Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butch Trucks RIP
    Posted: January 25 2017 at 08:36
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 08:49
Oh no! Cry

This news is saddening not only because of his fantastic work in the 60's and 70's where he and Jaimoe defined and perfected the double drummer dynamic, but because he was still so active in Southern Rock and jam band music right up until he passed. 

It'll be sad to see Roots Rock Revival come to end, as well. Hopefully someone else will be able to step up and continue on that legacy.

RIP Butch. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:10
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:15
Now, there's a drummer.
The whole family is very musical. His son and daughter-in-law are very active and talented aswell (Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi)....

I've listened to a sh*tload of Allman Brothers in my life. And the two-drummers-and-a-percussionist approach was unrivalled....

SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 18:10
I'm sure a number of progressive rock fans have listened to Allman Brothers for their great songs, musicianship and improvisation skills aka jamming that was never boring

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks killed himself in front of his wife, police reports released Wednesday show.

The 69-year-old Trucks shot himself in the head Jan. 27 at his home, the West Palm Beach police reports show.

Trucks was one of two original drummers, along with Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson, who helped formed the rhythms and the drive for The Allman Brothers. Formed in 1969 and led by Duane and Gregg Allman, the group helped define the Southern rock sound that incorporated blues, rock, country and jazz.

Originally from Jacksonville, Florida, Trucks joined with the Allman siblings to form the band, including guitarist Dickey Betts and bassist Berry Oakley. They moved to Macon, Georgia, to cut their first record with Capricorn Records.

The two drummers melded their individual styles, with Trucks considered to be the straightforward, driving train rhythm player, while Johanson added his R&B and jazz drumming influences.

The band's 1971 live album, "At Fillmore East," became their seminal breakthrough album, featuring a fusion of jazz, blues and rock. It featured songs like "You Don't Love Me" and a 22-minute version of "Whipping Post."

Trucks also helped encourage a family lineage of musicians. One nephew, Derek Trucks, is the frontman of the Tedeschi Trucks Band and also joined The Allman Brothers band in 1999 as a guitarist. Another nephew, Duane Trucks, is the drummer for Widespread Panic.

Trucks was most recently touring with his band, Butch Trucks and the Freight Train.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:39
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks killed himself in front of his wife, police reports released Wednesday show.

The 69-year-old Trucks shot himself in the head Jan. 27 at his home, the West Palm Beach police reports show.

Stern Smile 

Well that was a gruesome twist that I certainly didn't expect. He had seemed very satisfied and fulfilled with all his musical projects in the past few years; really makes you wonder how it came to such a tragic end.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply