Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Neal Morse Album in the Top 100 List

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Neal Morse Album in the Top 100 List
    Posted: December 04 2016 at 08:22
I apparently can't post in the 'Errors and Omissions' forum thread, so I'll just park it here for someone to move.

I just noticed that the new Neal Morse album now occupies rank 37 of the all-time greatest albums. It might be, or it might not be, I don't know, time will probably tell. But isn't it a bit of a stretch declaring that position for an album that's only been out for a couple of weeks? Surely something must have gone wrong there.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 08:31
Us Christians have voted en-masse to get Neal Morse's newie into the top 100 of all time! God bless, it's a miracle! Hallelujah!

But really, this sometimes happens when there's a lot of buzz around new albums that a lot of people are pretty excited about, it will likely slip down and vanish from the list over time, once the instant hype and freshness of it dwindle (and, you know, reality sets in....)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 08:44
I've seen many an album burst up onto the charts and then slip away to the dredges of time. Many though find a comfortable spot near the bottom of the chart in the low 200s. I picked up the Neal Morse album simply because of the hype to see if it was a good as everyone says. I have to say that it is quite the brilliant album but doesn't quite reach the 5 star mark for me. Still though, i could think of worse albums to perch at the top of the charts
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 08:44
@ Aussie:

SmileSmileSmile Cheers.

You know, I've listened to it a few times now, and my opinion is something like: Oh, yes, another Neal Morse album (shrug).

Don't get me wrong, I like his music although usually I find his lyrics to be bordering on the repulsive, but hey, each to his own. But seriously, his albums are more than a bit samey, I find. A sort of AC/DC album progression thing. No offense.

I personally find that his Testimony (1) album would deserve a place in the top 100, because that seems to have stood the test of time, and at that time it was something new. Not only that, but it was considerably more diverse.

But then again, what do I know.

Edited by npjnpj - December 04 2016 at 08:45
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 09:10
You know, I was going to add at end of my original post `And I'm actually a massive NM fan'!

Just the other day a friend on here and I were discussing this album, he asked what I thought of it, and I honestly replied that I hadn't even bothered picking it up yet so have not heard it. I initially rolled my eyes at those Mike Portnoy claims of it being soooooo amazing, and the one or two clips I heard from it sure enough sounded like `more of the same'. I said to him `I am going to buy it, because I do enjoy his albums, but at the same time, I have absolutely no excitement about jumping right away on an album that, let's face it, is probably going to sound exactly like a `Neal Morse Album'!

Anyway, I'm putting together an order with my usual prog vendor that I'll probably finalise in the next two-three weeks, etc, and that new Morse one will be included, but yeah....it's definitely kind of late getting to that party!
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 09:11
That's what happens when fanboys give 5 stars to a new album. The ratings on PA mean nothing to me, reviews mean more IMO. The sad thing is...some people will look at high ratings and think "Oh, this must be good then..." 
Magma America Great Make Again
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 09:48
Well it's the first Neal Morse album I've picked up in many years, so I hope the hype is real. And yes this happens fairly often. I remember IQ's most recent album being high on the charts and reading the same complaints. I should actually see if it's dropped way down like they usually do.
I just checked and IQ's Road Of Bones is at 64 which surprises me actually that it's stayed in the top 100 after what a year? Anyway these things will equal out eventually.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - December 04 2016 at 09:52
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 13:20
No offense, but why do you care about the top 100? It doesn't mean they are the best albums. Everyone has got their own list of favorites. It is just numbers. I don't think everyone agrees on every album listed there.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 13:44
Seriously?
Well, firstly I've found it an invaluable list to discover music and artists I wouldn't have known otherwise, and secondly the algorithm behind it bothers me.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 13:45
It's just a natural mechanism. Every now and then we see a new album popping up because an artist or band has a large fanbase on PA and some the fanboys who fire five star ratings at it on first impulse also take some effort in writing a review, putting a tenfold weight on their ratings - or because the album IS actually that good. Most of these hyped ratings blow over because deliberate ears take some more time to form their well-considered opinions. I remember that, for instance, Snowtorch by Phideaux reached #30 some weeks after its release, but I have to extend the query result to find it ranked #142 in the top 250 today.

Edited by someone_else - December 04 2016 at 13:46
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Well it's the first Neal Morse album I've picked up in many years, so I hope the hype is real. And yes this happens fairly often. I remember IQ's most recent album being high on the charts and reading the same complaints. I should actually see if it's dropped way down like they usually do.
I just checked and IQ's Road Of Bones is at 64 which surprises me actually that it's stayed in the top 100 after what a year? Anyway these things will equal out eventually.

