Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [40.00%]
21 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 03:40
I never watch video.  Either I'm just listening to music, in which I'll have my eyes closed or be staring vacantly into space, or I'm doing something else at the same time which precludes watching the video. Put another way, when I have the choice of both listening and watching or just listening I always choose just listening.

I also go to quite a few gigs, and if I can't see the band properly it drives me absolutely nuts. Go figure. But actually being at a live performance is a completely different thing for me than listening to recordings.

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 03:55
Not keen on live albums at all.
Certainly never been interested in watching a live DVD or video.
I do have several live bootlegs of Marillion, although I've had to sell a few over the years due to financial worries.
Also have several semi-official live CDs of Al Stewart, but that is mainly because he is so excellent live and interacts so well with the audience.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 05:42
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I would go for audio because it's a lot easier to put a CD on than sit down and watch a DVD. Also you can do other things whilst the CD is playing. I have a few excellent music DVDs but I hardly ever watch them for this reason.
This.
I do most of my music listening on the way to and from work, I don't get much time to sit and watch a DVD.
Having said that, I'll make an exception for the DVD of Before The Dawn if it ever gets released.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 08:25
it depends. with Hawkwind I would definitely go for the video; a lot is happening on stage all the time

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 08:35
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The audio is the essential. The video is an optional.

This---only need film if it is one of my fav performers. Especially if I missed the tour.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 23:37
I've a Yes 2 VCD set that I have heard quite a bit - it's a relatively early web cast. Funny thing is I never noticed it has visuals. Must get around to it sometime.

DG's Remember That Night is great to listen to; probably watch as well.

I'd always opt for the music first but it's nice to have a DVD to avoid the tedious practice of moving.

I've a lot of boots and bootleg video - some is really good once fans with good kit do their thing - means it's historic ELP headlining Cal Jam 74.

Good to have an inexpensive best quality, most complete choice.

Edited by uduwudu - October 21 2016 at 03:44
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 09:08
(a) I am too young to have caught 70s prog.
(b) I live in India so it's very rare for even today's top prog rock bands to perform here.

So for these reasons, it's film, overwhelmingly.  It's a way for me to make up for not being able to watch these bands in concert. I am not an audiophile anyway so as long as the audio is not absolutely terrible, I don't really mind.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 09:17
Basically this:
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I never watch video.  Either I'm just listening to music, in which I'll have my eyes closed or be staring vacantly into space, or I'm doing something else at the same time which precludes watching the video. Put another way, when I have the choice of both listening and watching or just listening I always choose just listening.

I also go to quite a few gigs, and if I can't see the band properly it drives me absolutely nuts. Go figure. But actually being at a live performance is a completely different thing for me than listening to recordings.

I additionally like to mention that live albums are the shizzle...or they can be. Some lf my absolute fave records are live ones. Stuff I consider to be the very best from the respective artist.

Santana - Lotus
Allman Bros - Fillmore
Jimi/Band of Gypsys - Fillmore
Doors - Absolutely Live
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine
Kraan - Live
SBB - Karlstad
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld
The Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks
...aaaaand so forth.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:17
Definitely audio.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:54
audio 95 - 5 video
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 11:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Basically this:

I additionally like to mention that live albums are the shizzle...or they can be. Some lf my absolute fave records are live ones. Stuff I consider to be the very best from the respective artist.

Santana - Lotus
Allman Bros - Fillmore
Doors - Absolutely Live
Kraan - Live
SBB - Karlstad
...aaaaand so forth.

Nice list. Also, I just realised I never heard Jimi at Fillmore Going to fix that right now. It amazes me sometimes that I have the audacity to be alive.   
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 11:30
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

Audio. I rarely ever re-watch videos. I enjoy videos as much as the next guy, I think they're awesome, but I'd rather have the music and listen to it whenever I want to without having to sit down and watch it every time.

This.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 11:35

Basically this:

Santana - Lotus
Allman Bros - Fillmore
Doors - Absolutely Live
Kraan - Live
SBB - Karlstad
...aaaaand so forth.

Nice list. Also, I just realised I never heard Jimi at Fillmore Going to fix that right now. It amazes me sometimes that I have the audacity to be alive.   

It's ok Simon. I am very much enjoying you being alive
But sure get on that Band of Gypsys funk astronaut ride asap! Far more funky than The Experience (Buddy Miles sounds like a lumberjack on steroids), yet also wilder and more avantguarde - at least when it comes to Jimi's soloing. He manages to one during Machine Gun that so beautifully transcribes the horror of Vietnam right into the audience. One of those moments where most guitarists go 'How the blue feck did he just do that?!??'. Insane.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 11:38
Oh almost forgot...it was Machine Gun that made Miles Davis go: 'I wanna work with that guy'. I believed they jammed together and were in the process of cutting an album together just before Jimi died.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 20 2016 at 11:39

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 16:11
Definitely video, if it's live...and if I'm not driving. Leaving stuff to the imagination is what the studio version is for.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 16:43
I changed my mind, audio.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 08:07
Definitely audio here as well.

Santana - Lotus
Allman Bros - Fillmore
Doors - Absolutely Live
Kraan - Live
SBB - Karlstad

...aaaaand so forth.
Love those two. Haven't played them in a while, but this evening might the perfect time to give each another spin. Thanks for the mention. Big smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:49
Audio

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12