Poll Question: Tom Sawyer vs Bohemian Rhapsody
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [38.98%]
36 [61.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 08:35
I really love both songs, but Bohemian Rhapsody.  Just the audacity of it all astounds me.  A true prog epic in less than six minutes.  I mean, Tom Sawyer's great but...
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 09:24
Both great songs. Unable to vote on this one.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:09
Rhapsody for me. Even though Rush is my favorite band, I sure am tired of Tom Sawyer.

Although, I did get pretty sick of Rhapsody when Wayne's World came out. It was played to death.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:10
I would prefer Rush to Queen. but on this one, Bohemian Rhapsody takes my vote.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 10:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Rhapsody for me. Even though Although, I did get pretty sick of Rhapsody when Wayne's World came out. It was played to death.
Thats what really killed this song for me..........
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 13:21
Oh, do come along.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 13:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ No, not their fault AT ALL. The fault lies with commercial radio stations for constantly spinning the 'same old sh*t', day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.......... You just get tired of it.......

Same old sh*t yeah, but great sh*t, so no problem with that.

I'll take Money and Stairway over any Céline any day.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 16:19
No contest. I went with these chicks:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 19:50
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Would you even still have the early albums in your collection...or did you ever, I don't recall?!
My fave overall. the debut. Then the next best thing they did was Innuendo, with Steve Howe. Hey, they are a fine band, but not my poison......

Yes, I remember `Innuendo' was the first one I got (and sure enough, that title track was a ripper). Strange, don't think I've listened to that album in at least twenty years now. Hell, I've even listened to `Hot Space' more recently than it!

I always felt that `Great King Rat' off the debut would have made a ripper Gabriel-era Genesis song, I could easily imagine Gabriel singing the words! I always loved that lyric `Every second word he swore, yes he was son of a whore, always wanted by the law..."

I don't know that particular song, but really, I can't imagine Gabriel singing Freddy's songs. Freddy Mercury is just one of the very best rock singers.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 22:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't know that particular song, but really, I can't imagine Gabriel singing Freddy's songs. Freddy Mercury is just one of the very best rock singers.

Here's the particular song I meant, it's a world away from the kind of music Queen became known for, one of their proggiest for sure. Killer guitar soloing from Brian May too on this one:

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 10:48
Tom Sawyer is great. 

But Bohemian Rhapsody is titanic.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 11:17
I used to believe that Bohemian Rhapsody was the "Non Plus Ultra", but it has saturated me.

So I vote for Tom Sawyer.

If it was Somebody to Love....I would change my vote.

Iván

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 11:28
Come to think of it, both of these have been played to death, so they interest me little.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:44
Queen

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123