Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Zorn's Alchemists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 07:17
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

My favorite Zorn albums are the following (In no specific order)

Radio
Chimeras
Mount Analogue
Simulacrum
The String Quartets
Astronome
IAO
The Alchemist
Songs Without Words
Hen To Pan
Fragments, Prayers and Interjections 
Grand Guignol
At the Mountains of Madness
Spillane
Angelus Novus
Guts of a Virgin
The Gift
Hermetic Organ (2 or 3, they're all amazing though)
Classic Guide to Strategy 
Anything from the original Masada band

I have started picking up a few of these.  So far, Mount Analogue is outstanding.  Parts of it remind me quite a bit of some of the more avant-garde output of Blue Note Records in the sixties, particularly the albums featuring Bobby Hutcherson on vibes / marimba and Joe Chambers on drums. The resemblance may be coincidental - or indeed exist only in my mind! - though I've no doubt Zorn is familiar with this oeuvre. But the piece as a whole seems entirely individual to me.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 09:58
What a fascinating career Clap 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 12:08
Some Zorn I love, some I hate, and there's a lot of in-between.  That's very rare for me.  I usually don't think that artists vacillate a lot in quality, and there's not a lot of music I hate in general, but definitely some Zorn I've hated.  I find Zorn a bit frustrating because of this.  If I were to dislike everything he does I could just ignore him, but I like some stuff enough that I feel a need to hunt for the gold in his work.  The sheer volume of stuff that he puts out makes this more frustrating.  Since I only strongly like a minority of his work, he reminds me of Buckethead in that, and I find myself thinking, "Man, try not releasing an album every week, so that you have more time to well-develop your material and achieve better consistency.  You can discard some of those ideas."  He's not quite as bad as Buckethead in this, at least.--Buckethead I just completely gave up on.  I'm not sifting through 500 "Pike" albums just to try to find a few good tunes.

The Big Gundown is probably my favorite album of his that I'm familiar with . . . some of the Naked City stuff is probably second, although sometimes the balance with Naked City is too far on the jokey grindcore stuff.  I don't mind a couple of those tracks, but too many of them just starts to seem like filler to me--so obviously the Torture Garden album wasn't that good of an idea in my opinion.  The bottom line with me is that I like quirky stuff--obviously as a prog fan I would, but ideally I still want tunes with some semblance of traditional push-pull techniques with melody, harmony, rhythmic patterns, sectional structures, some catchiness, etc.

At any rate, Zorn's almost always interesting from a conceptual angle, at least, but that's not sufficient for me to like something.

Edited by Terrapin Station - January 06 2017 at 12:13
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 14:31
Things I've been enjoying lately:

Filmworks I - 1986-1990
A Dreamers Christmas
Naked City Live, Volume 1 - Knitting Factory 1989 (This is the only Naked City album I can listen to, it's free of annoying vocals)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Some Zorn I love, some I hate, and there's a lot of in-between.  That's very rare for me.  I usually don't think that artists vacillate a lot in quality, and there's not a lot of music I hate in general, but definitely some Zorn I've hated.  I find Zorn a bit frustrating because of this.  If I were to dislike everything he does I could just ignore him, but I like some stuff enough that I feel a need to hunt for the gold in his work.  The sheer volume of stuff that he puts out makes this more frustrating.  Since I only strongly like a minority of his work, he reminds me of Buckethead in that, and I find myself thinking, "Man, try not releasing an album every week, so that you have more time to well-develop your material and achieve better consistency.  You can discard some of those ideas."  He's not quite as bad as Buckethead in this, at least.--Buckethead I just completely gave up on.  I'm not sifting through 500 "Pike" albums just to try to find a few good tunes.

The Big Gundown is probably my favorite album of his that I'm familiar with . . . some of the Naked City stuff is probably second, although sometimes the balance with Naked City is too far on the jokey grindcore stuff.  I don't mind a couple of those tracks, but too many of them just starts to seem like filler to me--so obviously the Torture Garden album wasn't that good of an idea in my opinion.  The bottom line with me is that I like quirky stuff--obviously as a prog fan I would, but ideally I still want tunes with some semblance of traditional push-pull techniques with melody, harmony, rhythmic patterns, sectional structures, some catchiness, etc.

At any rate, Zorn's almost always interesting from a conceptual angle, at least, but that's not sufficient for me to like something.

Sounds like you are not an alchemist then. Wink

Just some fun of course. I certainly don't blame anyone for not liking Zorn (in any facet really). Smile
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 16:59
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Things I've been enjoying lately:

Filmworks I - 1986-1990
A Dreamers Christmas
Naked City Live, Volume 1 - Knitting Factory 1989 (This is the only Naked City album I can listen to, it's free of annoying vocals)

Absinthe doesn't have annoying vocals either.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 17:00
Also, really starting to love the Simulacrum releases. Both The Painted Bird and 49 Acts... will be making my top 20 list from last year.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 17:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Also, really starting to love the Simulacrum releases. Both The Painted Bird and 49 Acts... will be making my top 20 list from last year.

I fell in love with the first Simulacrum when it came out, the Painted Bird and Inferno are also incredible. Great you like it!!! Big smile
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 17:07
I forgot to mention this album, which is another of my favorite Moonchild albums:

Aside from (the masterpiece) Astronome, you can't go wrong with this one. It's it's more song-structured and the vocals are text (aka lyrics). Astronome is still the shining achievement for me of the series though. 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 23:00

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 01:20

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 23:55
New Zorn you need to hear:

socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 14:50
I love most Zorn:  Masada, Electric Masada, Bar Kokhba, Cobra, Naked City, Locus Solus, The Big Gundown, Duras: Duchamp, Spy v Spy: The Music of Ornette Coleman, The String Quartets, Filmworks.  He's SO prolific that I haven't scratched the surface of his classical music or Filmworks, yet nearly everything I hear, I enjoy.

I  was lucky enough to see him a few times, since first running into him working the counter at Soho Music (everybody's got to start somewhere).  I saw the premiere of The Big Gundown at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.  Also, with Naked City and Masada at The Knitting Factory & doing solo and quartet improves with Fred Frith at The Kitchen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 14:56
Have you heard the Masada/Book of Angels?

A whole other world of his creative output, it's a lifestyle in itself (with quite a large religious and historical element)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 14:59
Also, with the classical area of his work, you can't go wrong with the Cartoon S/M CD. It's got string quartets, chamber orchestra and a genre hopping solo piano piece. Very different from his more spiritual/occult-charged current works (which are also mindblowing)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 05:12
New Zorn string trio:

....which appears on the new album called "There is no more Firmament":

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - April 27 2017 at 05:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12