Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blue Öyster Cult New York Broadcast, February 1977
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlue Öyster Cult New York Broadcast, February 1977

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Öyster Cult New York Broadcast, February 1977
    Posted: February 08 2017 at 05:57
Exactly forty years ago in February 1977 I bought BLUE ÖYSTER CULT, their debut album.
I had´t heard anything as good "heavy rock" since the early days, such as Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath.

They style was more psychedelic and I instantly became a fan.  And now I got a live recording released on CD, from February the 4th, 1977 a New York Broadcast. Despite its a rather muddy sound quality, this is another great performance from one of the best live bands of rock.
It contains excellent and most importantly slightly different versions of "ME 262"/"Dominance and Submission", "Astronomy", "Then Came the Last Days of May", and "Buck´s Boogie". BÖC centers on Buck Dharma and his playing is superb (as always) and he plays very fast riffs (like Steve Morse´s) on his significant tune & sound, "Buck´s Boogie". This is much much better than quite dull "Some Enchanted Evening", it´s really a pity the sound is not the highest quality.

Hey they are again, the amazing BLUE ÖYSTER CULT ! Man, what a great revisit to the glory days gone by :)

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - February 08 2017 at 12:58
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 12:15
Is this a new live release...or..?
I saw them in Chicago when they opened up for Jeff Beck in the early 70's, in the late 80's near where I lived,  and then many years later near my home town in northwest Indiana about 3 years ago. Always enjoyed their music.
Tony Banks...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 12:28
 Confused Tony Banks? I think it's his signature, Doc. 

BOC was a very cool NYC cult band, from Long Island actually, before they hit the big time with Don't Fear The Reaper. Now they're better known for "More Cowbell!" LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 05:09
Maybe if people checked the live Veteran Of The Psychic Wars and any version of Astronomy then minds might be blown. The cowbell thing is so simple (not just its performance but grip on the public imagination) the great unwashed focus on that only. That and Reaper. Maybe Godzilla. Probably doesn't help that there's footage of Bloom San and Buck (I think) playing cowbell to kitchen staff in a hotel somewhere.

I've a few BOC boots. Recommended is a thing called Live In The West an alternative to On Your Feet Or On Your Knees and made just for the band's ears only. Alas, it leaked to people such as me. Great sound and content.

I don't have this Feb 77 broadcast but have a Detroit one from a few months later. We're quite lucky with BOC FM recordings - there are quite a few.

Terrific concert performers, mainly excellent albums and a fair few iconic songs. One of the first hard rock bands to not employ blue scales while everyone else did.
Swandezvous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 14:07
Wish I had gone to see them when they played at my local county Fair a few years ago.
Heino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 13:15
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Maybe if people checked the live Veteran Of The Psychic Wars and any version of Astronomy then minds might be blown. The cowbell thing is so simple (not just its performance but grip on the public imagination) the great unwashed focus on that only. That and Reaper. Maybe Godzilla. Probably doesn't help that there's footage of Bloom San and Buck (I think) playing cowbell to kitchen staff in a hotel somewhere.

I've a few BOC boots. Recommended is a thing called Live In The West an alternative to On Your Feet Or On Your Knees and made just for the band's ears only. Alas, it leaked to people such as me. Great sound and content.

I don't have this Feb 77 broadcast but have a Detroit one from a few months later. We're quite lucky with BOC FM recordings - there are quite a few.

Terrific concert performers, mainly excellent albums and a fair few iconic songs. One of the first hard rock bands to not employ blue scales while everyone else did.

Blue Öyster Cult in the West is a superb live bootleg from their prime (1974-75) despite its a bit low sound quality. I don´t have that Detroit recording but have this one: Live in 1972-76. It contains the best live version of Astronomy I have heard, much better than on Enchanted in 1978. There´s also an excellent Morning Final, probably the only one live version of this great Joe Bouchard tune.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 13:43
I saw the Black and Blue Tour with Sabbath and BOC. Buck Dharma drove out on stage on a Harley. Good times!

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 14:54
I saw them in '83 and they were still stupendous!  Veteran of the Psychic Wars was a knock-out....and even the material from the brand new Revolution by Night was played with great passion.  One of my faves, they remain.....
 Post Reply Post Reply