Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorld music influenced prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 21:21
Alturas de Matchu Pitchu was just recommended, from Los Jaivas... however, particularly check out the song "La Poderosa Muerte". You could check out the band Flor de Loto too... I just got one album a while ago, but it's pretty nice. On a more metal side, there is Rhapsody (of Fire)... I didn't really think of them as prog, but they do have some long instrumental passages and all.
Pigab View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 06:28
Peter Gabriel solo career
Vats View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:14
Shakti
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:33
Embryo - Reise

Aphrodite's Child - 666

Agitation Free

Hydria Spacefolk's first albums

Julian Julien - Terre I

Edited by Modrigue - March 06 2017 at 09:36
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:53
Hi,

I consider the things found listed as "world music", in many cases just as progressive as anything done within a rock music context that we call "prog" or "progressive".

The bigger consideration is/was, if a lot of that music, really made its way to modern times, since electric and electronic instruments have made their way to every nook and cranny around the world, and hearing it on a synth instead of a folk guitar, makes it world music, or progressive, instead of what it is!

Just listened to "Tulku" and "Little Wolf Band" ... and both of those are extremely progressive as far as the work goes, but in the end, it's simply electric American Native music! I guess it's progressive because it got plugged in!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I consider the things found listed as "world music", in many cases just as progressive as anything done within a rock music context that we call "prog" or "progressive".

The bigger consideration is/was, if a lot of that music, really made its way to modern times, since electric and electronic instruments have made their way to every nook and cranny around the world, and hearing it on a synth instead of a folk guitar, makes it world music, or progressive, instead of what it is!

Just listened to "Tulku" and "Little Wolf Band" ... and both of those are extremely progressive as far as the work goes, but in the end, it's simply electric American Native music! I guess it's progressive because it got plugged in!
That's not what "world music" means, while the actual definition has evolved over the years, at no time did it ever mean "played on a synth instead of a folk guitar" (whatever "a folk guitar" is).

Language is a wonderful thing for communicating ideas between two or more human beans if you accept that certain well used phrases have very specific meaning that we all recognise and understand - this means we have to ensure we don't start inventing our own personal definitions because that way lies unparalleled madness.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:23
I am not sure if this qualifies, you decide.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:45
Nobody mentioned Aktuala? OK, I'm going to mention Aktuala.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

That's not what "world music" means, while the actual definition has evolved over the years, at no time did it ever mean "played on a synth instead of a folk guitar" (whatever "a folk guitar" is).

Language is a wonderful thing for communicating ideas between two or more human beans if you accept that certain well used phrases have very specific meaning that we all recognise and understand - this means we have to ensure we don't start inventing our own personal definitions because that way lies unparalleled madness.

Alternative definitions.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their definitions to fit the conventions. They alter the conventions to fit the definitions" (Doctor Hogwash - The Face of Diction).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 08:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Alternative definitions.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their definitions to fit the conventions. They alter the conventions to fit the definitions" (Doctor Hogwash - The Face of Diction).

And the assumption is ... that you are taking a position and stand by it, instead of making comments that do not help the discussion of the topic at all ... in fact, it brings it down to nothing ... that it belongs strictly in people's ideas, and not reality!

I wonder who's the bigger fool, here?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 08:38
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Nobody mentioned Aktuala? OK, I'm going to mention Aktuala.

Aktuala!!!
Wow that's two mentions right there

Aktuala (three).

Also for another slightly different "world music" influenced pork album:
Patrick Moraz - The Story Of I
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:47
You're definitely looking for Jade Warrior. You want the earlier albums; Jade Warrior s/t, Released, Last Autumns Dream, Eclipse, and Fifth Element. Of those, although I like it the best, Released has the least amount of World Music. I would start with the first, Jade Warrior s/t (1971). They actually had no drummer other than the flute player/percussionist, who took care of the rhythmic side of the album beating on various African drums. The guitar has a lot of crunch and a lot of distorted drones, so I think a Prog Metal person will not be disappointed (there's mellow stuff mixed in as well, and it may be a bit bluesier than you're used to). Check out Masai Morning:

Masai Morning

Check out Dark River from Last Autumn's Dream.

Try out also Mwenga Sketch from the album, Eclipse.

Later albums, Floating World, Waves, Kites, and so on, are very precious, but take on an atmospheric ambient sound that may not be what you're looking for. Eclipse and Fifth Element are of the older era, though released later because their record company just sat on them without releasing them originally.

Edited by HackettFan - March 10 2017 at 12:48
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 16:41
I'll go against the grain and add albums that AREN'T INCLUDED ON PROGARCHIVES (oooh, scaaryy..

As far as an 'Ancient' sound you request.. Milgres dos Peixes from Milton Nascimento, or Clube da Esquina. 

On this site.. Of course YS and Melos have a sorta ancient-sound within their keyboard and woodwinds, respectively. Konvergencie has an ancient-ELP style to it, chamber rock. 

Another one that isn't on the Archives here is Paêbirú   by Lula Cortez, a hugely popular album from Brazil. Along with that, the quiet, beautiful (just-married) Nelson Angelo e Joyce. An almost timeless-island album, which you could say is 'ancient'..

It took me a number of years to discover these bands, please discover and love them!! My good friend Tyler just recently listened to Nelson Angelo e Joyce and straight-after he called it the most beautiful piece of music he's ever heard. 

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Archives. It introduced me to so much Italian music I never would've dreamt to have heard before. I just missed out on so many great ones like.. 
SHIINA RINGO's Karuki Zamen and Pescado Rabioso's Artaud!! 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 16:58
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 21:12
I see I had already given an opinion on this thread, but this time around, since I read the title, the first thing that came to my mind is Mike Oldfield. But more than being a prog artist influenced by prog, he was one of the main influences to the genre, as I understand it. Just check out his 70's albums, for me they are definitley prog (if you consider Pink Floyd prog, then there's no way Oldfield could be left out). Actually I'm surprised he hasn't come up yet (even by myself).
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 21:01
Ingrid Karklins, especially her 2 earlier albums on Green Linnet.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 03:51
How about the Third Ear Band?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Harmonicbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 09:34
G.O.A.T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12