Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeresy - eclectic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heresy - eclectic?
    Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:33
Heresy formed in the 70s, put out indie albums in 1985 and 1989, and just put out a new album. Based on the U.S. The new (December 2016) album is Prufrock, containing a 40+ minute 16-song adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", plus bonus tracks, largely from the 1985 release previously only available on vinyl.

Bio from their web site:

"Who is Heresy?

Well, first, who we're not.

We're not the British punk rock band from the 80s. Or any of a number of other bands that have apparently used the name over the years. This Heresy is an American progressive rock band, who started playing New York clubs in the 70s, released two albums in the 80s, and is now back together, playing shows and releasing new material. Some of our shows are all original, and some include covers of the likes of Jethro Tull, ELP, The Who, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Cream, Bowie, Beatles and the Moody Blues. If you listen hard enough, you can probably hear influences of all those groups in our own material, though (hopefully!) we don't sound quite like any of them."

Besides the bands listed there, I think you can also hear hints of Strawbs, VDGG, Ambrosia, Renaissance, Nektar. Even some gentle giant-ish-ness in the vocal harmonies. Depends on the song.

Discography in reverse chronological order:

2016: Prufrock (23 tracks)
Streamable on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/album/1cqaJqnCpxR3PWKf1u5MHx

(Note that the first 16 songs comprise a single lyrical work and are intended to be listened to in that sequence. It starts kind of prog-folky and then grows in intensity.)

1989: A Far Cry (19 tracks)
Streamable on Spotify at https://play.spotify.com/album/1Z6QAShJcLXAzWZVUGBigy

(There are some non-prog songs, you might want to skip tracks 2, 4, 9, 16... and some others are borderline... but most have significant prog elements)

1985: At The Door (10 tracks)
vinyl only, not streamable, though 6 of its 10 songs are now also on the 2016 Prufrock release

web site: www.heresy.rocks
anotherscott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:28
p.s. - there's a lot of songs there, so narrowing down to a good amount of proggy stuff that still shows the range, I came up with this...

PRUFROCK album, tracks 7 through 10, 13-14, 16, 19-21

and

A FAR CRY album, tracks 1, 3, 6-7, 10-12, 18

Edited by anotherscott - December 11 2016 at 16:43
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 21:47
Rare live Heresy footage circa 1990:

"Raw audience footage, audio from camera. 

Six songs:
0:00 Charge of the Life Brigade (from 1989 CD "A Far Cry")
4:13 My Garden (from "A Far Cry")
7:26 Chalkin' It Up (from "A Far Cry")
11:08 At the Door (from 1985 LP "At the Door")
16:37 Where I Should Be (from "A Far Cry")
20:11 Love Sleep (from "At the Door")

Both albums have newly been made available on Amazon. "A Far Cry" is also available as digital download, and can also be heard on Spotify. Most of the songs in this video fall into the progressive rock category, though Chalkin' It Up is more of a straight rocker and Where I Should Be a ballad."
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 11:18
Here's a new Heresy video. I've never done this before and am not sure it is appropriate/helpful to add more info to existing requests here, so let me know if this goes against protocol or anything...

EDITED: Removed this preview video so there won't be too many videos on this page, and this one has basically been superseded by the later full version which I'll post further down. Though if you are specifically looking to find this one again, it's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSn9akFXC0

Edited by anotherscott - January 17 2017 at 12:19
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 13:39
^  Well I've added more stuff to existing threads loads of times and never yet had a rap on the knuckles from the admins for doing it. Extra samples that can be easily played from within the thread are always useful to my mind, and the only comments I have ever seen which have frowned on the practice have applied to instances where a whole load of YouTube videos have been embedded in a suggestion thread (and yeah, I've been guilty of this myself too on more than one occasion Embarrassed) - the reason being that this makes the page take ages to load for people with a slow internet connection. Better to just give them as clickable hyperlinks that open up the YouTube page in another tab (or window) - or a playlist if one is available - if you've got a lot of tubes to add to a thread, but one or two fully embedded ones as we currently have here certainly ain't gonna hurt (imho).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 18:21
Yeah, don't worry about adding more samples. In fact, the more samples that you provide for us, the better informed us collaborators are when making our decisions. Thumbs Up 

As yam yam said, though, it's probably a good idea to link them as hyperlinks rather than embedding, just to be considerate of those with slow internet. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 09:43
Cool. Okay, then here's a link to another youtube video. Note that it has TWO songs in it (i.e. it fades to black, and then at about 3:40, a second song begins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSnpNvOdvU

EDIT: Note that this has essentially been superseded by the complete 40 minute video now posted below.

Edited by anotherscott - January 17 2017 at 12:27
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:49
Primary band personnel, all albums:

- Tony Garone, Lead vocal, guitars (mostly acoustic)
- Scott Harris, keys
- John Sergio, bass
- Chris Camillieri, drums

They have employed a number of lead guitarists on each of the albums. The main guitarists (i.e. the ones who played on the most tracks, and who also played with them live) have been:

- Ed Clark (first album)
- Dave Kaelin (second album)
- Joaquin Lievano (third album). Joaquin Lievano already has a presence on progarchives as the guitarist on numerous Jean-Luc Ponty albums, including Cosmic Messenger. (He is also the guitarist seen in the third album videos posted above.)

Steve Vai also played on a couple of songs on the first album (vinyl), which also appear as bonus tracks on the third album (CD).

There have also been other guest players. On the new album, although Chris Camillieri is the drummer for most of the album, Jason Brower is the drummer on 1 1/2 songs... the half song can be seen in the "Chambers of the Sea" video above... Jason Brower is the drummer heard and seen for the first half of the song, Chris Camillieri is the drummer heard and seen for the back half. Both have played live shows with Heresy. (Jason Brower also has a progarchives presence with Shadow Circus.)

Edited by anotherscott - January 07 2017 at 15:40
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 12:26
Here's the video for the new album. It includes 15 of the 23 songs, and as the words are a single continuous poem, it is presented here as a single 40 minute work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI

The album is also on Amazon with a couple of very nice reviews
http://amzn.to/2hcki7n

and it's on iTunes

Edited by anotherscott - January 17 2017 at 12:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 20:12
Thank you for posting those tracks on youtube. After listening through, my thoughts are leaning towards crossover being more appropriate, given the highly melodic nature of the music, and the prominent pop sensibilities being mixed in with some of the symphonic elements. 

I won't suggest to move them to crossover just yet, though; I'll wait for some of my other teammates to weigh in with their thoughts first. 

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - January 18 2017 at 20:13
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 12:28
Classifying is always tricky!

Some new info... A few songs from the new album are on the playlist of this week's Dutch prog program at http://xymphonia.aafm.nl/latest.html where they also posted about the band and the album, including (translated) "Heresy is melodic, accessible symphonic rock with a slight folk rock influence." So I guess that's at least one more opinion about what they sound like!

(That link is always for the current show, but for people seeing this in the future, you'll be able to check the Archive section for Sunday 05 Februari 2017 Show No. 1235.)

(I know Heresy has also been played on some prog college radio and internet stream programs, I could name some, but I don't know if that's relevant?)

Edited by anotherscott - February 05 2017 at 12:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 13:19
Thanks for the extra info. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by anotherscott anotherscott wrote:

"Heresy is melodic, accessible symphonic rock with a slight folk rock influence."

I think that that's an accurate description of the band's sound. With that in mind, we've moved Heresy over to crossover, where they are now cleared
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 13:38
Cool, thanks!
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 19:03
Heresy added here - just waiting for Scott to provide me with some information on the early two albums
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:24
Hi
I listened to Heresy 14-15 times during 2 weeks. They are Prog and I'm sure about it. They are not Symphonic (Prog even Rock)! and I'm sure about it too. IMO they are closest to Xover than Eclectic. 

Honestly , I enjoy from start to end of album and I found many "Known" and nostalgic moments in their music . Its remind me Pink Floyd , E.L.O , Queen and more.  
 Post Reply Post Reply