Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSynaesthesia. Does it really exist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synaesthesia. Does it really exist?
    Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:27
No, not the band. A condition of when a person has visual experiences when hearing sounds or music, and vise versa. I've only heard a few in my lifetime refer to this condition when listening to music. One being a former PA admin. So, does Synaesthesia really happen to some people?

syn·es·the·sia

also syn·aes·the·sia  (sĭn′ĭs-thē′zhə)
n.
1. condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a soundproduces the visualization of a color.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 15:55
Yes, it does exist. But it does not necessarily happen on hearing music. A well-known example is Daniel Tammet, the guy who could tell 22514 decimals of π correctly. He has visual experiences with numbers (and that is the reason why he came that far, as he told in his book Born on a Blue Day). Other people have such experiences with letters. I know a woman who associates colours with letters. When she said that a K was blue to her, I asked her if she had synaesthesia, on which she answered positively.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 19:23
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Yes, it does exist. But it does not necessarily happen on hearing music. A well-known example is Daniel Tammet, the guy who could tell 22514 decimals of π correctly. He has visual experiences with numbers (and that is the reason why he came that far, as he told in his book Born on a Blue Day). Other people have such experiences with letters. I know a woman who associates colours with letters. When she said that a K was blue to her, I asked her if she had synaesthesia, on which she answered positively.

Yep, I've got the same thing but with numbers and colours.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply