Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [79.07%]
3 [6.98%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 08:41
1970s! I'm showing off my new brain to my sock drawer.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 09:07
Another vote for the 1970's. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 09:30
The first vote for the 2000's.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 22:56
There is now Juno to Jupiter to add on. A bit of a RIP thread sadly. Vangelis didn't score the Blade Runner sequel but it turned out to be a superb film nevertheless under the sure footed guidance of Denis Villeneuve

Edited by richardh - October 06 2023 at 22:57
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 23:32
Hi,

ALL OF IT.

(... there's no option for that one, though!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 02:55

666  Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 02:57
1970 res by miles ( Earth is my fav)
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 02:21
Every era of Vangelis was great. I voted for the 1980s due to Blade Runner's film music, which is his finest hour regarding his film music opus, and due to "See You Later," which is my personal favourite studio album by Vangelis. It's an underrated Vangelis album, maybe due to the fact that it was never released in the United States.

Edited by Lumenko - December 31 2023 at 02:53
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 05:46
My favourite Vangelis works are the two collaborations he did with Irene Papas - 'Odes' (1979), and 'Rapsodies' (1986). Irene's theatrical/operatic style vocals gives the stunning music of Vangelis oomph and passion like no-one else could.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 10:01
1970 ies Earth is my top 1
the rest is elevator stuff
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 19:15
Originally posted by Lumenko Lumenko wrote:

Every era of Vangelis was great. I voted for the 1980s due to Blade Runner's film music, which is his finest hour regarding his film music opus, and due to "See You Later," which is my personal favourite studio album by Vangelis. It's an underrated Vangelis album, maybe due to the fact that it was never released in the United States.

I enjoy that album a lot but it maybe doesn't always go down that well with those who expect a certain style from Vangelis. This has a more modern 'post punk' approach but I love Multi Track Suggestion (with Vangelis vocals!) and the title track ft Jon Anderson. Memories Of Green made it's way onto the Blade Runner s/t. 
80's was a sold decade for Vangelis. Mask is a masterpeice as is Soil Festivities. Direct was almost an out and out prog album and also a masterpeice. Then there is the wonderful Antarctica. It's all pretty brilliant. I remember even J M Jarre commenting how much he liked Vangelis music at the time (around 1985). Praise from your peers is always a big thing.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 19:18
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

My favourite Vangelis works are the two collaborations he did with Irene Papas - 'Odes' (1979), and 'Rapsodies' (1986). Irene's theatrical/operatic style vocals gives the stunning music of Vangelis oomph and passion like no-one else could.

Yep both are great and sold very well in Greece drawing upon traditional Greek folk music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123