Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 07:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^That's what makes it unique in my view. You're right the music is not irrelevant, but purely as music it is...poor? Simplistic?  It's a conjunction of simple music and simpler poetry that generates a form of art that is neither music nor poetry. 
That's simply because the lyric was written with the musical accompaniment. The song-melody line needs the underlying bass and/or rhythm line accompaniment to make musical sense and vice versa. It's quite difficult to explain what I mean by this, (but it's in practically every Beatles song - these songs were written by two musically illiterate writers and "break all the rules" yet when you look vertically through each song, from sung-melody to guitar accompaniment no rules are actually broken), in these kind of singer-songwriter songs the tempo and rhythm moves melody along on the horizontal axis but the harmonic content of each beat is resolved on the vertical axis - it's like (figuratively but not literally) a nice harmonic chord in the song becomes incomplete if you remove a horizontal layer from the recording. Dylan isn't unique in this, a lot of lyricists who compose at the piano or with guitar in hand work in this way and you'll notice that the rhythm of the accompaniment stays in step with the lyric whereas songs written separately don't always do this.
I see your point. 

It's still poor as pure music. It acquires its importance as a combination of lyrics and sounds. 

Maybe it's me and my fixed concepts... 

Edited by The T - October 26 2016 at 07:46
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 07:45
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Maybe it's me who used to be pissed-off that he was much better than I and my community of aggressive chop-oriented rockers gave him credit for.

To be clear, this all started because of a Nobel in literature... Not the yet-to-be-created Nobel in Singing... Tongue
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 16:46
^ It did become a discussion on his voice, didn't it.   I think I probably caused that when I pointed out that the quality of, or one's opinion of, Dylan's singing was irrelevant to his talent in either music or wordcraft.  

It is also possible to appreciate the awarding and still question the judgement and credibility of the Nobel committee. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 07:52
I agree Thumbs Up (though I disagree) Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 13:51
Just when you thought this thread was dead...

I would like to nominate other songwriters for the Noel Prize for Literature as follows: 1) Towns Van Zandt 2) Steve Earle 3) Neil Young and 4) Bruce Springsteen.

Who would you nominate?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213