Road of Bones staying high in the charts does not surprise me, John. It is a fine album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 15:35
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Seriously?
Well, firstly I've found it an invaluable list to discover music and artists I wouldn't have known otherwise, and secondly the algorithm behind it bothers me.
So the whole evaluation system should change just because you disagree? If there was a thread for everything that bothers someone..... Ermm
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 16:27
What's up with you? Been a while since you got some? LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 09:25
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

No offense, but why do you care about the top 100? It doesn't mean they are the best albums. Everyone has got their own list of favorites. It is just numbers. I don't think everyone agrees on every album listed there.
It's there in the Top 100 because reviewers on this site have it ranked as such. I question your comment that "Everyone has got their own list of favorites".....I think many of the top reviewers take a non biased approach to their reviews. I suspect there are some that do not like NM, as well as many other artists, and still give the album a very good rating because it is a good album. I read many reviews where you can clearly read the fanboyism approach to rating.
I have zero issue with NM being in the top 100, we need some shake up in that list anyhow, it's getting long in the tooth and rather dull read now. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 10:40
As somebody with a general interest in rating systems I had a look at the numbers and asked myself whether I think that this is a case to argue about PA's system, which apparently in a sophisticated manner uses the weighted average star rating but also the number of votes.

So this one has 122 votes right now and the rating is 4.55. VDGG's H to He on the next position has 4.30 on more than ten times the number of votes. Morse currently has six reviews, all five stars. Ommadawn, one rank higher, has 4.32 with >1000 votes.

The thing is that there's really no objective way to say a how much higher a rating should be required to make up for the fact that another album has ten times as many votes.
Ultimately 122 is a fair number of votes and if such a number vote an album at 4.55 one can argue that it deserves to be there; certainly a bunch of 12 people couldn't do that to their favourite band.

Still my intuition is that 6 reviews is somewhat too thin; one could ask for at least 10 reviews to appear in the top 100, or for one year time, because obviously people write reviews after a few weeks and there is no indication yet of how well this album ages. I have thought on occasion that an album is five star when I got it and after a year I wasn't interested anymore.

This is not meant to criticise the system; by and large I think it is pretty smart. Still, if I had to set up such a system, I'd probably make it slightly more difficult for very new albums to raise that high.

Note that I actually don't know that Morse album so whether it is good enough in my ears doesn't play any role for what I write here.

Edited by Lewian - December 05 2016 at 10:41
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 10:53
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The thing is that there's really no objective way to say a how much higher a rating should be required to make up for the fact that another album has ten times as many votes.

On second thoughts, a statistician could actually compute the uncertainty in the average stars rating based on the "sample size" (i.e., number of voters), making some dubious but probably not too evil assumptions. This could be used in some way. For example one could ask a new album to have a so high rating that it is significantly better than one with x times more votes in order to be placed ahead of it. But such a rule would make it deliberately hard for new albums and it's still up to people's taste whether they want that. (It could more or less justify Morse's position, though.)

Edited by Lewian - December 05 2016 at 10:54
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 11:29
Personally I would give ratings only 0 weighting for the ranking. Very interesting posts, Lewian.

This is general comment and not referring back to your posts: I find it strange that an album with just six reviews and only two of those by collabs would rise that quickly, and do find the algorithm strange. It can be really confusing. Incidentally, the first two reviews were made by people who have only reviewed that album, and one of them has ranked every Morse album 5 stars.

The top 100 is not important to me either in that it does not reflect my tastes or value judgments well, but I also have an interest in stats despite being a mathematically challenged individual (something my maths loving wife teases me about).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 18:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Road of Bones staying high in the charts does not surprise me, John. It is a fine album.

It is a very fine album Steve I just thought all modern albums eventually slipped out of the top 100 but just looking at it now I see that's not always the case as there's a few from the 00's and Steven Wilson has a few up there and Opeth's Pale Communion is at #98 so my mistake.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 22:02
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Us Christians have voted en-masse to get Neal Morse's newie into the top 100 of all time! God bless, it's a miracle! Hallelujah!

But really, this sometimes happens when there's a lot of buzz around new albums that a lot of people are pretty excited about, it will likely slip down and vanish from the list over time, once the instant hype and freshness of it dwindle (and, you know, reality sets in....)

Yeah, it's kind of annoying when people seem to give an album five stars just because it's new and they are excited about it. Fanboy much? It happens much more than it should on here too.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 00:56
As a suggestion: if you preface the algorithm execution with an exception querying the release date of an album and, say, number of collab reviews and a general review count, that should fix it easily. 
 Post Reply Post Reply