Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed70's Aerosmith or 70's AC/DC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Aerosmith VS AC/DC
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [47.83%]
12 [52.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 17:28
that makes some sense I suppose... to a point...not every big American band found audiences outside the N.A. However anyone who considers one of the hottest rock bands out of a America bush league or never made the big time s likely projecting a few non-musical ingredients in the evaluation stew. Wink They were platinum many times over and one of the biggest and hottest bands around. But that was the state of rock then wasn't it.. if AC/DC hadn't have broken here.. they would have likely been nothing more than a good bar band there. Aerosmith didn't need to find an audience overseas.. all the money, pussy and smack they could ever want was right here..LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 17:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that makes some sense I suppose... to a point...not every big American band found audiences outside the N.A. However anyone who considers one of the hottest rock bands out of a America bush league or never made the big time s likely projecting a few non-musical ingredients in the evaluation stew. Wink They were platinum many times over and one of the biggest and hottest bands around. But that was the state of rock then wasn't it.. if AC/DC hadn't have broken here.. they would have likely been nothing more than a good bar band there. Aerosmith didn't need to find an audience overseas.. all the money, pussy and smack they could ever want was right here..LOL

But Metal Micky, that's always been the issue for bands which US citz don't seem to get. 
There are plenty of great bands that never made it in the US- Many OZ bands and many from elsewhere in the world I guess to - could give many examples of Oz bands equal or better than AC/DC who never made it in the US, some of them toured the US but nothing happened for them. 
Just because a US band does not make it in the world at large like Aerosmith- doesn't mean the rest of the world has bad taste because it works both ways. US being the biggest money market always has an impact on bands fortunes. 

AC/DC never really hit it big in the US and elsewhere, until Back in Black outside Oz - where they were always big from 1975 on...... from the first album and the High Voltage single, it helped that they were the brothers of one of the main players in one of Oz''s biggest acts ever The Easybeats. 
The doors were open to them from day one and with brother George and Harry Vanda producing, they couldn't go wrong.......   
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 19:10
Two out of 3 bands that turned hard rock into something I can't stand. Confused
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 20:25
Originally posted by ColonelClaypool ColonelClaypool wrote:

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

AC/DC is the very overrated rock band from 70's esp. when we all know that the majority of their songs sound so similar or the same and they don't have any ballads in their musical catalog.

Not having any ballads in their catalog is by no means a drawback when considering the horrible ballads Aerosmith have in theirs. Crying, Crazy, Amazing, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing are all dreadful.

Agreed, Dream Theater is probably the only band that rivals Aerosmith in awful ballads.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 21:40
Aerosmith is not AC/DC, therefore Aerosmith. It is only logical.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 22:09
I was a massive fan of both bands growing up. Aerosmith was my first favourite band and the first concert I went to was them in the late seventies at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Coincidently AC/DC replaced Aerosmith as my favourite band in 1980 after hearing Highway To Hell for the firs time and they stayed my favourite band for many years. Saw them a couple of times live but not with Bonn sadly. Both bands had incredible live albums in the seventies that rank right up there with my favourites of all time. Live bootleg by Aerosmith and If You Want Blood by AC/DC.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 00:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Quite suprised by the voting in this poll. Toys in attic and Draw the line are better than the entire AC/DC catalogue..

nothing surprises me on this forum LOL

I love both.. but Aerosmith was without a doubt in my mind the better group.. yeah.. with a more diverse sound and better overall albums. Though I think Let There Be Rock matches anything Aerosmith ever did. There is something to be said for AC/DC playing the same song for 30 years. No one ever did as well as they did though LOL  Aerosmith (at least until they got off the drugs could throw some interesting stuff at you at least and they rocked as hard as AC/DC).

that distinction..  I figured it would have set Aerosmith over AC/DC... on this site of all places... but oh well.  Enjoy them both.. I sure as hell do

I saw AC/DC in the 80's and it was a fantastic show, but for me they're one of those bands where there's little point in owning more than say two of their albums. Maybe one from the Bon Scott era and one from the Brian Johnson. Like Status Quo their music is simply too predictable and formulaic.

They're a bit of fun. Aerosmith were also fun but had a few extra dimensions and a few other strings to their bow.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:43
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

I think the problem that Aerosmith have in such a poll (I much prefer AC/DC anyway), is that outside the US they arnt looked upon as in the same league. Outside the US they are also rans never made the  big time.............. might come as a shock to US listener but its true- they never had any hits outside US until Jamies got a gun ............ so there endus the lesson.

Yep, I agree. Aerosmith is/was ten times more popular band in domestic America than in Britain.
And generally British rock bands were a way more popular among American rock fans compared to American rock bands among Brits.
Even if you make the poll of preference "British rock vs American rock" I think the majority of Americans will say that they prefer British rock over domestic rock. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12