FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn and Out of the Top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 06:26
so yeah.. obviously the top 100 is HEAVILY english... which a comprehensive quality driven list would fix quickly thus kicking out not only the stain that is SWILSON on the top 100 but a great many other albums from popular 'classic' artists that are functions more of nostalgia than actually weighing the albums content against other albums.

but glaring omissions in the top 100 .. let's see what the list has... it has been years since I've looked at it.

104-105 Uzed and Eros
-  easily top 100 and would be if not for the legion of 5 star wielding SWilson fans who would slap 5 stars on an album of him burping and farting LOL

113 - Third - Soft Machine - mentioning this since it was discussed above... agree with the above thoughts.  Good album, even great album but album 200 is a great album  but sitting just where it probably should be. Outside of the top 100.  Soft Machine became something less with this album, not more. They regressed into a simply fusiony band rather than the unique beast it was before. Enough to keep it outside of a list of 100 truly great 'prog' albums.

122 - YS - Balletto di Bronzo -  biggest omission. A top 20, perhaps even top 10'r.  It is hands down and without debate the greatest keyboard prog ever made, and a large contingent of proggers outside of the fishbowl of this site consider this one of the best prog albums ever made. SEVERELY underanked here....

125 - Palepoli - Osanna
- as I often say... if this had been an English album..  it would be a top 10'r. Compare this to Godbluff... it smokes it on all levels. Lyrically, vocally, and especially musically.

really? 160 - Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues - what more can you ask. Musical perfection, incredible historical import.  Top 25 album no doubt...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 09:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

The site has not done anything.

Smile I wouldn't go that far. What I have always said it has been of a missed opportunity.

The list is a glorified popularity contest. What this site has,  granted it once had a lot more that time and attrition drained away, are a lot of very knowledgeable people who just don't listen to music but can fairly evaluate it.

I had long, since teh early days of the site, advocated scraping that list, along with my primary goal, and zapping out the cursed 'ratings' with reviews and having the site craft a list of truly great and worthy albums, not flavor of the month favorites who through ratings manipulation and mass fanboyism.

Education Tim.  The site has long had one foot in the door in educating the user. I thought a list hammered out and compiled by the site would be a real boon to the site and the lack of it a real missed opportunity.
Your constant negativity towards other peoples' opinions is tiresome and if the site has gone so far downhill since the "glory days".Why do you still show up? 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 09:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I don't dislike `Road of Bones' to the extent that Micky and Freak do, nor do I think it deserves to be in the Top 100, but there's one thing I always think about when that album is brought up...Dave Guldbamsen once mentioned that he feels the band has essentially been sticking to the formula and re-making their album `Ever'...well, ever since they released it ('93 if I recall)! Pretty much nails it in my opinion.

I tend to agree with you that Bones doesn't need to be ranked that high or even in the top 100..but  people tend to dismiss neo prog far too much. While Road of Bones is  basically rewriting their old material both Dark Matter and Frequency are excellent imho.
If people don't like neo prog that's fine....and I'm not a big fan of RPI like a few fanatics here, but that's what makes this place interesting; the mix of interests and prog styles.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 10:49
A lot of people posting/discussing albums that have always been either in or out, which is fine, but I was wanting to focus on albums that have crossed that 100 line at least once.  Especially interesting to me are the "tug-of-war" albums that have crossed several times.    

I suppose I should have just posted a simple list of the albums I know have been in-out or out-in, and/or suggested other do the same, and people would have naturally commented on what they think....

Actually, I'll just do it now to re-tool the discussion a little bit: in summary, here are the "tug-of-war" albums I've noticed the most (ones I remember being in and out more than once, or just moving a lot over the last 8 or so years). I won't repeat my opinion of their in/out worthiness, (already did that above).

Santana - Caravanserai
Kansas - Leftoverture
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
Birds And Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth
Return To Forever - Romantic Warriors
Soft Machine - Third
Bubu - Anabelas 
Emerson Lake And Palmer - (original album)

I think most of these may still be in a state of yo-yo-ness, except the last two, which appear to have solidified above 100.  

Some others that I put in the starting post may have yo-yoed a bit too, but I only recall them crossing 100 once.

I know there are probably plenty more. Post what you remember.

Edited by zwordser - December 21 2016 at 11:08
Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 13:17

Smile I wouldn't go that far. What I have always said it has been of a missed opportunity.

The list is a glorified popularity contest. What this site has,  granted it once had a lot more that time and attrition drained away, are a lot of very knowledgeable people who just don't listen to music but can fairly evaluate it.

I had long, since teh early days of the site, advocated scraping that list, along with my primary goal, and zapping out the cursed 'ratings' with reviews and having the site craft a list of truly great and worthy albums, not flavor of the month favorites who through ratings manipulation and mass fanboyism.

