FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Prog is for nerds"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 01:37
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^But then how do I keep people out of my car?

That's a good point LOL. Playing A Louse Is Not a Home at a decent volume can really keep any creature away LOL.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 03:20
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

According to Wiki: Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating a person that is overly intellectual, obsessive, or lacking social skills. Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical, abstract, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities. Additionally, many so-called nerds are described as being shyquirkypedantic, and unattractive and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. Though originally derogatory, Nerd is a stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

Well, I may be intellectual, rebellious, non-conformist and occasionally obsessive BUT I am certainly not shy, do not lack any social skills, athletic, supposedly attractive, absolutely not pedantic and not ostentatious or arrogant about whatever knowledge I have acquired. I prefer this to being a brain dead caveman listening to pop/pap, uninformed about the world around, never having read 1 book and doing the same nihilism as everyone else.....Wink  So prog on, mofos! 

Absolutely

I don't recognize myself as a nerd (or geek, FTM) at all, whether today (now people would see me more of an elitist, though I think I don't do things to get portrayed as such) or back then (nerds were often losers)

Maybe I was lucky enough to be in two different Toronto High School where it was ok (or better, coolBeer) to like Genesis, Crimson, Zappa, Floyd... and even Yes and ELP Tongue

I was part of the football team (outside left linebackerStar and kicking team and we won a local championship and lost another final) and had some of the better looking broads of my different schools in my arms/legs Hug, had my car trunk filled with a coolbox filled with beers and the bag of weed next to it.

Had no problems with punkers (I liked Stranglers Clash & Police), but I must say that I was in opposition to "disco fags", though nowadays I realize that a lot of that "disco crap" (as I called it then) is really killer funk stuff. If today's dancing music was as good as that late-70's dsco, I'd probably be on the dancing floor much more often.

Edited by Sean Trane - February 11 2017 at 03:21
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 05:16
Prog, like all music, is for everyone. One thing life has taught me is that these flimsy people generalisations (music and style-wise) almost always end up being more about the author than actual real life. 
I've met prog fans who were stylish and suit wearing - prog fans but also skaters - prog fans without glasses and the need for playstations - prog fans that looked remarkably like Robert Smith during the 80s - prog fans with the IQ of Forrest Gump - prog fans that dug Diana Ross, King Crimson and Coldplay equally - prog fans that didn't make lists...

The only thing I can think of that binds us all together is the fact that I've never met a prog fan who didn't love Stanley Kubrick.

P.S. Nerds are not what they used to be - hell even the term has taken on an altogether different meaning. Here in Denmark it has almost lost all of it's derogatory meaning. We have tv for kids and teenagers called Nørd (nerd), where the hosts are well versed in physics, maths, history and furthermore look nothing like the zit-infested, snot-snorting, cokebottlebespectacled, poor nourished, weak and unhip nerd of the 90s/80s/70s/60s. 
Now they're in shape with a fine woman slouching on their arm (next to their ruler).

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 08:57
hahahah.. damn right it is!!!! Looks right at all you Genesis and Camel fans....nerds... whimps.. pussys LOL

to say nothing of you VDGG fans...  only prog fan would celebrate that sh*t.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahah.. damn right it is!!!! Looks right at all you Genesis and Camel fans....nerds... whimps.. pussys LOL

to say nothing of you VDGG fans...  only prog fan would celebrate that sh*t.....

You're an interesting guy. Confused
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 05:12
Whoever said that 'prog is for whoever likes it' got it right. I know plenty of geeks who don't listen to it. I know plenty of people that listen to prog who aren't nerds. I guess one could argue percentages and speculate what portion of prog fans are geeks/nerds as compared to "other types" of people. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12