get non-standard Republicans to talk, act and think like the old-guard party base.  Hence the jokes about self-loathing Log Cabin Republicans and Hispanic Republicans chanting at rallys "We don't need our kind around here!"

The Democrats aren't much better, as is evidenced by the back-room tactics of the national party leaders to illegally (or at least unethically) manipulate candidate support within their own party prior to the primary, or frankly by even having super delegates in the first place.  Much of the 'embracing' of diversity within the party smells of pandering, especially at the national and candidate level.

Compared to the alternatives I think the safest, most realistic and most likely to succeed solution is to evolve the two established parties to the point where they start to reflect and represent the broad majority of citizens again.  And this doesn't require government, it doesn't require a bunch of money or constitutional amendments.  However, since we can't popularly elect the national leadership of the major parties, it does mean those leaders must to make a legitimate, sincere and concentrated effort to dilute their respective extreme positions along the political spectrum, and members of both parties need to be aggressive in rejecting any extreme positions within their own parties.  Can this be done?  Not sure, but this will be the 10th presidential election I've voted in and I've never seen either party so weak, unpopular or disheveled.  I do have faith that there are enough adults among both parties leaders that we will see some self-imposed reform once the debacle that is Campaign 2016 finally ends.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 12:14
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I disagree with that, things like the Occupy movement and the BLM movement are proof that this generation has become less complacent imo
It's true that there are elements who have started showing they care a little, but:

1. Sometimes their whole focus is one major issue (as in racism and police brutality in BLM). Though you can effect changes in particular areas, there's no actual overriding ideology or plan to change the way the political system works. 

2. The Occupy movement hasn't coalesced into a proper political alternative or at least movement. Narrow-mindedness and lack of any actual political idea other than the 1% denunciation don't help. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:26

The two-party, winner take all approach, funded and influenced by special interests...

The solution is obvious, making it happen is the challenge.  The solution is that each party needs to broaden its platform and become more inclusive, but the reality is the opposite is happening.  People like Trump appeal to populist emotions but in reality people on the left & right extremes of his flock will never work together in government or socially, and probably don't even work together on his campaign.  The Republicans give lip service to trying to make themselves more relevant to minorities and young people and non-Christians and immigrants and the working class, but the efforts are disingenuous and tend to be more about trying to get non-standard Republicans to talk, act and think like the old-guard party base. 

I do have faith that there are enough adults among both parties leaders that we will see some self-imposed reform once the debacle that is Campaign 2016 finally ends.

Another informative post and there's little here that I can argue against. Even as a Democrat, I too am disgusted with the backroom deals of the Democratic party, but I would like to add that this whole Electoral College deal is a joke, as are delegates and super delegates. When did our  actual votes ever really count?

But your optimism definitely gives me a lift that I haven't felt in quite a while, so a big thanks for that. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 15:38

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yeah.. can't agree with the basic premise.  It isn't our political system that is broken..

it is the country. 

Don't blame the politicians.. blame the un-informed, apathetic, ignorant, hyper-partisan voter for the mess in Washington.  For electing and continuing to return to office those that have zero interest in doing anything other than obstruction or pushing agendas that serve the few rather than the many .  Zero ideas on how to responsibly govern.. to work together to say yes.. to move forward.. and who are only there (and put there implicitly by idiot voters who then rage about how our government is broken and nothing gets done) to say no.. and obstruct.

Gotta disagree on several counts Mick.  The last two presidential (and congressional) election cycles were the most expensive in terms of media and promotional spending, so it's hard to argue people are uninformed.  Misinformed maybe, but not uninformed.  And I don't think voters are apathetic either.  We've had a pretty consistent level of voter participation for the past forty years, 50-60%, but the partisanship has grown steadily over that same time period.  You have to go back to the last half of the 19th century to see higher levels of participation, and back then pretty much only Protestant, land-owning white men had the right to vote (more on that in a moment).  And we're certainly not ignorant, at least from a macro-view.  America today has the most well-educated populace in her history, with high-school graduation rates at a near all-time high and enrollment in higher education steadily increasing for the past century.  Partisan politics have gotten uglier over the past few years but this is certainly nothing new for us, one could argue that things were a whole lot uglier 150 years ago when we spent four years killing each other over our sharply-divided political views.

