Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcamel (mirage)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: camel (mirage)
    Posted: September 19 2016 at 09:35
listened on Saturday ,a grand sweeping also very melodic venture ,overall I rate it a 8 out of ten although It delivered the kind of prog, that I enjoy (moody blues,james Barclay harvest and Jethro tull )there seems  to  be a  jazz undercurrent,  which unfortunately is not to my taste, because I never really got into the Canterbury scene ,for just that reason (caravan,soft machine ,egg )these  are good bands but again different stokes, for different folks anyone else feels this way ?

Edited by grantman - September 19 2016 at 13:06
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:20
I like Mirage. 8/10 would probably be my rating too. Moonmadness has a slight edge on Mirage IMO, mainly thanks to Lunar Sea which is sublime. Latimers guitar playing is fantastic on hat track.

Back to Mirage... I like all tracks fairly equally, and I think Freefall is a great opener. I've never been a fan of Latimers voice though.

I lost interest after Moonmadness.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:25
The first side is heavily flawed but enjoyable, the second side is one of the best vinyl sides on any prog album. Probably about an 8 out of ten overall
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:47
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

overall I rate it a 8 out of ten although I delivered the kind of prog that I enjoy (moody blues,james Barclay harvest and Jethro tull )there seems  to a jazz undercurrent,  which unfortunely  is not my taste
It's not my intention to be rude but if Mirage is too jazzy(!) for you I think you should try a little bit harder opening up to eh... jazz sounds. I promise it will do only good.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 11:54
Yeah...I was rather perplexed by that notion as well. Mirage too jazzy? I'm not even sure I can think of any moment on there with just a whiff of jazz.
Anyway it used to be my fave Camel album, but I hardly ever spin it anymore. The debut however...yum.
I too have a problem with Latimer's vocals and think they would've improved immensely by cutting them out of the equation altogether or indeed hired another vocalist. This suggests that I really dig the Snow Goose which I don't hoho.
I do love the keyboard and guitar solos of The White Rider - wowsa!

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 19 2016 at 11:55
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 12:14
I rate it 11 out of 10.

My first real symphonic rock album. I alreay listened to several prog-related melodic rock bands like Queen and Saga.

But Camel blew my mind (and Tull and BJH).

I like the pastoral feel to the album Mirage. It's really enjoyable while riding a bicycle through nature.
I rate all 4 first albums by Camel really high. The period 1968-1975 really delivered some high-standard albums.

I like rockmusic better, without heavy riffing and thunderous drums. That's why bands like Camel, Tull and BJH are always more favorite to me than Zeppelin, Purple or Sabbath,
 Post Reply Post Reply