Education Tim.  The site has long had one foot in the door in educating the user. I thought a list hammered out and compiled by the site would be a real boon to the site and the lack of it a real missed opportunity.
Your constant negativity towards other peoples' opinions is tiresome and if the site has gone so far downhill since the "glory days".Why do you still show up? 

I'd suggest you ignore me than Wink

As far as why I stick around Tim, obviously it isn't for the music, it is for the people here.  Most it seems have realized what you haven't.  I push buttons not out of malice, I don't give a sh*t what people like or don't like,  it is to stimulate conversation. To wear the black hat of devil's advocate. In this case it is towards something I've been interested in. A list of great prog albums, not merely popular ones.  There is a sustinct and distinct difference between the two. The smart ones know that, the humorous or those with sticks up their asses fail to see it. Which simply.. isn't my problem so ignore my 'negativity' if it makes your forum experiences better Tim. Smile
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 14:07
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Santana - Caravanserai - Yeah, I'm content with this one in the top 100. A fantastic (very fantastic) jazz fusion record. 

Kansas - Leftoverture  - This is a solid rock album with proggy moments, but I wouldn't consider it for a prog top 100. 

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime - Haven't heard this one; no comment.

Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte - This one deserves it. A truly fantastic symphonic release.

Birds And Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth - Definitely! Sure, the production's pretty rough, but it's one of the most creative, brilliantly composed albums to come out in a very long time.

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior - Oh yeah! Not only is this a fusion classic by a band of virtuosos, but it wonderfully combines the jazz rock energy with prog sophistication in tracks like Medieval Overture or The Magician. A fusion of prog and jazz in the truest sense of the word. 

Soft Machine - Third - I haven't actually heard this one, but it's cited as essential Canterbury by so many that I figure it at least deserves a historical mention. 

Bubu - Anabelas Just top 100? This deserves to be in the top one, man! At least, for me personally, anyways. LOL

Emerson Lake And Palmer - (original album) - Yes! Even if I'm not a huge ELP fan, I can acknowledge that this debut album of their's was such a huge breakthrough in prog. This was the keyboard album back when it came out, and it's aged so much more gracefully than all the other ELP material.

Great idea for a topic. Of the ones that you've identified as yo-yo-ers, I've included my thoughts.

Another one that I've noticed bounce in and out of the top 100 within the past year or so that hasn't been mentioned is 1000 Autunni by Ske. 

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - December 21 2016 at 14:07
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 09:06

I'd suggest you ignore me than Wink

As far as why I stick around Tim, obviously it isn't for the music, it is for the people here.  Most it seems have realized what you haven't.  I push buttons not out of malice, I don't give a sh*t what people like or don't like,  it is to stimulate conversation. To wear the black hat of devil's advocate. In this case it is towards something I've been interested in. A list of great prog albums, not merely popular ones.  There is a sustinct and distinct difference between the two. The smart ones know that, the humorous or those with sticks up their asses fail to see it. Which simply.. isn't my problem so ignore my 'negativity' if it makes your forum experiences better Tim. Smile
Now I see, thanks for explaining.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:31

Another one that I've noticed bounce in and out of the top 100 within the past year or so that hasn't been mentioned is 1000 Autunni by Ske. 

Haven't heard it, but must be good.

another 2 I failed to mention are Sing to God and A Little Man And a House And The Whole World Window by The Cardiacs. The former was in years ago, then out for years, but has recently gotten back in (at #96 today). The latter I think came in for a while while Sing to God was out But has been out for a long time.

I Haven't heard these albums for a long time and don't have an opinion about how good they are, but I really like Fiery Gun Hand from StG.

Edited by zwordser - January 14 2017 at 08:12
Z
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:40

Haven't heard it, but must be good.

It is very good, though not in my personal Top 100. Though you could say that about most of the PA Top 100, to be fair.   
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 06:37
I remember at some point having seen two Can albums in the top 100 and at another point two of the Cardiacs. Currently both have none, for quite a while. Pity!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I remember at some point having seen two Can albums in the top 100 and at another point two of the Cardiacs. Currently both have none, for quite a while. Pity!

No, Cardiacs do (did you not read my post above?) S.T.G. still sitting at 96 today.

I only vaguely remember a Can album being in.

Edited by zwordser - January 09 2017 at 18:11
Z
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:36

No, Cardiacs do (did you not read my post above?) S.T.G. still sitting at 96 today.

I have new glasses today. Must have had to do with that. Geek
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:09

I have new glasses today. Must have had to do with that. Geek
Its also possible that my prose is a little thicker than your glasses!
Z
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 14:01
Miles Davis is amazing but should be listed under "JAZZ."
Opeth is amazing but should be listed under "METAL."

