Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Could Megadeth's 'Holy Wars' be considered prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCould Megadeth's 'Holy Wars' be considered prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could Megadeth's 'Holy Wars' be considered prog?
    Posted: February 07 2017 at 06:10
By prog I mean prog metal. It has a complex song structure, imo.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 06:38
An unusual structure (for Thrash Metal) maybe, but not what you'd really call complex.

One of my favourite tracks from Dave 'Metal' Mustaine but I'd never call it Prog Metal.
What?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 06:56
I would not consider it prog metal. Good song though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 15:06
To me, at least Rust In Peace, could qualify as a Prog-Related album. I love this album to bits. No other Megadeth album (that I've heard) is quite up there with this. They're technical enough, and I find them more complex than Metallica.
Also, on the recent Anthrax release, they've embraced Prog Metal (of sorts) with the epic opener You Gotta Believe.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 15:15
No.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 01:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Also, on the recent Anthrax release, they've embraced Prog Metal (of sorts) with the epic opener You Gotta Believe.

Not to mention Suzerain, where the main riff sounds straight out of a Meshuggah album. Big smile

As far as Holy Wars, it's definitely technical thrash metal. Whether it's prog or not is up to the listener.

Edited by Pastmaster - February 08 2017 at 01:55
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 02:48
^ You got that too !! Suzerain blew me out. Soon as it kicked in I thought Meshuggah !!
Actually, the whole album is pretty strong. Love Bello's bass playing and Benante is up there with the best !!

I'm glad Mustaine formed Megadeth. Better than Metallica.

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 08 2017 at 02:55
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 06:14
I'd consider it prog because of the lack of sloppy transitions between tempos that I know from most speed metal. Don't get me wrong, Slayer rocks, but I find their transitions to be too abrupt. The length of the song and the complexity of the riffs are something to be commended.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 07:40
Spooky...I just listened to this track this morning for the first time in many years, and then this showed up in my FB feed.

One of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time, but prog-metal it ain't.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 08:00
A lot of thrashmetal (and deathmetal) is insanely complex. A lot of the material of Forbidden, Dark Angel, Morbid Angel, Annihilator (especially 1989-1992) is more complex than any prog at that day and age.

I love listening to thrash and death from that period. Thumbs Up
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 11:26
^I love all of those bands you mentioned. Morbid Angel's "Covenant" is one of my favorite albums.

Dark Angel is an amazing band, and Gene Hoglan is a beast on drums. I believe they've actually reformed, hope they put out some new material in the coming future.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 11:40
I've a copy of the Morbid Angel slime pack edition of Domination somewhere... terrible packaging but a terrific death metal album, that ain't Prog Metal either.
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 11:52
I'm certainly no expert on prog metal...one of my least favorite categories of music...but to my ears  it's  as proggy as Metallica or Iron Maiden who are both listed on PA. A friend just recently made some Maiden cd's for me and I simply don't get why they are considered prog .
This track, Holy Wars, which I'm relistening to right now is as proggy as anything from the 4 cd's of Maiden that he burned for me.
So.....what's the deal , can someone explain these prog subtleties to me? 
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 12:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm certainly no expert on prog metal...one of my least favorite categories of music...but to my ears  it's  as proggy as Metallica or Iron Maiden who are both listed on PA. A friend just recently made some Maiden cd's for me and I simply don't get why they are considered prog .
This track, Holy Wars, which I'm relistening to right now is as proggy as anything from the 4 cd's of Maiden that he burned for me.
Confused
I could Doug, and it's fair to say I've explained it so often I could probably do it in my sleep, but frankly I feel that it would be waste of time, so rather than explain it I'll simply say "Prog Related is not Prog." and leave it at that. Stern Smile
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 12:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Confused
I could Doug, and it's fair to say I've explained it so often I could probably do it in my sleep, but frankly I feel that it would be waste of time, so rather than explain it I'll simply say "Prog Related is not Prog." and leave it at that. Stern Smile

Well thanks for that anyway......I get the prog related thing ..sometimes...yet the OP didn't phrase his title that way but just said prog.
Again to my ears they all sound about the same....Embarrassed...and not much prog at that.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 00:29
I often consider music that is technically demanding and complex, as Prog, but it's quite different in the world of Metal. Although the 'Big Four' could be considered as PR.........I mean, Metallica over Megadeth ?? At least Mustaine virtually re-built 'his' band album to album, so they're often radically different to each other.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 01:38
Essentially there's the term progmetal (Dream Theater and Queensryche clones mostly) and progressive metal.

A lot of Thrash, Death and Black metal is very progressive metal.
On the other hand these genres can be very conservative, not pushing the boundaries anymore, but staying 'true' to the Original sound.

I think every genre (reggae, synthpop, rapmetal, drum&bass etc.) have had its progressive period, where it was big and fresh and young and new and pushing the boundaries. But when time passes, bands get trapped in their own labels.

Just like Yes, Genesis etc. not being progressive anymore but paint-by-numbers radiofriendly classic rock.

Did you know Forbidden (or Testament, can't remember) covered 20th Century Schizoid Man...
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 13:30
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Essentially there's the term progmetal (Dream Theater and Queensryche clones mostly) and progressive metal.

A lot of Thrash, Death and Black metal is very progressive metal.
On the other hand these genres can be very conservative, not pushing the boundaries anymore, but staying 'true' to the Original sound.

I think every genre (reggae, synthpop, rapmetal, drum&bass etc.) have had its progressive period, where it was big and fresh and young and new and pushing the boundaries. But when time passes, bands get trapped in their own labels.

Just like Yes, Genesis etc. not being progressive anymore but paint-by-numbers radiofriendly classic rock.

Did you know Forbidden (or Testament, can't remember) covered 20th Century Schizoid Man...
dragonforce is a good prog metal band that isn't a dream theatre clone
 Post Reply Post Reply