Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you file bands that have "ownership names"?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you file bands that have "ownership names"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 04:55
I'm visually oriented and have a photographic memory. I simply put my records in alphabetical order on whatever the name is that is on the cover, and retrieve them by knowing in which part of the collection they are and the color of the 'spine'.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 19:54
Devin Townsend (solo), The Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project --> Devin Townsend
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 12:26
The way that I do it now is that I simply file everything except for "The" names by the first letters in the name.

So "Frank Zappa" goes under "F"

"Bill Bruford's Earthworks" goes under "B"

"A Silver Mt. Zion" goes under "A"

"Os Mutantes" goes under "O"

etc.

but "The Moody Blues" goes under "M"

The only reason I do that with "The" names is because (a) there are so many of them, (b) some bands have been inconsistent regarding whether they use "The" before their name, and (c) I often forget whether a particular band used "The" before their name or not.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 12:30
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Devin Townsend (solo), The Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project --> Devin Townsend

Yeah, there are some artists where I file everything like that under the individual's name.  And I even do that for stuff like the Mothers of Invention, where it was just credited to MoI.  In my opinion, the MoI were essentially the same as Frank Zappa solo with hired side musicians.

On the other hand, sometimes I'll make a separation.  For example, Adam and the Ants are a separate folder from Adam Ant solo in my collection.

With Todd Rundgren, I was originally filing all of the Utopia albums under Rundgren's name, too, but then I decided to separate them.  Utopia was more of a collaborative band.

I also used to file all Parliament and Funkadelic albums together (as "Parliament-Funkadelic"), along with the George Clinton solo albums, the Brides of Funkenstein album, etc., but I decided to separate them, too.

I'm pretty inconsistent about this.  It simply depends on the artist(s)/how I think about them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12