Only one ELP album in the Top 100? (Credibilty gone!)
No Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Karmakanic, Moon Safari or Transatlantic?

I remember Neal Morse ? popping into the Top 100 (It now sits at #140.) Gotta make room for more Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson...
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 20:26
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I remember Neal Morse ? popping into the Top 100 (It now sits at #140.) Gotta make room for more Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson...

I only ever remember ? being just below 100, but you are probably right that it popped in at some point.
Z
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 14:31
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great idea for a thread as I, too, have watched the 60-140 range with similar consternation and frustration over about the same length of time (joined in January or '08). Here's my input:

<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Currently in the top 100:
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Emerson Lake and Palmer - (original album) (#68). Yes should be in. A definite iconic classic that deserves recognition despite its weak points and wear over time.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Bubu - Anabelas (#81).  On the fence here. I appreciate this album but it has never won me over.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (#85) Okay. A great classic album that had a lot to do with moving progressive rock forward. Deserves recognition.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte (#87).  No. Nice album but not one of the iconic albums of progressive rock, IMHO.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Romantic Warrior - Return To Forever (#88). Yes.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Bantam To Behemoth - Birds And Building (#90). No way. One of the poorest sounding albums of the 21st Century (This album came out in the 21st Century?!?!? No way!) Pure regurgitation of old ideas and sounds.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Kansas - Leftoverture (#97). No. Never liked this album when it came out, my opinion has never changed. (And I have given their music a full reconsideration in the past five years.) Kansas music is inaccessible and boring.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (#95). No, Shouldn't be in. Great performances and constructions but nothing that makes me want to come back.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Santana - Caravanserai (#98).  YES! Higher! Beautiful music with great performances and not a bad song on the album.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Currently NOT in the top 100:<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">maudlin of the Well - Part the Second (#101) Yes, this should be in. One of the best representations of the modern progress of progressive rock music.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Univers Zero - Uzed (#104). Yes. Ground breaking and timeless.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">SBB - Memento Banalym Z Tryptykiem (#107) Yes, though I can see why it might land just above 100. Similar to reasons of Soft Machine Third.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (#110) Who? (no.)<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">The Soft Machine - Third (#111) No. A great if inconsistent and choppy (double) album that really isn't as iconic as people give credit. <div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Nucleus - We'll Talk About it Later (#112) Perhaps. An incredible album that nobody has ever heard or heard of (even in back the day).<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Devin Townsend - Terria (#117) No, belongs lower.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Eloy - Ocean (#118) No. Eloy music has never impressed me much (though I own six or seven of their albums) except as derivative.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (#121). Yes, should be in top 100. Another shining example of the best of what the 21st Century has produced.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> <div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Le Orme - Uomo Di Pezza (#123). Nope.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Big Big Train - English Electric Part I (#124). Ok, probably not quite top 100 material, but still like to see this a little higher.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Peter Gabriel - Melt (#126) Ok where it is; pretty sure this was above 100 a few years ago.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Henry Cow - Western Culture (#129) ditto the comment above (though I do think it deserves more credit/recognition).<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
Ayreon - The Human Equation (#133) Well placed where it is. Was in top 100 maybe 3-4 years ago.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Haken - The Mountain (#152) Fine where it is. To me, Haken music is proficient and dynamic but, ultimately, unmemorable.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Discipline - To Shatter All Accord (#148) Good where it is.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Albums of my own addition:<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra (#58) I don't get it! It was criticized at the time of its release and it's not even very good!<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">IQ - The Road of Bones (#63) This one makes me recoil in revulsion and shame--to think that so-called music lovers and experts consider this album (is it one or two albums?!?!?) of soul-less rehashing of retro-sound one of the greatest albums of all-time much less the best album of a year in which hundreds of albums were released makes me embarrassed to call myself a prog rock lover.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Edge of Sanity - Crimson (#92) Wow! and OMG! One of the single worst listening experiences I've ever had. For the second and third listens through I actually wrote down all of the dozens of 1970s and 80s "hairbands" that each two-minute section of this album shamelessly replicates. Amazing that people can even like this. Maybe cuz I'm from North America (where most of the bands copied were from). I don't know.<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">This was fun.
Eloy was so unimpressive that you bought 6 or 7 of their albums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 09:01
Just checking where things are at lately

A couple more tug-of-war albums I didn't originally mention:

Santana's Abraxas and Hiromi's Sonicboom Time Control have popped back into the 100, I think after being out for a while. No opinion on Abraxas, but I've never heard Time Control.   Any comments?

Edited by zwordser - March 03 2017 at 09:23
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12