What has steadily and irreversibly changed over the past century is the diversity of the electorate, and of the population in general.  Today people of all faiths, economic classes, religions, genders and social viewpoints have the power of the ballot box, although even here there are constant attempts to dilute that diversity through gerrymandering, voter ID initiatives, intimidation and other forms of disenfranchisement.  It is not a coincidence that the my current state requires state-issued IDs and in this area the only two places to get one are DMV offices that are in white neighborhoods and off the path of public transportation.  This was not the case several years ago when state IDs were not required to vote.

The two-party, winner take all approach, funded and influenced by special interests that we have for elections is the system, and if not broken then it at least has become highly ineffective.  National parties choose the candidates, which means I can have anyone I want as President or Senator, as long as it is one of the pre-approved selections of those parties.  Super delegates didn't decide the Democratic nominee but their existence means the national party controls the nomination process except in the case of a high landslide, which will become more unlikely as our population becomes more diverse.  And we've proven time and again that there is no realistic chance of a third-party candidate, and the primary systems of many states prevent third-parties from even making it onto a ballot, so the ability to affect change through voting is a restrictive proposition at best.  And given the growing diversity of our voting population it seems likely that we will continue to see elections like this one where we play out a sick game of 'would you rather' at the polls because our outdated system is not designed to accommodate much beyond either/or choices.

Heart

I think we are talking on two sides of the same coin here Bob.

Forget the amount spent on previous elections. How much of it related to issues... I'd wager...10%.. and I think I am being generous. The other 90% is related to tearing apart or destroying the opposing candidate. That is something the GOP brought out in 1988 and something the Democrats took some time to learn.. and after finally releazing that the Gen Pop could really care less about the minutia of policy details but care more about which candidate they 'like' best or hate worst... they finally learned what the GOP taught them.

most American voters can't be troubled to learn about the issues... they are engaged.. yes they vote.. but are they really paying attention to issues Bob? Of course not.. if so... Trump would have had his boxers run up the flagpole for the obvious stupidity of his claims. From Obama's birth.. to all the conspiracy theories.. to sim;ply blaming Obama for Khan's son's death... years before he was even a national figure.  The American public.. or a large right wing percentage of it does not care about facts. They hear want they want to hear.

So yes.. I stand by uniformed and ignorant.  40% of this nation takes its news from organizations that have ZERO interest in presenting anything but what the audience tunes in to what to hear. Thus the 2012 poll debacle. Ignorance pure and simple.

Where we are on the same coin is the root cause of a signifcant percenage of the electorate willingly making themselves unimformed and ignorant.

partisan politics. 

great article here...  I must admit.. I found this after my posting diarrea the other night. And proud to say... it says nothing more than what I was saying.

which bring us back to the original topic.. and my posts. The system is not broken... it is the voters that are the problem. The system worked for 200 plus years... what we are seeing now... we have never seen in this country... even when our House members were beating each other with canes. LOL

we simply have never seen this level of partisanship in this country.. never.. not even when we were killing each other ...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-political-process-isnt-rigged-it-has-much-bigger-problems/

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 12:38
Not too surprising you'd say that Micky. 
No the system is not fine, not even closeLOL
And I do believe I said there is no realistic chance of anything happening but that's why the internet is a great place, the discussion of ideas. Until one of our parties (both are equally like to do it) finally just starts censoring the internetLOL

Like I said the $ influence is really the problem behind many things BUT no way the system will just purge itself of that, so just pondering other tinkerings and stuff to help. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 05:35
ErmmHeart

I didn't say the system was fine... I said the system works. THe influence of money has always been a part of government... always will.

K Street didn't pop up overnight.

Something has broken however.. I was merely pointing out what I, and others, see as the real culprit.

It is us... the voters. Blind partisan voting, igorant uninformed voting. Keeping a dead political party on life support and setting it on the track to being a permenant minority party. Our political system is not designed to handle that.  Thus gridlock and obstruction.  We are why the system is broken.

to quote the final line from that article.

Left untouched, our politics will reach a breaking point — maybe we’re already there. And ultimately, voters get the government they deserve.

Edited by micky - September 02 2016 at 05:42
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123