Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeshuggah - The Violent Sleep Of Reason

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep Of Reason
    Posted: October 19 2016 at 10:13
Here's my review of the new album, written for an audience who probably won't have heard of Meshuggah before, so it's a fairly broad interpretation of the album:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/meshuggah-the-violent-sleep-of-reason-2016/

Hope you enjoy it.
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 10:32
how is a "violent sleep"? 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 05:40
Thoughts ??
Nothing this exciting since Destroy Erase Improve IMO. Their 'live' approach to recording is a plus this time around. Gives the music a more 'human' performance and feel. Having bassist Dick Lovgren involved in much of the composition allows the songs to have an overall different shape to previous albums. Having a strong Jazz outlet outside of the band ( The Nica Group) allows Dick to compose music which, whilst true to Meshuggah's stylistic brand of Metal, has more 'breathing space'. My opinion, of course. And his playing is up-front and centre like never before. His input is really felt here for the first time in 14 years since he joined.
I also appreciate lead-guitarist Fredrik Thordendal, plays more fluidly and less 'weirdly' than the last few years.
And I can understand Jens' growls more clearly than ever before. This is one heck of an album. Can't wait for their gig next year !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 07 2016 at 05:42
 Post Reply Post Reply