Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 12:05
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

The Dubliners.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 13:04
I resisted the whole CD thing for a while because I was afraid if I started I wouldn't want
to listen to my vinyl anymore. I actually won a my first CD player in a drawing we had at an office Christmas party.  A friend of mine got me a gift certificate & I purchased two CD with it. Peter Gabriel & Renaissance  (both "best of" CD's)  That started the slow painful process of rebuilding my music collection in digital.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 15:34
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

In '84 I bought this novelty player, second hand and slightly battered (belonged to an airline pilot) , and along came Quadrophenia  in 2 separate jewel boxes, which became my first CDs ever - Gggggreat Music, but later bought the much better remastered edition 

I still have the player and it spins like a hurricane

Had that exact model only about 10 years later. Metal buttons....such nostalgia. The door ended up failing.

For the OP question: the exact albums are hard to recall as there was still a significant cassette crossover and CDS were absurdly expensive. Plus my first purchase was a bundle. I know for sure Paranoid, Meddle, Watchtower's Control and Resistance, and Journey to the Center of the Earth were in there.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 20:43
I kept putting off moving from vinyl to CD as long as possible because of the cost of replacing my large and scratched up vinyl collection, the poor availability of prog albums, and the possibility that the CD format wouldn't catch on.  Plus, there were more than a few audiophile type articles that stated CD's would only last a few years before they degraded into unplayable frisbees so it was still a real risk.

Finally the tipping point for me came in 1988 with the "20 Years of Jethro Tull" box set and the Jimi Hendrix "Live at Winterland 1968" releases.  The Tull box came in 2 versions, vinyl (5 LP's) or CD (3 CD's) and the Hendrix album was a CD only release that I wanted really bad.  Since I had to go CD to get the Hendrix album, I figured I might as well get the Tull box on CD at the same time as well...good reasons to take the plunge.  The next CD I bought was Tales From Topographic Oceans.  I was super excited that I now had a recording of Tales that would never degrade with scratches and pops!  Prog availability was still a huge problem though.  The 1st 4 VDGG albums were not even released on import yet!  All they had were these 2 silly compilation CD's called VDGG Vol 1 and Vol 2 or something with selected tracks from The Least, H to He, and Pawn Hearts.  I don't even think all the '69 - '74 Crimson studio albums were released yet either...and if they were, they were terrible sound quality care of the bane of Robert Fripp's existence...EG Records LOL

I signed up for a couple of those music clubs ("Get 10 CD's for a penny if you buy 1 a month for the next year!") and started whittling away at replacing my vinyl.  Luckily as time went on prog classics started showing up...most as $25 Japanese imports at first (which I'm sure is what I paid for Pawn Hearts), but later the price dropped as US and UK record labels got on board and started releasing back catalogs of 70's prog.  As the 90's began, the more obscure prog "1 album wonders" like Netherworld, Pentwater, Mirthrandir, Yezda Urfa, Babylon, Dragonfly, Lift etc began seeing the light of day (along with prog bands with super expensive long out of print vinyl like Greenslade) and buying CD's became more about exploring prog classics I never knew about versus replacing vinyl Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 20:47
^ That I think was the real benefit of the CD changeover; not the improved format but the sudden availability of long out-of-print recordings that only saw new daylight because of CDs.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 21:29
Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 12:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That I think was the real benefit of the CD changeover; not the improved format but the sudden availability of long out-of-print recordings that only saw new daylight because of CDs.

Thank goodness for Synphonic, Musea & Progressive Records Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 12:21
and ProgQuébec.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 12:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

and ProgQuébec.

And Lasers Edge Handshake
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 02:03
Gong-Flying Teapot
The Soft Machine Volume One And Two
Bananamour-Kevin Ayers

For definite. Can't remember much of the early 90's and I was still into vinyl and tapes back then.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 08:23
If I recall correctly, I bought my first CD player in '86, so I think the first CD I bought was the new Peter Gabriel release "So", and several Bowie CDs (Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs) because he was the first performer to release his whole catalogue on CD.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 08:41
First CD I bought was Beatles Past Masters 2 for comparison reasons. Maybe for Pioneer player. I don't recall the brand.  
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 10:41
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

If I recall correctly, I bought my first CD player in '86, so I think the first CD I bought was the new Peter Gabriel release "So", and several Bowie CDs (Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs) because he was the first performer to release his whole catalogue on CD.
Ah, and there's much to commend in those Ryco discs.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456